Early season Power poll has Falcons leading the way in the NFC South...

I couldn't agree with the last two more any more.

It has been proven that you can't just sit pretty and expect to have the same season. What happened last season has nothing to do with this season. The Falcons have just as many holes (if not more) than any other team in the South.

Too be completely honest, aside from the Bucs, the Falcons probably have the biggest hole to climb. They have many holes and have to do a lot of adjusting. Lets take a look:

QB- Ryan is special. But he will need to get better. He needs to change up his game, teams will study him on game tape and pick apart his game. Whether he can adjust to that and add more to his game will depend on his season.

RB- The Falcons run game isn't nearly as good as one thinks. A very inconsistent ground game. Turner would go from 5 ypc to 2.5 ypc in one week. Norwood mostly will never be a 10+ carry type of guy. In short, Turner is good and Norwood is a good reserve. The Falcons need to upgrade their line or change up the scheme a little.

FB- Not much to say. Ovie is a good one.

WR- The Falcons may be set here, I think they could use a better #2, but from what yall have told me Laurent Robinson may be that.

TE- I think yall did all yall could this season, LJ Smith is a good pickup but he is nowhere near being the answer.

OL- Needs a upgrade. Baker needs to stay healthy. Probably will see a new C next season.

DL- Could use a couple pieces. Abe is the star, JA is pretty good against the run. The Falcons could use another specialty pass rusher to back up JA, IMO. Besides Babineaux yall do not really have great depth at DT. Needs some added youth and depth.

LB- Lofton will be lining up in the middle for a long time. But, now yall have a HUGE need at OLB. I like Nicholas, but do not know if he is a full time starter. IMO, yall need atleast 1 OLB starter.

CB- I actually like the Falcons corners. They aren't very good right now, but are young and have alot of upside. I mean Grimes is 25, Houston is 24, Irons is 26, Chevis is 23. I think the Falcons could use a good vet at CB. I hear yall are interested in Greer, he would be a excellent pickup IMO.

S- I heard Coleman is moving to SS, so I do not think that is any longer a need. But DeCoud at FS? Is he ready?

As you can see, I am bored. Seriously though, I am not sold on the Falcons. I just do not know. They have great potential, but also can be real big busts.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to be an interesting offseason for sure. After years of bellyaching about how Carolina and New Orleans are the media sweethearts and perennial paper champions, Falcons fans are going to get a taste of it, probably buy their own hype, and possibly be disappointed. It takes a while to wipe the bad taste of unfulfilled expectations out of your mouth, as I'm sure both of us know.

The whole NFC south knows that. But I see a hufty dose comming to the ATL this season.

Yeah, it's almost like they're the paper champions or something.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we go 10-6 and to the NFC CG. We have the coach of the year in 06. We had the best offence in the league. We were, as you put it, picked to go to the SB. Sounds familiar? We did all that only to follow with 7-9 and 8-8 seasons. It's happened before and could happen to you. The odds are not in your favor. Remember the whole teams watch film thing.
It's going to be an interesting offseason for sure. After years of bellyaching about how Carolina and New Orleans are the media sweethearts and perennial paper champions, Falcons fans are going to get a taste of it, probably buy their own hype, and possibly be disappointed. It takes a while to wipe the bad taste of unfulfilled expectations out of your mouth, as I'm sure both of us know.
I couldn't agree with the last two more any more.

It has been proven that you can't just sit pretty and expect to have the same season. What happened last season has nothing to do with this season. The Falcons have just as many holes (if not more) than any other team in the South.

Too be completely honest, aside from the Bucs, the Falcons probably have the biggest hole to climb. They have many holes and have to do a lot of adjusting. Lets take a look:

QB- Ryan is special. But he will need to get better. He needs to change up his game, teams will study him on game tape and pick apart his game. Whether he can adjust to that and add more to his game will depend on his season.

RB- The Falcons run game isn't nearly as good as one thinks. A very inconsistent ground game. Turner would go from 5 ypc to 2.5 ypc in one week. Norwood mostly will never be a 10+ carry type of guy. In short, Turner is good and Norwood is a good reserve. The Falcons need to upgrade their line or change up the scheme a little.

FB- Not much to say. Ovie is a good one.

WR- The Falcons may be set here, I think they could use a better #2, but from what yall have told me Laurent Robinson may be that.

TE- I think yall did all yall could this season, LJ Smith is a good pickup but he is nowhere near being the answer.

OL- Needs a upgrade. Baker needs to stay healthy. Probably will see a new C next season.

DL- Could use a couple pieces. Abe is the star, JA is pretty good against the run. The Falcons could use another specialty pass rusher to back up JA, IMO. Besides Babineaux yall do not really have great depth at DT. Needs some added youth and depth.

LB- Lofton will be lining up in the middle for a long time. But, now yall have a HUGE need at OLB. I like Nicholas, but do not know if he is a full time starter. IMO, yall need atleast 1 OLB starter.

CB- I actually like the Falcons corners. They aren't very good right now, but are young and have alot of upside. I mean Grimes is 25, Houston is 24, Irons is 26, Chevis is 23. I think the Falcons could use a good vet at CB. I hear yall are interested in Greer, he would be a excellent pickup IMO.

S- I heard Coleman is moving to SS, so I do not think that is any longer a need. But DeCoud at FS? Is he ready?

As you can see, I am bored. Seriously though, I am not sold on the Falcons. I just do not know. They have great potential, but also can be real big busts.

The whole NFC south knows that. But I see a hufty dose comming to the ATL this season.

The last four comments are from bitter rival fans who only wish the worst for the Falcons. I can't say as I blame them because you are two underachieving franchises who have nver really won anything. The kittens will always be synonomous with being the paper chumpions and (like us no b2b winning seasons. that changes this year) and the saints well their just a downright woeful franchise with one of the worst alltime winning percentages and only 2 playoff wins in 42 years and NO SB APPEARENCES THAT THEY SHARE WITH THE LIONS,JAGS,BROWNS, AND TEXANS...Really fellas, I understand your bitterness, I really do!

The last four comments are from bitter rival fans who only wish the worst for the Falcons. I can't say as I blame them because you are two underachieving franchises who have nver really won anything. The kittens will always be synonomous with being the paper chumpions and (like us no b2b winning seasons. that changes this year) and the saints well their just a downright woeful franchise with one of the worst alltime winning percentages and only 2 playoff wins in 42 years and NO SB APPEARENCES THAT THEY SHARE WITH THE LIONS,JAGS,BROWNS, AND TEXANS...Really fellas, I understand your bitterness, I really do!

Your really pathetic.

Who was the last team in the South to win a playoff game? Who was the last team in the South to get to the NFCCG? Which team nearly has the same overall record as the Saints?

Your so quick to call the Saints a pathetic franchise, when the Falcons and Saints almost ahve the same winning percentage.

You are seriously overrating the Falcons, you really are. I don't see how you come away so confident. Granted, this is a Falcons site, so they will be greatly overrated, but it is kind of sad. Yall think yall have already won something, when yall have HUGE holes to fill.

Your really pathetic.

Who was the last team in the South to win a playoff game? Who was the last team in the South to get to the NFCCG? Which team nearly has the same overall record as the Saints?

Your so quick to call the Saints a pathetic franchise, when the Falcons and Saints almost ahve the same winning percentage.

You are seriously overrating the Falcons, you really are. I don't see how you come away so confident. Granted, this is a Falcons site, so they will be greatly overrated, but it is kind of sad. Yall think yall have already won something, when yall have HUGE holes to fill.

Who is the only team in the south who has not had a winning season since 06'? Yep, you guessed it, the sucky saints!!! :o:rolleyes::lol:

Nobody in this division has won jack **** except for the Bucs, so quit trying to fool yourself into thinking that the Falcons are on some higher level than the Panthers or the Saints. "Underachieving franchise that has never actually won anything" sounds like a perfect moniker for the Falcons. The fact that you and your fellow fans have spent weeks trying to pump yourselves up because you came sort of close to winning a playoff game is a microcosm of the Falcons' existence as a franchise.

Nobody in this division has won jack **** except for the Bucs, so quit trying to fool yourself into thinking that the Falcons are on some higher level than the Panthers or the Saints. "Underachieving franchise that has never actually won anything" sounds like a perfect moniker for the Falcons. The fact that you and your fellow fans have spent weeks trying to pump yourselves up because you came sort of close to winning a playoff game is a microcosm of the Falcons' existence as a franchise.

Ding Ding Ding

The Falcons have a bigger hill to climb next season than either the Panthers or the Saints. Because they were the cinderella team. The hunter becomes the hunted, and Falcon fans may be suprised how big of a deal that is.

Seriously M k, I don't the the Falcons have ever been an underachieving franchise? The years we've won we were not supposed to, and the years after that we were picked to falter which we always did. That moniker definitely belongs to the kittens and the saints without doubt! In your heart you know that...the one exception may have been the 05' season when we went 8-8...I think the critics expected more out of that season especially after jumping out of the gate at 6-2! No, we are not the paper chumpions...

Seriously M k, I don't the the Falcons have ever been an underachieving franchise? The years we've won we were not supposed to, and the years after that we were picked to falter which we always did. That moniker definitely belongs to the kittens and the saints without doubt! In your heart you know that...the one exception may have been the 05' season when we went 8-8...I think the critics expected more out of that season especially after jumping out of the gate at 6-2! No, we are not the paper chumpions...

Holy crap, you can't be serious?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

This board ain't big enough for all the bitter of Falcon fans after 06. But it's not bitterness. It's reality. You did it in 08. Let's see it in 09 and beyond.

You never underachieved because no one high expectations of you! I'd rather have high expectation than to never. But all that's about to change.

This board ain't big enough for all the bitter of Falcon fans after 06. But it's not bitterness. It's reality. You did it in 08. Let's see it in 09 and beyond.

Fair enough...Get ready for the Patriots of the NFC to emerge!

You never underachieved because no one high expectations of you! I'd rather have high expectation than to never. But all that's about to change.

I'm not sure about having high expectations and not performing? That is something the saints and kittens have cornered the market on! :lol:

The contrast is humorous to me. The Panthers haven't been heavily favored to do anything since the 2006 season, but WFW still spouted off his "paper champions" rhetoric at every opportunity. Now, being the paper champs is a badge of honor and a good omen :rolleyes:

Edit: Patriots of the NFC. Might want to win a playoff game first there killer.

The contrast is humorous to me. The Panthers haven't been heavily favored to do anything since the 2006 season, but WFW still spouted off his "paper champions" rhetoric at every opportunity. Now, being the paper champs is a badge of honor and a good omen :rolleyes:

Edit: Patriots of the NFC. Might want to win a playoff game first there killer.

Its paper chumpions and i'm just reading all these TD artcles claiming he's building the Falcons into the Patriots of the NFC? Not my words just going with the flow. Check out TAFT and you will see several articles posted speaking about such rhetoric. If TD and Smitty can come close to what their counter parts did in NE then I'll be so happy I could whistle zippity do-dah out my a-hole! :D

Its paper chumpions and i'm just reading all these TD artcles claiming he's building the Falcons into the Patriots of the NFC? Not my words just going with the flow. Check out TAFT and you will see several articles posted speaking about such rhetoric. If TD and Smitty can come close to what their counter parts did in NE then I'll be so happy I could whistle zippity do-dah out my a-hole! :D

Yall will never be the "Patriots of the NFC".

Has it escaped your mind that it seems like every team in the league has someone from the Patriots and are all trying to be the "Patriots of the NFC/AFC". What yall are doing is nothing different.

Until yall have a Bill Belichick on the side lines, don't say yall are going to be the "Patriots of the NFC".

Yall will never be the "Patriots of the NFC".

Has it escaped your mind that it seems like every team in the league has someone from the Patriots and are all trying to be the "Patriots of the NFC/AFC". What yall are doing is nothing different.

Until yall have a Bill Belichick on the side lines, don't say yall are going to be the "Patriots of the NFC".

Nola, how do you know TD (GM of the year) and Smitty (coach of the year) are not their AFC counter parts? I guess their success last season and their accolades differ from your opinion? This season will be the test, right? I mean if we get the b2b winning season and the playoffs again it will be something to behold....

Nola, how do you know TD (GM of the year) and Smitty (coach of the year) are not their AFC counter parts? I guess their success last season and their accolades differ from your opinion? This season will be the test, right? I mean if we get the b2b winning season and the playoffs again it will be something to behold....

Why is it unreasonable to assume that a one-year head coach, while admittedly having generated a fast turnaround with a floundering franchise, has shown enough that he should be mentioned in the same breath as a guy with three Super Bowl rings on his fingers and four AFC championships in his trophy case? Hmmm, that's a tough one.

And yes, 2009 will be the big test for Ryan, Turner, Smith, Dimitroff, etc.

Why is it unreasonable to assume that a one-year head coach, while admittedly having generated a fast turnaround with a floundering franchise, has shown enough that he should be mentioned in the same breath as a guy with three Super Bowl rings on his fingers and four AFC championships in his trophy case? Hmmm, that's a tough one.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Like I have said, the Falcons MAY be in for a suprise next season. Their glory boys may not be all they thought them to be.

Writers have mentioned it, not Falcons fans? While we enjoy the comaparisons we also know that it needs to be proved on the playing field. I agree with everyone that this season will be the big test for the upstart HC, GM, and players...b2b or bust baby!

Writers have mentioned it, not Falcons fans? While we enjoy the comaparisons we also know that it needs to be proved on the playing field. I agree with everyone that this season will be the big test for the upstart HC, GM, and players...b2b or bust baby!

Then why don't you look at reality and not poke your chest out to far. Then, you will know that the Falcons are not any better (or worse) than any other team. They have a bigger hill to climb than any team in the South. Teams will have it out for them next season.

Then why don't you look at reality and not poke your chest out to far. Then, you will know that the Falcons are not any better (or worse) than any other team. They have a bigger hill to climb than any team in the South. Teams will have it out for them next season.

I think your off on this statement. They don't have a bigger hill to climb and if your were being honest you would understand this. The buccies have the biggest hill to climb followed by the saints and panthers...like it or not this is how it goes down!