Who are your favorite guitarists

rvrndzombii

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Randy Rhoads, Andy Mckee(yes, out of left field I know), and my favorite... Michael Angelo Batio.

Good list, I was waiting for a Petrucci mention (and Vai, Satriani, Gilbert). Also Marty Friedman.

And if we're throwing James Taylor in, I have to say that one of my greatest acoustic guitar influences is Paul Simon. I also love flatpickers like Norman Blake and Tony Rice.

Wow. There are so many great players. I love Norman Blake but my favorite flat picker is Doc Watson. I had the chance to see Doc and his son Merle perform many times at the old Great South East Music Hall in Atlanta in the 70s.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Deep River Blues, my favorite Doc Watson tune.

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Has anyone mentioned Mick Ronson? Another more recent player of note is Fareed Haque, this clips talks about his prowess as both a Classical and Jazz guitarist. I had the pleasure of seeing him sit in with Yonder Mountain String Band and he tore it up as a flat picker as well. Not many players are that versatile:

Fareed tearing up a classical piece:

I thought about Ronson. I also liked the way Earl Slick played on some of the Bowie albums after Ronson. Great SE Music Hall...saw BB King there once. That was a funky place. The Sex Pistols opened their only US Tour there.

I was there. I saw tons of great artists there: John Hartford, John Prine, Doc, Ry Cooder, David Bromberg, Leo Kotke, Louden Wainwright III to name a few. Sat on the floor and drank buckets of beer. A little off subject but does anybody remember Thermos Greenwood and The Colored People? They were an Atlanta band that played there as well.

Time to add some flavor to this list:

Jesse Johnson From the Time

Prince

Santana

Louis Johnson A Slap Bass Legend

Ernie Isley

Slash

Johnson was/is cool. Very much in that Prince/James Brown style rhythm thing. Isley is probably one of the lesser appreciated guitar jocks. He can play the guitar right handed and flip it over and play it left handed without re-tuning. True story. As for bass....new can of worms. Stanley Clarke, Larry Graham, Bootsy, Whiz from Mother's Finest, Flea...all great funks style bassists.

And you should all check out Kaki King. She is freaking AWESOME.

Most all of my favorite have already been listed, so I'll add a few that haven't been listed yet.

Trey Anastasio, Robbie Robertson, George Harrison, Roy Nichols, Brad Paisley, Jimmy Herring, Tim Reynolds, Robert Cray, Brock Butler, John Butler, Trace Bundy, Justin King . . . I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Most all of my favorite have already been listed, so I'll add a few that haven't been listed yet.

Trey Anastasio, Robbie Robertson, George Harrison, Roy Nichols, Brad Paisley, Jimmy Herring, Tim Reynolds, Robert Cray, Brock Butler, John Butler, Trace Bundy, Justin King . . . I'm sure I'll think of more later.

YESSSSSSSSS.... huge panic fan.... listed the late great michael houser on my first page.. of course I havenet seen them with Jimmy but what I have heard has been awesome

YESSSSSSSSS.... huge panic fan.... listed the late great michael houser on my first page.. of course I havenet seen them with Jimmy but what I have heard has been awesome

I saw them with Jimmy in Huntsville 2 years ago (it was JB's birthday too, very cool) and Herring absolutely ripped. He was faithful to Houser's parts and added so much to them. He's blistering fast, but does it with superb feel and phrasing. He has a cool trick that in the middle of a run in the key of A, for example, he'll shift into A# for a few notes to add some dissonance, then resolve the phrase back in A, very cool sound. If you and I did it, it would just sound like we suck, but he pulls it off, haha.

I saw them with Jimmy in Huntsville 2 years ago (it was JB's birthday too, very cool) and Herring absolutely ripped. He was faithful to Houser's parts and added so much to them. He's blistering fast, but does it with superb feel and phrasing. He has a cool trick that in the middle of a run in the key of A, for example, he'll shift into A# for a few notes to add some dissonance, then resolve the phrase back in A, very cool sound. If you and I did it, it would just sound like we suck, but he pulls it off, haha.

i havent seen them since houser died. saw them a lot back then.. once george joined I kind of drifted away... I saw a clip of them playing somewhere and they had houser's guitar on stage... very cool...

i havent seen them since houser died. saw them a lot back then.. once george joined I kind of drifted away... I saw a clip of them playing somewhere and they had houser's guitar on stage... very cool...

I saw them in '04 with George in Columbus when I first got into them. At the time, he blew me away, but as I started listening to them more and more, and especially once I saw them with Herring, I realized something was missing when George was with them. He's a phenomenal guitar player, and I LOVED when he sang, haha, but the House and Herring eras are clearly better. My older brother used to follow them around alot, anytime they came anywhere near Georgia he would go see them.