Could Igor Olshansky be the Jewish ALBERT HAYNESWORTH?

:lol:

Not sure why you're laughing, as the joke is squarely on you. The irony I mentioned lies in the fact that, had you actually read this entire thread, you would have known that Olshansky is, in fact, an UFA this year. On top of that, word around the Chargers is that they have no intention of trying to resign him.

So, yes - he's quite available.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Author's note: First of all, I'd like to thank "dv falcon" and "Voice of Reason" for introducing me to Igor in a prior thread.

Okay, To Make My Case for Igor, I must first explain to you why Albert Haynesworth Is So Good.

1. Size

Albert Haynesworth is a big dude. 6 ft. 6 and 320 pounds. Part of the reason he is so hard to block is pure physics mixed with anatomy. When he goes up against a guard or center, his extra inch or two on them means that when he gets under them, him fully extending his body after the snap is such where if they don't pay attention, they could be knocked back on their heels which is a horrible way to start a play for an offense. While it's not a huge difference in height between an Offensive Tackles and Offensive Guards, Guards usually aren't as talented as tackles and can get away with being a bit shorter. For example Sam Baker is 6 ft. 5, while Justin Blalock is 6 ft. 3. Haynesworth's long arms can hold his man away from him, giving him much more maneuverability than a smaller man.

Igor Olshansky is just as big. 6 ft. 6 and 309 pounds, with a frame to put on more.

2. Strength

Albert Haynesworth is strong. When it was time for him to come to the NFL people buzzed about the fact that he could bench press over 500 pounds. I don't think I need to tell you why that is important for a defensive lineman.

Igor Olshansky? He is one of the strongest men in the NFL. His highest bench press total is 515.

3. Attitude

Haynesworth is a nasty man to block, he hits hard and plays till the whistle blows. He has that classic mean streak you want to see, with the most famous example being the face stomping incident after he was cut blocked.

Olshansky is one mean dude too. He plays with intensity and has his own violent incident, in case that is what you need to be convinced. In 2006, the same year Haynesworth was suspended for his conduct, Olshansky was fined 10 thousand dollars for punching an offensive lineman in the face after being cut blocked in a game versus the denver broncos.

4. Skill

Albert Haynesworth was on the verge of being kicked off of his team, even before he stomped on the guys face, because he wasn't performing at a high enough level. After training with Chuck Smith, he has become a premier pass rushing DT in the NFL, sometimes even on double teams.

Igor Olshansky is talented but doesn't yet have the skillset of Haynesworth. In my estimation he is about the same place Haynesworth was before he began to train with Chuck Smith. At the same time though, Olshansky is playing in a 3-4 defense, and those guys are not expected to get the sacks that linemen in a 4-3 are. It is the blitzing linebacker like James Harrison of the Steelers or Shawn Merriman of the Chargers that usually get the glory in those schemes.

So I am asking that we bring this powerful man to Atlanta, have him spend time this offseason training with Chuck Smith, and see if we can get results.

As a bonus, he is a free agent this year, is one year younger than Haynesworth, and while Haynesworth made over 7 million dollars last year, Olshansky only received a bit over 1 million.

So please, bring Olshansky to Atlanta Dimitroff.

A video of him working out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNcZGcQ_Hcg

You're Welcome.Olshansky would be a Free Agent pickup like Erik Coleman was.Great Players by a couple of seasons, then the teams changed the defensive scheme and those guys were benched.Olshanky has the tools to make the transition to DT.Really hope TD signs the guy.

The question is can Igor make the switch not only from 3-4 DE to the 4-3, but a 4-3 NT. People bring up size for our NT all the time; is Igor, even @ 6 ft. 6 and 309 pounds, big enough to be the NT that we need? I personally think he could. Our line would be slightly undersized, but that wouldnt matter cuz he's a monster. The AH comparison is not a good one player vs. player, but if you are talking pickup vs. pickup, I think it could be close to even.

Thanx Tandy :D:D

The question is can Igor make the switch not only from 3-4 DE to the 4-3, but a 4-3 NT. People bring up size for our NT all the time; is Igor, even @ 6 ft. 6 and 309 pounds, big enough to be the NT that we need? I personally think he could. Our line would be slightly undersized, but that wouldnt matter cuz he's a monster. The AH comparison is not a good one player vs. player, but if you are talking pickup vs. pickup, I think it could be close to even.

You aren't the REAL Tony Graziani are you? If so, I'm honored to have my thread be your first post.

I really do wish we could bring this guy to the falcon's front office's attention.

Does anybody have any pull with flowery branch?

You aren't the REAL Tony Graziani are you? If so, I'm honored to have my thread be your first post.

I really do wish we could bring this guy to the falcon's front office's attention.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I guarantee you that they have info on every free agent. Just because they don't publicize the moves they are making doesn't mean they aren't looking at all angles to make the best decision.

You are welcome :D

Haha no buddy :lol::lol: I was just his biggest fan when I started watchin the Falcons (when I was like 7). I thought he should start over Chris Chandler :lol::lol::lol::lol:

As far as the F.O., I'm sure they've heard of him.... ^_^

I'd love to have Olshansky replace JA98 @ DE & then move JA98 to DT on pass rushing downs (seriously what else can we do w/ JA98)

This is more about Olshansky >>>>JA98 than it is about AH>>>>>Olshansky.

In a perfect world we'd have a MONSTER DL & sign both Olshansky & AH, but that's not gonna happen.

Just goes to show you how damaging it was to waste the draft pick & $$ on JA98 & what a hole we are in b/c of him.

Yeah hindsight is 20/20.

IGOR!!!!!!!!! - Per Rotoworld - The Chargers are not expected to retain free agent DE Igor Olshansky.

Olshansky's motor runs hot and cold, but another team surely will take a flier on the 6'6/309-pounder.

He could land with a team looking for power up front.-----------------That sounds like The Falcons to me

spts_olshansky280.jpg

PS - I work w/ a Russian immigrant whose entire family is Jewish.

As for his motor running hot and cold- He'd be in a rotation here, whereas I believe he was almost every down at SD. I think that would help him go 100% for the downs he was in.

The way we use our DL is another reason I'm not sure I want Haynesworth. He'd be a rotational player, regardless of the enormous talent he is during contract years.

I'd love to have Olshansky replace JA98 @ DE & then move JA98 to DT on pass rushing downs (seriously what else can we do w/ JA98)

This is more about Olshansky >>>>JA98 than it is about AH>>>>>Olshansky.

In a perfect world we'd have a MONSTER DL & sign both Olshansky & AH, but that's not gonna happen.

Just goes to show you how damaging it was to waste the draft pick & $$ on JA98 & what a hole we are in b/c of him.

Yeah hindsight is 20/20.

IGOR!!!!!!!!! - Per Rotoworld - The Chargers are not expected to retain free agent DE Igor Olshansky.

Olshansky's motor runs hot and cold, but another team surely will take a flier on the 6'6/309-pounder.

He could land with a team looking for power up front.-----------------That sounds like The Falcons to me

spts_olshansky280.jpg

PS - I work w/ a Russian immigrant whose entire family is Jewish.

Honestly, if we could get Tank AND Igor at a pretty good price each, I'd take both.

Tank could still do some damage in a 4 3, and he has cleaned up his act since he was cut by Chicago.

If we could pull this off, and get both to produce, we'd be like the Giants in deep rotation, but from the inside out.

Honestly, if we could get Tank AND Igor at a pretty good price each, I'd take both.

Tank could still do some damage in a 4 3, and he has cleaned up his act since he was cut by Chicago.

If we could pull this off, and get both to produce, we'd be like the Giants in deep rotation, but from the inside out.

I don't believe we'd need another NT.

Remember, Trey Lewis will be back. And at 6'2" 323, we'd have quite a rotation at the nose.

With Babs (6'2" 284) and JA98 (6'6" 282) we'd have our UT set.

I still think JA98 would have to add more weight to be more effective at a DT, and Olshansky would probably want to gain weight to be a more effective NT. Still, our line could develop into quite an opposing force.

This is his Wiki profile:

Early years

He attended St. Ignatius College Preparatory, where he played basketball until his junior year. He was first-team all-league, second-team all-metro by the San Francisco Examiner and honorable mention all-area by San Jose Mercury News.

College career

At the University of Oregon, where he majored in psychology, he was second-team All-Pac-10 as a junior, honorable mention as sophomore, and recipient of the Joe Schaffeld Trophy as the Ducks top defensive lineman after his sophomore and junior seasons. At Oregon, he set a team record with a 505-pound bench press. After an outstanding career for the Ducks, Igor left school following his junior season.

NFL career

NFL Draft 2004

In the second round (# 35 overall) of the 2004 NFL Draft, the San Diego Chargers selected Igor Olshansky out of the University of Oregon. In August, 2004, Igor and the Chargers agreed on a 6-year contract.

Pre-draft measureables

Weight - 318 lb...(Interesting, he's lost weight to play the DE in the 3-4, maybe he could put it back on)

San Diego Chargers

Olshansky has helped make the Chargers defensive line one of the leagues best. His play helped finish the 2005 season atop the league rankings for allowing only 84.3 yards per game. In 2004, when he started as a rookie, the Chargers finished third in the NFL in rushing defense, allowing only 81.7 yards per game. Currently, Igor starts at right defensive end alongside Jamal Williams and Luis Castillo.

Olshansky vs. Nalen

Olshansky was ejected from a game against the Denver Broncos November 19, 2006, for punching Broncos center Tom Nalen, after what appeared to be Nalen trying to cut block Olshansky on a clock-stopping spike play. Olshansky had recently had knee surgery when Nalen went after Olshansky's knees. Two days later, the NFL fined Nalen $25,000 for the cut block, more than double the $10,000 fine Olshansky received for the punch.

Personal

Igor is married to the former Liya Rubinshteyn and currently lives with her in San Diego. His grandfather Abraham Rubashevsky fought for the Red Army in World War II and was wounded 11 times, leaving his left hand disabled. Due in part to the influence of his grandfather, he still studies military history and martial arts. Olshansky is Jewish, and currently is one of the more visible Jewish athletes. He has many tattoos, including two of the Star of David. He is regularly featured in Jewish news publications locally and nationally. During his youth, Igor attended the Hebrew Academy of San Francisco, an Orthodox Jewish day school.

Personally, I loved that he punched Nalen in the face. That sh!t is uncalled for (the cut block, not the retaliation). Good for Igor! Makes me kind of want him, too. :lol:

• 2 months later...

Lol, just doing my part to clean out the front page from all the discussions of Mr. Glass.

IGOOOOOOOOOR

Seriously though Vince Oghobaase 6 ft. 6, 310 out of Duke is my new person I'm watching.

But he's still not as strong as Igor I don't think...but who is?

But at least Vince isn't playing for the freaking Cowboys right now.

(sigh)