Pettigrew is OLD... AND he has assaulted a police officer

Pettigrew is almost two weeks older than me. And to be fair, I should have graduated college 2 years ago (wahoo, 3 months left!). He will be 24 when drafted. 24! I think he is older than half the team.

And he was charged with felony assault and battery on a police officer and public intoxication. Apparently, after a bar fight, he was given warnings to leave the area. He refused, and hit an officer in the chest. Who knows how much of a blow was actually given, but after showing up 3 hours late to court (how he wasn't given a "Failure to appear" and an arrest warrant is beyond me), managed to plead to misdemeanor assault and battery and public intoxication. It looks like he still has 4 months of probation.

Here's a bit:

"According to an affidavit by Stillwater Police Officer Paul Priegel, Pettigrew was arrested about 1:30 a.m. Jan. 20 in the 2300 block of North Dryden Street, where police were sent on a report of a fight in progress involving 10 to 15 individuals in the area.

Pettigrew was angry and cursing, according to the affidavit.

He was handcuffed but handcuffs were removed after he calmed down.

As police were walking Pettigrew to a friend's car for a ride home, the player, "stopped in the middle of the road and started to turn back around. I told Pettigrew to keep walking," Priegel wrote in his affidavit.

"After I said this, Pettigrew turned slightly towards me, pulled his elbow into his center and elbowed me in the chest to the point of knocking me back off center," and cursed at him, Priegel wrote in his affidavit."

It doesn't sound like a big hit, but I don't think he sounds like a serious Dimitroff type of character. I like seeing the nasty demeanor in his scouting reports, along with being able to block and catch at 6 ft 6 and 280, but I think he would have to show something big to get past this. And I know (or, looking at the last draft) we like the guys who go through 4 years of college, but the dude will be 24. So, he will be good (or great, or whatever) by the time most TE's are halfway through their NFL careers?

Personally, I could see us passing on him. I would rather grab a LB or any defensive lineman.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.a...B2_OLHMTT886984

Our needs are defensive and there should be a very good defensive player that is a need and arguably is close to a BPA at the 24th pick. Hartstock and Peele are certainly adequate unlike what we have on the defensive side of the ball. It would be great to pick a James L., Cushing, English, Tyson Jackson, Kruger, Clay Matthews, etc. in the first round.

It's that time of year when the mock draft bloggers go to people's heads and actually convince them tight end is the biggest need. I wish I could figure out who all these people are that drink the mock draft kool aid and start selling them homes above the old market value. :rolleyes:

On a different note, I don't mind dline guys being the bad boys to some extent but if this guy really has a composure problem just imagine what he will be like in press conferences when Ryan doesn't give him the ball.

24 years old is not an issue - so drop that......Tight Ends can be productive through about 35yrs old - 11 year career is worth drafting......

As far as the assault on the police officer, this obviously is something that reflects poorly on Pettigrew. If its an isolated incident then I don't think this takes Pettigrew out of the mix. The Atlanta Falcons will thouroughly research Pettigrew's character - if he's a bad apple then the Falcons won't consider drafting him. If this was isolated and Pettigrew has good character but an unfortunate bad night while intoxicated - but no pattern of bad behaviour - then I think Pettigrew could be a Falcon if he grades out high enough for Dimitroff and is available at #24.

He's not worth touching people here and draftniks everywhere are so far off base when they see him in Atlanta. The Assault alone took him off our boards if he was ever even on it. This system does not require a first round TE...look at Mularkey's past, it's just not in the cards folks.

Age isnt an issue as a matter of fact it's better. Since he's 24 if we sign him to a four or five year deal he'll be 28, 29. That's about his prime and we can sign him for another similar contract if he works out well which would end around the time his play would start to diminish.

First off don't get the age thing, i see a ton of love for Jerry who is older. Second the assault doesn't automatically take him off the Falcons board either. If he's the BPA at 24 we would probably take him and make our offense that much better. Both a receiving and blocking threat, just look at how well Matt Ryan used Purvis at BC