FA has gotten pretty thin...but it's a good thing...

This gives us a chance to focus primarily on our position of need: defensive tackle.

Due to how a lot of players are getting the franchise tag, it's obvious that we won't be as involved in FA this offseason, especially since it'll cost us a pick in the draft. I see us bringing our entire core group of defensive players back for another run, including Boley. It's already current talks of bringing back our veteran leaders in Brooking and Milloy. I mean, why not? Bring in talent to learn from our veteran leaders, it makes sense. The Falcons are going to keep things simple this offseason I think, but as far as FA, I'm sticking to the idea of Dimitroff shocking us all and signing a TE...Owen Daniels definately comes to mind since Dunta Robinson got the franchise tag from Houston. Also, we can be aggressive in signing some veteran talent to OL, but I think TD and Smitty are leaning towards building the line from the ground up with some younger talent also, so there's no need to spend any money in FA if we're gonna draft depth. That brings us to Haynesworth, although I still feel like we should sign Tank Johnson. He had much of his success in a front-4 defense and I don't think Dimitroff is willing to pay that much money to a player of Haynesworth's caliber. IMO, we would still be a lot better than we were last year with just those additions at TE and DT, as well as locking Foxworth up, plus we would have solid depth for the years ahead.

Discuss?

I agree that TD will build heavily through the draft. His background is as a college scout and to maintain success you gotta go with the girl that got you there. With that said, a FA that fills a hole immediately can't be a bad thing (i.e. Turner last offseason). I'd be happy with Johnson or Haynesworth so long as AH plays hard every down and so long as Tank registers his arsenal of guns.

I would lock up Owen Daniels with a 5 year contract and use the rest of our draft picks on defense and offensive linemen.

It's been mentioned that TD is looking to give Matt Ryan a weapon at TE...I understand Pettigrew is the name that's being thrown around, but I don't think we'll use our 1st on offense. If a TE falls into the later rounds, then we should pick one up, but I'd rather we sign a player with a few years under his belt that can come out starting...we won't know where we stand with Pettigrew, Coffman, Cook, or Ingram on whether they can grasp the offense and blocking schemes successfully to start.

Getting Owen Daniels would be huge for the O. Really like that pick up and hope it happens. I think that we'll pick up a FA DT too, but is that AH? The more i hear the idea of Tank Johnson the more i like it.

That probably means then that SS and OLB wil be looked at in the draft, probably early too.

Getting Owen Daniels would be huge for the O. Really like that pick up and hope it happens. I think that we'll pick up a FA DT too, but is that AH? The more i hear the idea of Tank Johnson the more i like it.

That probably means then that SS and OLB wil be looked at in the draft, probably early too.

Yea, but OLB is my main concern...that's a position we need some talent to make plays, our LB core was exposed a lot last year, but I feel like we should also look into some more depth at DE and DT as well to keep our pass rush strong...like, how sick would it be if we could possibly draft B.J. Raji and Micheal Johnson as added depth?

I think that we need to pick up a DT in FA, it is a must. I wouldn't mind AH or Tank. I think that we need to address DE in the second. If Cushing or JL are not there in 1st I can see us getting Pettigrew. He would be ready to go day one, as long as he can pick up the playbook. DAniels has not been regarded as a blocking TE, I have heard analysts say that he blocking was adequate but needs to improve.

I think that we need to pick up a DT in FA, it is a must. I wouldn't mind AH or Tank. I think that we need to address DE in the second. If Cushing or JL are not there in 1st I can see us getting Pettigrew. He would be ready to go day one, as long as he can pick up the playbook. DAniels has not been regarded as a blocking TE, I have heard analysts say that he blocking was adequate but needs to improve.

I see what you're saying, but what's more important? Looking into the future by drafting our veteran's replacements early or getting a couple of pieces in place to make another playoff run? The first option would mean that we would have to use our first few picks at OLB, SS, and C and maybe pick up a TE. The second option would mean that we use our first at TE, then possibly draft an OLB in the second, and from there draft depth at SS, T/C, DE, and DT...this is based on if we don't pursue Daniels in FA...if we do, then that leaves a pick we could use for another position. His blocking may be subpar, but with the right coaching (our coaching staff), he can improve.

I see what you're saying, but what's more important? Looking into the future by drafting our veteran's replacements early or getting a couple of pieces in place to make another playoff run? The first option would mean that we would have to use our first few picks at OLB, SS, and C and maybe pick up a TE. The second option would mean that we use our first at TE, then possibly draft an OLB in the second, and from there draft depth at SS, T/C, DT, and DE...this is based on if we don't pursue Daniels in FA...if we do, then that leaves a pick we could use for another position. His blocking maybe subpar, but with the right coaching (our coaching staff), he can improve.

I am not talking about replacing Abraham, I am talking about JA98.I would like to get Ayers or Kruger in the 2nd. I think that if we resign Milloy we can wait and see what we get out of Decoud and if the staff doesnt like what they see, they can pick up a Safety stud in 2010. I def think that we need a LB, but with the resinging of brooking we can develop a later round pick. Daniels is a RFA which means that we would have to give up a pick for him, and that depends on the tender that the Texans give him. I really hope that if Cushing or JL are gone we can find a way to trade down, if TD and Co dont want to get Pettigrew.

Me either...I'm talking about finding help for either Biermann or Fraser since there's rumors of Anderson possibly being moved into a DT role next season. He's a great run stuffer, but not as effective at rushing the passer. I completely forgot about Daniels being a RFA, so that scratches that idea, but that means we can possibly pick up Ingram or Coffman...I'm sure one of them will be lingering in the later rounds. I still feel that we need to find our veteran's replacements first, but we can't let one of those DEs get away from us...I think we pick Kruger or Johnson up around the 2nd, then draft a SS in the 3rd (probably Chung), then either a C or TE (Mack or Ingram/Coffman) with our 4th.