Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

michael garvin

Brian Cushing - 2nd best combine behind Aaron Curry

35 posts in this topic

Our combine linebacker winner other than Curry: Brian Cushing, who was near the top for linebackers in nearly every test. The guy came in looking like a good player, he leaves looking like a freak. The good kind.

Top Performer In: 40-yard dash | Bench press | Vertical jump | Broad jump | 3-cone drill | 20-yard shuttle

"People tend to focus on the 40, and yes, that's important, but not at every position," Ruskell said. "Lofa's going to run 10 to 15 yards every play. He better be quick. If he's running 40 yards something very bad happened or he's scoring a touchdown."

Tatupu ran a better time during a workout at USC in March 2005, timed faster than 4.7 seconds. It was within an acceptable range for the Seahawks, who chose Tatupu in the second round. He ended up being a Pro Bowl selection his first three seasons.

Cushing is even better!

I like Cushing ALOT and he is who I would love to see the Falcons get, not sure we should trade up for him though unless its a 4th rounder. Too much value in the 2nd and 3rd to jump up IMO.

Also, is 500 pound squat that great for somone his size? I only weigh 181 pounds and maxed my squat at 380 last night.

I'm guessing combine numbers mean very little to TD and company. How Cushing did in the interview I'm sure trumps any other numbers he put up. I'm not saying we shouldn't draft Cushing, if he's available at 24, but I highly doubt that his numbers are going to tempt us to move up to get him.

actually 500 is probably not that much..but he has real good form and did several times.

I remember the Georgia team had like 40 players do it but its like combine height and weight they like squated it 5 inches lol

I like Cushing ALOT and he is who I would love to see the Falcons get, not sure we should trade up for him though unless its a 4th rounder. Too much value in the 2nd and 3rd to jump up IMO.

Also, is 500 pound squat that great for somone his size? I only weigh 181 pounds and maxed my squat at 380 last night.

500 is fine...its not great, but its fine.

Weight room numbers in football are highly overrated anyways...its good to be strong, but the majority of the best players arent the best in the weight room.

Charles Rogers maybe benches 320...maybe.

Chad Greenway maybe benches 360...maybe.

Our old friend Matt Lehr was the strongest guy on the team(and many NFL teams) and he isnt any good.

Terna Nande, a LB out of Miami(OH) in 2006 was benching easily over 500, and running a 4.5...and he isnt in the NFL anymore.

A monster out of the Army, Robert McCune, was benching way over 500 and running in the 4.4's, and he is lucky to make a roster here or there.

other than the bench press, I think Cushing's own teammate - Clay Matthews - beat Cushing in almost every combine event......so saying Cushing had the 2nd best combine would be false.

There are way too many good LBs to trade up in the 1st to get this guy. He may turn out to be very special but that would be a very bad move, IMO. Someone very good will be there at 24. I think Matthews will be just as good and he'll likely be there.

I don't know, maybe it's me, but everytime I see, hear, or read about Cushing...the word STEROIDS pops in my head. :mellow:

Aaron Curry is 4 times better than Cushing. Clay Matthews is better than Cushing.

I believe Aaron Curry is a once in every 10 years kind of defensive impact player. I would love to see TD do whatever it takes to get him. He would be a Pro Bowl player within 2 years, a smart, solid team leader with flawless physical and character qualities.

He would MAKE our defense respectable and within 2 years................DOMINANT.

My opinion only.

If we got cushing that would be friggin raw. We would be more draft away from having a sick LB core, but we would **** sure have some awesome building blocks.

Our combine linebacker winner other than Curry: Brian Cushing, who was near the top for linebackers in nearly every test. The guy came in looking like a good player, he leaves looking like a freak. The good kind.

Top Performer In: 40-yard dash | Bench press | Vertical jump | Broad jump | 3-cone drill | 20-yard shuttle

"People tend to focus on the 40, and yes, that's important, but not at every position," Ruskell said. "Lofa's going to run 10 to 15 yards every play. He better be quick. If he's running 40 yards something very bad happened or he's scoring a touchdown."

Tatupu ran a better time during a workout at USC in March 2005, timed faster than 4.7 seconds. It was within an acceptable range for the Seahawks, who chose Tatupu in the second round. He ended up being a Pro Bowl selection his first three seasons.

Cushing is even better!

Keyword is SECOND ROUND! You want us to draft a guy who ran a 4.7 in the first round because another team drafted a guy that ran the same thing in the second round? Just because they went to the same school and played the same position doesnt mean that they're gonna play the same. nice try thou.

Cushing is even better!

I like Cushing a WHOLE lot, but why trade up when you could probably sit at #24 and get Clay Matthews who beat Cushing in every area except on the bench(Cushing tied for 1st; 30 reps, Matthews; 23 reps) and and 3 cone (Cushing; 1st place, Matthews; 2nd place). These two are so close that it's probably not worth it trading up when the other guy may fall to you. Although, New England may snatch up Matthews right before us.

Matthews was also said to be smoother in space:

Matthews had a better day than Cushing, running a 4.67 40, recording a 10-1 broad jump and notching a vertical jump of 35.5. We were impressed with the way Matthews sank his hips and planted his outside foot when asked to switch directions. He also showed adequate burst coming out of his backpedal and looked more fluid than Cushing when asked to open his hips while backpedaling.

That and coming into the combine, he was already regarded as having the best pass rush moves of all the USC LB'ers.

There's litterally little that separates the two. The one significant area is experience. Matthews played behind River, Cushing and Mauluga and didn't shine until the 2008 season. Even with that he was a USC's 2-time special teams player of the year.

This guy fills EVERY need for a Falcons LB'er.

Trading up is just going to get us less players for more money. With the vick cap thing going on we better stick to value plays this time around.

I like Cushing a WHOLE lot, but why trade up when you could probably sit at #24 and get Clay Matthews who beat Cushing in every area except on the bench(Cushing tied for 1st; 30 reps, Matthews; 23 reps) and and 3 cone (Cushing; 1st place, Matthews; 2nd place). These two are so close that it's probably not worth it trading up when the other guy may fall to you. Although, New England may snatch up Matthews right before us.

Matthews was also said to be smoother in space:

Matthews had a better day than Cushing, running a 4.67 40, recording a 10-1 broad jump and notching a vertical jump of 35.5. We were impressed with the way Matthews sank his hips and planted his outside foot when asked to switch directions. He also showed adequate burst coming out of his backpedal and looked more fluid than Cushing when asked to open his hips while backpedaling.

That and coming into the combine, he was already regarded as having the best pass rush moves of all the USC LB'ers.

There's litterally little that separates the two. The one significant area is experience. Matthews played behind River, Cushing and Mauluga and didn't shine until the 2008 season. Even with that he was a USC's 2-time special teams player of the year.

This guy fills EVERY need for a Falcons LB'er.

yeah, I think I like Matthews better at this point. Less injury prone, no steroid rumors or looks plus he may be had a little further down the draft board.......I think Matthews is probably gone before pick #40 though.....

yeah, I think I like Matthews better at this point. Less injury prone, no steroid rumors or looks plus he may be had a little further down the draft board.......I think Matthews is probably gone before pick #40 though.....

Finally, some other people who agree Cushing is not better all around..

I don't know, maybe it's me, but everytime I see, hear, or read about Cushing...the word STEROIDS pops in my head. :mellow:

That's because you believe everything the media tells you. If he were black no one would say a word about steroids, they would just say he is a stud.

That's because you believe everything the media tells you. If he were black no one would say a word about steroids, they would just say he is a stud.

way to go......why don't we inject race into this? - makes perfect sense <_<