Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dr. Zanzibar

Falcons could switch to a 3-4 Defense....

38 posts in this topic

....Even though I would hate it if we did.

I'll get to how we could possibly pull it off first, and why I hope we don't in a second.

I was curious as I looked at how guys like Kroy Biermann and Robert James fit into our scheme, and came away convinced we could do the 3-4. Hearing Dimitroff's compliments about JA98's "versatility" made me even more suspicious.

Not do it particulary well, at first, but between our roster, and some picks in this years draft, we might not be horrible at it.

The alignment would call for Trey Lewis (or draft pick) at NT, Jamaal Anderson at LE, and either Babs, John Abraham, or a draft pick at RE.

I do have a few problems with this though. We would need weight gains by our DEs, and while I think Anderson would be fine, or even more than fine at this slot, I don't like doing to Abraham what happened to him with the Jets and try to convert him into something he's not.

Our OLBs would be Biermann and Robert James, although I am a bit suspicious of James's 5'10 height, though that is only 2 inches shorter than the Steelers' James Harrison. Our ILBs would be Boley and Lofton.

My main problems with this are James' height once again, and I'm not sure about Biermanns ability to drop and cover the pass, though I am convinced he could be a stud on the pass rush.

To really make it click we would probably need to draft a guy like Sintim for LB or Tyson Jackson for RE in this draft, and to make it more dangerous, in 2010 we would need to get a hard hitting safety like Taylor Mays to be our Polamalu.

That said, I hope we don't do the 3-4, because while I love the versatility of the pass rush it offers, it really needs experience and synchronicity to make it effective. As an NFC South team, I think we should focus on the ability to stop the run, which I like from the 4-3 and we would be muzzling John Abraham's value to us as a pass rusher.

Another great reason to stay 4-3 is that so many other teams are switching to the 3-4. With us staying at the 4-3, we are better able to pick up guys who fit our system in the draft, so the 6 ft. 6 athletic DE might fall to us, while they choose some 6-2 guy who fits them at OLB.

Another added bonus is because the Defensive Lines in a 3-4 don't produce crazy stats, we can possibly pick up guys who were natural 4-3 linemen in college that went to 3-4 sytems in the pros, and possibly seem some production when we put them back in the 4-3.

For example, even if Vernon Ghoulston continues to be a "bust" in New York after Rex Ryan gets to him, with his poor coverage skills, I still believe he could be great as a hand in the ground RE, he reminds me alot of Abraham. And not just the fact that they are both 6-4, both 258 pounds, and both play(ed) for the Jets.

That said, if we could improve our D-line and get a NT who can penetrate the pocket, I wouldn't be against it if in the 2010 season, we became a 4-3 team that played 3-4 looks on occasion. It wouldn't be perfect, due to the weight difference stuff. But I could see Abraham being our main pass rusher in the 4-3 and Biermann or somebody else at LB rushing the passer out of the 3-4.

If I'm not mistaken, one of the greatest defenses ever executed was the 2000 Ravens (with Mike Smith as LB coach) where they lined up with a 4-3 base, but used the 3-4 as well.

I think the main things would be to see if we could get a good solid NT, if Biermann looks good in coverage, and if Curtis Lofton could take the next step and become the heart of our defense, similar to Ray Lewis who helped oversee the Ravens switching in and out of the 4-3 and 3-4 in 2000.

And Taylor Mays/Eric Berry would hurt either ;)

Smith is a pure 4-3 zone guy. everywhere he has been.

also, we paid Babs 25M this season. He doesnt fit in a 3-4 anywhere. He is a pure 4-3 DT.

we are comitted to the scheme, and that has been made clear.

also, we paid Babs 25M this season. He doesnt fit in a 3-4 anywhere. He is a pure 4-3 DT.

yep

^^^^

All of the responses are acting as if I were stating that we WERE going to a 3-4.

I clearly stated that we had the personnel where we COULD do it.

I also said that I hope we DON"T do it, but that I wouldn't be upset if after we got good at the 4-3 we played the 3-4 in certain situations.

Jeez, people on the forum are so anxious to be the next internet bada$$ they don't even really read what you type any more.

the OLB in a 3 - 4 are some of the best athletes on the field. Not to mention size is important. You don't want really tall guys so that linemen and lead blockers can get under their center of gravity or to short that they cannot be effective outside pass rushers. Not to mention they have to be fast and solid enough to take on power running games. Outside of maybe Boley I don't think we have a single person that can play OLB in a 3 - 4. Your ILB also need to be mobile but a little heavier than the OLB. Loften could probably play there. So, we would have to pick up at least 2 or 3 LB's to transition.

The DL is another story. Abe could play DE, I don't think he would fit at OLB. We don't have anyone to play nose and who know's who would play the other DE. It sure wouldn't be JA98. If you think he had problems in a 4 - 3 he would regress, if possible, in a 3 - 4. Plus, we signs babs to play tackle in 4 - 3. I don't think he could play end and is undersized for NT. We would need at least 2 in not 3 acquisitions with a 3 - 4

No way we have the personel to play man as much as it is required when running a 3 - 4. Maybe in a couple of years, but we would get embarrised running a 3 - 4 with the experience and talent we have right now. Need, 3 DB's.

So, I guess we could run a 3 - 4, but if we do we need 7 - 9 new quality faces to run it effectively. Teams are built around a coaching philosophy. Are defensive philososphy is the 4 - 3 cover 2 or 3 zone with occasional man under cover schemes. Going to a 3 - 4 makes 0 sense.

I prefer the 3 - 4 as well. It a much more aggressive style of defense and what we ran when I was in college. We just don't have the people to do it.

the OLB in a 3 - 4 are some of the best athletes on the field. Not to mention size is important. You don't want really tall guys so that linemen and lead blockers can get under their center of gravity or to short that they cannot be effective outside pass rushers. Not to mention they have to be fast and solid enough to take on power running games. Outside of maybe Boley I don't think we have a single person that can play OLB in a 3 - 4. Your ILB also need to be mobile but a little heavier than the OLB. Loften could probably play there. So, we would have to pick up at least 2 or 3 LB's to transition.

The DL is another story. Abe could play DE, I don't think he would fit at OLB. We don't have anyone to play nose and who know's who would play the other DE. It sure wouldn't be JA98. If you think he had problems in a 4 - 3 he would regress, if possible, in a 3 - 4. Plus, we signs babs to play tackle in 4 - 3. I don't think he could play end and is undersized for NT. We would need at least 2 in not 3 acquisitions with a 3 - 4

No way we have the personel to play man as much as it is required when running a 3 - 4. Maybe in a couple of years, but we would get embarrised running a 3 - 4 with the experience and talent we have right now. Need, 3 DB's.

So, I guess we could run a 3 - 4, but if we do we need 7 - 9 new quality faces to run it effectively. Teams are built around a coaching philosophy. Are defensive philososphy is the 4 - 3 cover 2 or 3 zone with occasional man under cover schemes. Going to a 3 - 4 makes 0 sense.

I prefer the 3 - 4 as well. It a much more aggressive style of defense and what we ran when I was in college. We just don't have the people to do it.

How do you explain 6-3 Terell Suggs, 6-3 Joey Porter, 6-4 Demarcus Ware, 6-4 Shawn Merriman, if those heights are too tall?

How do you explain 6-3 Terell Suggs, 6-3 Joey Porter, 6-4 Demarcus Ware, 6-4 Shawn Merriman, if those heights are too tall?

Naw, 6 - 3 is okay. 6-4 is pushing it. Isnt JA98 something like 6-5? I'm just saying I don't think he could play OLB. Plus I don't think he is athletic enough.

I don't totally disagree with you. Most of our team could transition, but I think they would be more effective in a 4 - 3. Our d wasnt that good with guys who were specifically drafted/picked up for a 4 - 3. I wish we could change because I prefer a blitzing/man style over a 4-3.

Naw, 6 - 3 is okay. 6-4 is pushing it. Isnt JA98 something like 6-5? I'm just saying I don't think he could play OLB. Plus I don't think he is athletic enough.

I don't totally disagree with you. Most of our team could transition, but I think they would be more effective in a 4 - 3. Our d wasnt that good with guys who were specifically drafted/picked up for a 4 - 3. I wish we could change because I prefer a blitzing/man style over a 4-3.

Oh, I was saying JA98 would be a DE in a 3-4 not an OLB. He would have to put on some weight though.

Oh, I was saying JA98 would be a DE in a 3-4 not an OLB. He would have to put on some weight though.

yeah, I don't know. I'm not a JA98 fan. I mean I want the dude to succeed and make the team better, but so far he has just out sucked. 3 - 4 DE's are a little more stay at home, but have to be able to control their gap. The middle LB's have got to be able to get to the line of scrimmage and quickly scrape in a 3 - 4. I would hate to think of what would happen to Loften if JA98 or the NT for that matter couldnt tie up the O-linemen at least for a half second or so.

All of the responses are acting as if I were stating that we WERE going to a 3-4.

I clearly stated that we had the personnel where we COULD do it.

I also said that I hope we DON"T do it, but that I wouldn't be upset if after we got good at the 4-3 we played the 3-4 in certain situations.

Jeez, people on the forum are so anxious to be the next internet bada$$ they don't even really read what you type any more.

No. Please. Internet badazz is for 12 year olds. The adults on these forums are sick of every tool in the shed making 3-4 defense threads because a team with a 3-4 won the super bowl.

No. Please. Internet badazz is for 12 year olds. The adults on these forums are sick of every tool in the shed making 3-4 defense threads because a team with a 3-4 won the super bowl.

Did you call me a "tool in the shed" ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guess you didn't read where I said we shouldn't do it. The premise was I was suspicious of personnel drafted last year, and was looking at the roster to see if we had the guys to pull if off. I specifically said i DON"T want us to do it, but if we used it on certain downs in 2010, after our 4-3 was set, I'd welcome it.

Comrade:

Your post is possible, and in fact could be a 1 year premature post.

What I think that The Comradaski is driving at is the potential signing of

Larry English. 6'2 254.

This is a real good size for a 3/4 LB

We draft this guy and Sign Fat Albert, then the picture clears up.

You can trust in one thing here.

Smitty and Van Gorder are both DC's by Nature and these guys know how

to optimize a 3/4 like the back of their hands.

Also if Smitty and BVG are to switch to a 3/4 this would be TOP SECRET

otherwise the Draft will be a BUST.

English Lofton Brook Abraham--------Sign Fat Albert and this just works!

Great Post Comrade

Comrade:

Your post is possible, and in fact could be a 1 year premature post.

What I think that The Comradaski is driving at is the potential signing of

Larry English. 6'2 254.

This is a real good size for a 3/4 LB

We draft this guy and Sign Fat Albert, then the picture clears up.

You can trust in one thing here.

Smitty and Van Gorder are both DC's by Nature and these guys know how

to optimize a 3/4 like the back of their hands.

Also if Smitty and BVG are to switch to a 3/4 this would be TOP SECRET

otherwise the Draft will be a BUST.

English Lofton Brook Abraham--------Sign Fat Albert and this just works!

Great Post Comrade

Lol, if we draft English I will be REALLY suspicious.

Honestly though, I prefer us to reap the benefits of being one of the diminishing number of teams who stick with the 4-3, but if we got good at it, I would like to see if we could screw with people with a 3-4 look on certain downs.

I'm not FOR it, but I'm not AGAINST it either. I've seen us run a 335, so I dont see why we couldnt have a 34 package. With current personnel:

DE-Anderson

DT-Gravy

DE-Babs

OLB-Nicholas

ILB-Lofton

ILB-Brooking

OLB-Beerman

This is respecting Abe's view of the 34 as the Antichrist of course :D

It CAN be done, the same way Norwood CAN play wildcat QB. It could be effective in spurts, but there is really no reason to install it for every play.

I'm not FOR it, but I'm not AGAINST it either. I've seen us run a 335, so I dont see why we couldnt have a 34 package. With current personnel:

DE-Anderson

DT-Gravy

DE-Babs

OLB-Nicholas

ILB-Lofton

ILB-Brooking

OLB-Beerman

This is respecting Abe's view of the 34 as the Antichrist of course :D

It CAN be done, the same way Norwood CAN play wildcat QB. It could be effective in spurts, but there is really no reason to install it for every play.

Yeah that's what I'm saying. Basically I was worried when I thought about the reason for drafting guys like Biermann and James, and then TD complimenting JA98, but I think when we get our NT everything in our 4-3 will look a whole lot better.