Who are your favorite guitarists

rvrndzombii

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up on Hendrix, Page and Clapton. Rory Gallagher was also a favorite from that era as was Leslie West. I love what David Gilmour does and Zappa has to be in there somewhere. Peter Green who formed the original Fleetwood Mac is often overlooked. Oh, and John Fahey on the acoustic.

As far as today, lately I've been listening to Chris Duarte and John Mayer.

I grew up on Hendrix, Page and Clapton. Rory Gallagher was also a favorite from that era as was Leslie West. I love what David Gilmour does and Zappa has to be in there somewhere. Peter Green who formed the original Fleetwood Mac is often overlooked. Oh, and John Fahey on the acoustic.

As far as today, lately I've been listening to Chris Duarte and John Mayer.

I can't believe I left Gilmour out of my top 5!

Randy Rhoads just got bumped.......

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

With rare exception, I'm not a fan of the SMOOTH jazz guys.

But the straight ahead jazz players are just amazing.

Mike Stern and Michael Vincent are good exceptions for the smooth jazz format. And Jeff Golub is more like Carlton in that he's kind of a mildly overdriven jazz/blues hybrid. But for the most part, I like jazz players like Larry Coryell, Grant Green, Wes Montgomery, Mark Whitfield, etc. The true, old-style jazz players.

And if we're throwing James Taylor in, I have to say that one of my greatest acoustic guitar influences is Paul Simon. I also love flatpickers like Norman Blake and Tony Rice.

Paul Simon is great. i grew up listening to the old Simon and Garfunkel records. Their lyrics put most stuff to shame.

All my favorites have been mentioned except RATM -- Tom Morello

Good call. I'd have to add Albert Collins and David Grissom to the mix, too.

'Specially since my nicest guitar is Grissom's signature model PRS.

Also, can't believe I forgot Joe Pass. That dude is sheer genius.

Check out the flatpicking on this video (Norman Blake and Tony Rice). Some of you may not like the vocals, but the playing is stunning:

Wow...guitarists are so plentiful...good guitarists aren't hard to find either...great ones on the other hand...well, there's quite a few of them too... :P Off the top of my head, Clapton, BB King, Albert King, Duane Allman, Richie Sambora, Jack Ingram, Prince, David Gilmour, Robert Johnson, Chuck Berry, SRV, Jerry Garcia, Ry Cooder, Jack White, The Edge, Buddy Guy, Keith Richards, Brian May, Joe Perry, Eddie Hazel, and a little known guitarist from Alabama...can't think of his name, but used to play for this little bar band, Pretty Beat Up...really cool sound that you can tell has some blues, rock, and maybe just a hair of punk influence in his style... ;)

Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Randy Rhoads, Andy Mckee(yes, out of left field I know), and my favorite... Michael Angelo Batio.

Wow...guitarists are so plentiful...good guitarists aren't hard to find either...great ones on the other hand...well, there's quite a few of them too... :P Off the top of my head, Clapton, BB King, Albert King, Duane Allman, Richie Sambora, Jack Ingram, Prince, David Gilmour, Robert Johnson, Chuck Berry, SRV, Jerry Garcia, Ry Cooder, Jack White, The Edge, Buddy Guy, Keith Richards, Brian May, Joe Perry, Eddie Hazel, and a little known guitarist from Alabama...can't think of his name, but used to play for this little bar band, Pretty Beat Up...really cool sound that you can tell has some blues, rock, and maybe just a hair of punk influence in his style... ;)

I know that dude. He can play!

Pretty Beat Up? The Glimmer Twins want royalties!!

1. The Best Guitarist Ever-

- BucketHead-

buckethead.jpg

Youtube -Buckethead- 100's of Songs

Gun_N_Roses- Chinese Democracy-Guitarist

Shackler's Revenge

Guns N' Roses--Sorry

Guns N' Roses- Scraped

Buckethead - I Like It Raw (ODB Tribute)

2.Hendricks

3. Satriani

4. Page

I like More instrumental types

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5NndaA1ETY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5NndaA1ETY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5NndaA1ETY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Apparently I fail at embedding. Can someone repair this debacle?