Who are your favorite guitarists

rvrndzombii

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Phil Keaggy in beast mode!

Aside from METALLICUH!, probably the guys from Shadows Fall. Pretty diverse and bloody talented. I think one of them is called John.

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

I learned to play lead by playing along to BB King records so I'd have to throw the Three Kings (BB, Albert, Freddie) in the mix and, of course, my sig...Chuck Berry. I like the way James Taylor plays guitar. Can't forget Johnny Winter, the Brothers Young. I always liked Rory Gallagher for his spontaneity.The list just goes on and on. Many are good that I don't really like...most heavy metal guys and the real jazz phrasing guys. I respect them but they don't really touch me as a general rule.

I learned to play lead by playing along to BB King records so I'd have to throw the Three Kings (BB, Albert, Freddie) in the mix and, of course, my sig...Chuck Berry. I like the way James Taylor plays guitar. Can't forget Johnny Winter, the Brothers Young. I always liked Rory Gallagher for his spontaneity.The list just goes on and on. Many are good that I don't really like...most heavy metal guys and the real jazz phrasing guys. I respect them but they don't really touch me as a general rule.

With rare exception, I'm not a fan of the SMOOTH jazz guys.

But the straight ahead jazz players are just amazing.

Mike Stern and Michael Vince are good exceptions for the smooth jazz format. And Jeff Golub is more like Carlton in that he's kind of a mildly overdriven jazz/blues hybrid. But for the most part, I like jazz players like Larry Coryell, Grant Green, Wes Montgomery, Mark Whitfield, etc. The true, old-style jazz players.

And if we're throwing James Taylor in, I have to say that one of my greatest acoustic guitar influences is Paul Simon. I also love flatpickers like Norman Blake and Tony Rice.