Please stick to rebuilding!

ThunderCookie

We have seen the same vicious cycle every year across the NFL. Teams get a taste of success and start chasing over paid, over the hill free agents trying to find that one player who will get them over the hump. Almost always, the teams go right back down hill. We have seen it here several times. We went chasing rainbows instead of focusing on a consistent winner.

Let's face it, on defense we either need upgrades or future starters at almost every position. (Thank God for Lofton.) Even our best two players are getting older. Spending a gob of cash on one position will win you a headline not a game. I think TD is smarter than the GM's of the past, but I would love to see some rules for free agents added.

Like no free agent older than 26, and no free agent that would demand top 5 money. We need foundation not flash. We need depth not stars. How many times have we been on the cusp of great things only to say, "If it wasn't for the injury bug..."

Like I said, I have faith that TD will do the right the thing. I also know he has forgotten more about player personnel than I will ever know.

Still...

I have been a Falcon fan for over 30 years. It is natural to be nervous. :D

No, we are already rebuilt if you didnt know. We already have young players. What sense does it make bringing in even younger players to compete for starting jobs? At least with veteran free agents, we know what we are getting or at least we have a nfl resume to look at. You dont have that luxury with college players coming into the the nfl looking for a starting position. We lucked up getting matt, sam and harry to become instant playmakers, which lead us to an 11-5 record. Usually rookies and young players have a vet to learn from and to teach them the ropes. Who would we have to teach younger players the ropes of the nfl???More young players. This is why chris houston never really caught on. He had no one but d-hall to learn from and to help him understand being a corner in the nfl. Look how it helped with roddy learning from joe horn. Enough said. We need veteran leadership...

I see what your saying crank, but one thing you have to agree with is us NOT spending most of our cash on one big name player. If he goes down, we are in trouble. I would rather they spend the money on 3 above average players than one superstar. Football is the ultimate team sport, and one man cant do it all.

. Spending a gob of cash on one position will win you a headline not a game. I think TD is smarter than the GM's of the past, but I would love to see some rules for free agents added.

Like no free agent older than 26, and no free agent that would demand top 5 money. We need foundation not flash. We need depth not stars. How many times have we been on the cusp of great things only to say, "If it wasn't for the injury bug..."

Most players graduate at 21/22 years old and most first time contracts are for 3/4 years. Your 26 year old limit does not give a FA much chance of ever becoming a Falcon.

If you think we're already rebuilt then you're wrong

when you say the term rebuilt, that means the whole franchise..we are already "rebuilt" so to speak. We do not have the same team from a year or two ago. We may be missing a piece here and a piece their, but as far as rebuilding goes, That process is just about completed. When you rebuild something, you tear it down and start from ground zero again. We dont need to do that. its already been done.

I see what your saying crank, but one thing you have to agree with is us NOT spending most of our cash on one big name player. If he goes down, we are in trouble. I would rather they spend the money on 3 above average players than one superstar. Football is the ultimate team sport, and one man cant do it all.

i agree...But when u have a player like AH, and seeing that is a big position of need for us, its kinda hard not to wonder the what if's...

when you say the term rebuilt, that means the whole franchise..we are already "rebuilt" so to speak. We do not have the same team from a year or two ago. We may be missing a piece here and a piece their, but as far as rebuilding goes, That process is just about completed. When you rebuild something, you tear it down and start from ground zero again. We dont need to do that. its already been done.

I mostly agree. A quick look at the roster will show that about 2/3 of the defense has been on the team less than 3 years (funny because that's where the Falcons still need work) and 1/2 of the offense has been on the team less than 3 years. I did not count them out but that's pretty close. So I think the falcons are still in the rebuilding process. (ie the frame is dried in, now is time for finish work)

. Spending a gob of cash on one position will win you a headline not a game. I think TD is smarter than the GM's of the past, but I would love to see some rules for free agents added.

Most players graduate at 21/22 years old and most first time contracts are for 3/4 years. Your 26 year old limit does not give a FA much chance of ever becoming a Falcon.

I see what you are saying about the age, and to be honest that was just a number I threw out. Mainly, I don't want a two year contract mercenary. I would like to see free agent signings like Turner. Players who could be expected to be around for the next four years.

No, we are already rebuilt if you didnt know. We already have young players. What sense does it make bringing in even younger players to compete for starting jobs? At least with veteran free agents, we know what we are getting or at least we have a nfl resume to look at. You dont have that luxury with college players coming into the the nfl looking for a starting position. We lucked up getting matt, sam and harry to become instant playmakers, which lead us to an 11-5 record. Usually rookies and young players have a vet to learn from and to teach them the ropes. Who would we have to teach younger players the ropes of the nfl???More young players. This is why chris houston never really caught on. He had no one but d-hall to learn from and to help him understand being a corner in the nfl. Look how it helped with roddy learning from joe horn. Enough said. We need veteran leadership...

We need 2 starting quality linebackers, 2 starting quality DT, 1 starting quality DE, an eventual replacement for JA55, an upgrade at at least one CB, possibly a safety, a pass catching TE, possibly upgrades along the right side of the OL, and decent depth across both lines.

Is that really rebuilt?

As far veteran leadership goes, just keep Lawyer Milloy around. If every player worked as hard, played as hard, and hit as hard as Lawyer, well Super Bowl here we come. He IS the mindset our defense needs.

We have seen McKay over pay in the past for that "one" position. It has never worked. Even the Predator spent his whole first year hurt. I say stay smart, stay team oriented, and stay system specific.

No formula is the same for every team. You make decisions based on needs and who is out there. For every team in the Haynesworth mix, there will be one looking at Jovan Haye or Antonio Smith. Sometimes other signings dictate your actions. Because teams are rising and falling so quickly, every season is a rebuilding process of some sort, whether it is in players or contract structuring. While the salary of a top 5 player might seem too much based on ability and performance, management is considering ticket/merchandise/media sales as part of the equation.

We need 2 starting quality linebackers, 2 starting quality DT, 1 starting quality DE, an eventual replacement for JA55, an upgrade at at least one CB, possibly a safety, a pass catching TE, possibly upgrades along the right side of the OL, and decent depth across both lines.

Is that really rebuilt?

As far veteran leadership goes, just keep Lawyer Milloy around. If every player worked as hard, played as hard, and hit as hard as Lawyer, well Super Bowl here we come. He IS the mindset our defense needs.

We have seen McKay over pay in the past for that "one" position. It has never worked. Even the Predator spent his whole first year hurt. I say stay smart, stay team oriented, and stay system specific.

3 of those positions you just named can be taken care of through free agency..thats not considered rebuilding. Thats picking up the missing pieces we need..We rebuiit last year hence the 4-12 season from 2007. new front office, new coaches, new face of franchise, even upgrade to the dome..we did that. now we are just a few pieces away...not in a rebuilding mode.

we are not rebuilt. our defense isn't where it needs to be. while our offense was DRASTICALLY improved last year it still isnt near its potential IMO.

as of right now we need 2 LBs, a SS, maybe another corner, a NT, a TE and those are just the starters. i'm not even including the depth we need (almost every pos. on the oline and dline). we still have more work to do. i'd like to see the FAs we bring in be no older than 28-29 years old.

as far as leadership i'm not too concerned about that. i think we have some guys that can be vocal leaders (mcclure, ryan, abe, foxy assuming he's resigned) but we also have a couple of guys that lead by exampe, which is just as valuable IMO (roddy, turner, coleman, babs, lofton, ovie). i think ryan will take over the team next year as our main leader, similar to brady, manning, brees, etc. guys will want to play hard for him and they'll know that as long as they do their job ryan will get us into our best possible position to win games. heck, you never know, we may end up drafting a rookie that becomes a leader in his rookie year (willis, ryans, merriman, you could make a case for ryan). smitty and ryan will make sure the team is headed in the right direction.

another thing to look at is the fact that we have a couple of guys going into their 3rd years (houston, blalock, ja98) and other vets that are going into another year of fulltime starting (foxy, coleman, babs) that should step their game up even more next year. i think TD and smitty will do a good job with building what we have started and our team will continue to improve.

I think there should be an even mix. Move Boley to the outside and get a seasoned vet to hold down the weakside. We have a young team. Only concerning ourselves with youth and depth might blow up in our faces. Some players might turn out to be busts. But I have faith in our Gm. I refer to the Patriots and what A job he did scouting for them. He knows what to look for in a player.

Most guys here aren't lobbying for over the hill players. They are lobbying for AH, Sean Jones, and Nmandi Alphabet. All are young in their 20's.

That's kind of the problem, The fans are lobbying for their proposed solution to a need by a specific player

I think most objectors think the fans should lobby for the position (ie DT, CB, or whatever) and let TD and Smith pick the player they want to fill that need.