Could Igor Olshansky be the Jewish ALBERT HAYNESWORTH?

Author's note: First of all, I'd like to thank "dv falcon" and "Voice of Reason" for introducing me to Igor in a prior thread.

Okay, To Make My Case for Igor, I must first explain to you why Albert Haynesworth Is So Good.

1. Size

Albert Haynesworth is a big dude. 6 ft. 6 and 320 pounds. Part of the reason he is so hard to block is pure physics mixed with anatomy. When he goes up against a guard or center, his extra inch or two on them means that when he gets under them, him fully extending his body after the snap is such where if they don't pay attention, they could be knocked back on their heels which is a horrible way to start a play for an offense. While it's not a huge difference in height between an Offensive Tackles and Offensive Guards, Guards usually aren't as talented as tackles and can get away with being a bit shorter. For example Sam Baker is 6 ft. 5, while Justin Blalock is 6 ft. 3. Haynesworth's long arms can hold his man away from him, giving him much more maneuverability than a smaller man.

Igor Olshansky is just as big. 6 ft. 6 and 309 pounds, with a frame to put on more.

2. Strength

Albert Haynesworth is strong. When it was time for him to come to the NFL people buzzed about the fact that he could bench press over 500 pounds. I don't think I need to tell you why that is important for a defensive lineman.

Igor Olshansky? He is one of the strongest men in the NFL. His highest bench press total is 515.

3. Attitude

Haynesworth is a nasty man to block, he hits hard and plays till the whistle blows. He has that classic mean streak you want to see, with the most famous example being the face stomping incident after he was cut blocked.

Olshansky is one mean dude too. He plays with intensity and has his own violent incident, in case that is what you need to be convinced. In 2006, the same year Haynesworth was suspended for his conduct, Olshansky was fined 10 thousand dollars for punching an offensive lineman in the face after being cut blocked in a game versus the denver broncos.

4. Skill

Albert Haynesworth was on the verge of being kicked off of his team, even before he stomped on the guys face, because he wasn't performing at a high enough level. After training with Chuck Smith, he has become a premier pass rushing DT in the NFL, sometimes even on double teams.

Igor Olshansky is talented but doesn't yet have the skillset of Haynesworth. In my estimation he is about the same place Haynesworth was before he began to train with Chuck Smith. At the same time though, Olshansky is playing in a 3-4 defense, and those guys are not expected to get the sacks that linemen in a 4-3 are. It is the blitzing linebacker like James Harrison of the Steelers or Shawn Merriman of the Chargers that usually get the glory in those schemes.

So I am asking that we bring this powerful man to Atlanta, have him spend time this offseason training with Chuck Smith, and see if we can get results.

As a bonus, he is a free agent this year, is one year younger than Haynesworth, and while Haynesworth made over 7 million dollars last year, Olshansky only received a bit over 1 million.

So please, bring Olshansky to Atlanta Dimitroff.

A video of him working out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNcZGcQ_Hcg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Igor has been in the league for a while now, plenty of time to show that he can be up there with AH. He hasn't shown it.

This year the Chargers had a new Defensive coordinator who want to do something different with the RE. Igor has been playing with reduced time, but his last 10 games have been some of the best of his career.

He can be taught.

San Diego's d line was pretty stout when we played them. Most D tackles or D ends in the 3-4 usually don't put up numbers like guys in the 4-3. Igor would be a nice pick up to be a real strong gap assignment type D tackle who could surprise. You never know, maybe our luck with Charger free agents will continue and Igor would be a great force for us.

San Diego's d line was pretty stout when we played them. Most D tackles or D ends in the 3-4 usually don't put up numbers like guys in the 4-3. Igor would be a nice pick up to be a real strong gap assignment type D tackle who could surprise. You never know, maybe our luck with Charger free agents will continue and Igor would be a great force for us.

YES!!!

REUNITE IGOR WITH TURNER!

Author's note: First of all, I'd like to thank "dv falcon" and "Voice of Reason" for introducing me to Igor in a prior thread.

Okay, To Make My Case for Igor, I must first explain to you why Albert Haynesworth Is So Good.

1. Size

Albert Haynesworth is a big dude. 6 ft. 6 and 320 pounds. Part of the reason he is so hard to block is pure physics mixed with anatomy. When he goes up against a guard or center, his extra inch or two on them means that when he gets under them, him fully extending his body after the snap is such where if they don't pay attention, they could be knocked back on their heels which is a horrible way to start a play for an offense. While it's not a huge difference in height between an Offensive Tackles and Offensive Guards, Guards usually aren't as talented as tackles and can get away with being a bit shorter. For example Sam Baker is 6 ft. 5, while Justin Blalock is 6 ft. 3. Haynesworth's long arms can hold his man away from him, giving him much more maneuverability than a smaller man.

Igor Olshansky is just as big. 6 ft. 6 and 309 pounds, with a frame to put on more.

2. Strength

Albert Haynesworth is strong. When it was time for him to come to the NFL people buzzed about the fact that he could bench press over 500 pounds. I don't think I need to tell you why that is important for a defensive lineman.

Igor Olshansky? He is one of the strongest men in the NFL. His highest bench press total is 515.

3. Attitude

Haynesworth is a nasty man to block, he hits hard and plays till the whistle blows. He has that classic mean streak you want to see, with the most famous example being the face stomping incident after he was cut blocked.

Olshansky is one mean dude too. He plays with intensity and has his own violent incident, in case that is what you need to be convinced. In 2006, the same year Haynesworth was suspended for his conduct, Olshansky was fined 10 thousand dollars for punching an offensive lineman in the face after being cut blocked in a game versus the denver broncos.

4. Skill

Albert Haynesworth was on the verge of being kicked off of his team, even before he stomped on the guys face, because he wasn't performing at a high enough level. After training with Chuck Smith, he has become a premier pass rushing DT in the NFL, sometimes even on double teams.

Igor Olshansky is talented but doesn't yet have the skillset of Haynesworth. In my estimation he is about the same place Haynesworth was before he began to train with Chuck Smith. At the same time though, Olshansky is playing in a 3-4 defense, and those guys are not expected to get the sacks that linemen in a 4-3 are. It is the blitzing linebacker like James Harrison of the Steelers or Shawn Merriman of the Chargers that usually get the glory in those schemes.

So I am asking that we bring this powerful man to Atlanta, have him spend time this offseason training with Chuck Smith, and see if we can get results.

As a bonus, he is a free agent this year, is one year younger than Haynesworth, and while Haynesworth made over 7 million dollars last year, Olshansky only received a bit over 1 million.

Interesting?! Might be worth a look depending on his asking price. If he was half Haynesworth asking price he might be

viable option till we could draft or upgrade the DT position later.

i'm not trying to compare some nobody to a gamechanging defensive tackle.

I made a list of my comparisons.

Physically they are very close.

The gap between them in skill can be reduced by Igor undergoing the same training that turned Albert from a nobody into a gamechanger.

So once again, if you would like to criticize my post, please detail what you mean. I did.

what is your A & B plan

i just took a look. looks like igor signed a six-year with the chargers in '04. so i guess he's not even on the market.

haynesworth would be a. a player like bernard from seattle could be b. or they'll draft someone. i like brace from boston college in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

1. Size

2. Strength

3. Attitude

4. Skill

I have had him in my mock draft for a minute now for a third of the price he will allow us to address other areas like OLB, RT and SS in FA or draft.

explosive, he's nowhere near as explosive, nor is this igor fella a gamechanger. grantid cliched terms, but suitable for this discussion.

Explosive in terms of D-line means power combined with technique.

Haynesworth always had the power, just like Igor has the power.

Haynesworth learned the technique i.e. WHERE to use his power on a person's body to achieve that "Explosive" moniker. I happen to believe Igor can learn as well. Especially since he would have far fewer responsibilites as a Nose Tackle in a 4-3 than a DE in a 3-4.

Just for the Record, He's Jewish.
Two Jewish Parents.

Pretty much what it takes (no, actually just a mom). Thanks - surprising that he would go to a Catholic HS.

Guys (and gals) you do know that it's possible for the man to be of Jewish decent (meaning relatives from Jerusalem) but not be of the Jewish faith? :lol:

Just because his heritage is Jewish doesn't mean he's a worshiping Jew. Likewise, just because someone is from another region of the world and may be of another race doesn't mean they cannot be practicing the Jewish religion (think Sammy Davis Jr.).

A few more things: I appreciate the props ComradeDimitroff. It was really dv falcon's idea. I just remembered the guy from the draft a few years ago.

Mufasa - I believe, if my memory serves me correctly, Igor was a very raw player coming out of college. I don't think he had played football very long, so he was a project when drafted. If he is a developing player, he might just be coming into his own.

Igor's stats:

While I'm not really advocating Igor, it is worth a look to see if something is there.

This year he had 29 tackles and 2 sacks. However, his team lost it's best pass rusher (Merriman) and even changed coordinators midway through the season (Rivera took over and he's not a 3-4 guy). Last year, with a healthy end rusher, Igor had 44 tackles and 3.5 sacks.

Now compare this to other 3-4 team's ends:

Dallas - Canty (37 tackles, 3 sacks) Spears (35 tackles, 1 sack)

Pittsburgh - Smith (60 tackles, 5.5 sacks) Keisel (41 tackles, 1 sack)

Baltimore - Pryce (27 tackles, 4.5 sacks) Bannan (45 tackles, 1 sack)

So, outside of Aaron Smith's crazy year, Igor's 2007 numbers are in line or better than those other d-linemen were this year.

It is an interesting thought.