Drug testing for students

rvrndzombii

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just middle and high school for me, and it would be an automatic expulsion (If the kid fails a drug test only). They should be forced to repeat the academic year when the next one starts.

If the kid is found with drugs on them, but their tests come back clean, it should be investigated before punishment. Some kids may take advantage of rules and plant drugs on those they don't like, which is why an investigation would be needed.

In college you're legally an adult. The school shouldn't force you into anything, but the law can still get you.

I don't agree with drug testing in schools. But man if they gave an automatic expulsion for a failed drug test then there would be a lot of people not graduating on time or never graduating period. I still think a lot of kids would be dumb enough to think they could get away with it somehow.

I don't agree with drug testing in schools. But man if they gave an automatic expulsion for a failed drug test then there would be a lot of people not graduating on time or never graduating period. I still think a lot of kids would be dumb enough to think they could get away with it somehow.

Yeah, that would just be ********. Almost everyone I know has smoked marijuana at some point in their life. And if you're doing other drugs ,then school is the least of your problems.

whatever...it wont change anything, the kids that do drugs just wont show up

now I think all schools should steroid test athletes, it will prevent cheaters from taking advantage of a weak system, level the playing field, and will prevent many kids from starting a trend of cheating regardless of the sitaution.

It's funny, because I do smoke weed, but part of me says this would be a good idea and the other part says it's not the schools place to do so. The reason I say I'm for it is because I've seen people without enough self-control let marijuana take over their lives. I mean, a couple of these guys I know are going no where in life, they have no jobs, aren't going to school and find all the loose change they can to buy some. It's quite sad honestly because they either haven't realized that they're going to end up homeless, or they just don't care. I believe it has to do with them starting at a young age and not having anyone tell them not to do it, or them always getting away with it and just not knowing any better.

It's funny, because I do smoke weed, but part of me says this would be a good idea and the other part says it's not the schools place to do so. The reason I say I'm for it is because I've seen people without enough self-control let marijuana take over their lives. I mean, a couple of these guys I know are going no where in life, they have no jobs, aren't going to school and find all the loose change they can to buy some. It's quite sad honestly because they either haven't realized that they're going to end up homeless, or they just don't care. I believe it has to do with them starting at a young age and not having anyone tell them not to do it, or them always getting away with it and just not knowing any better.

That bolded part is what it comes down too. If you don't care a drug test probably won't make you care if your life is going as bad as you described them.

I know people who have went to see their P.O. high or drunk. People these days just don't care until they are faced with some hard time which is the bad part. It takes 10 or more years in jail for some of these people to finally get it, when in reality it should take 1 day of jail to make someone say this is a place I want to avoid.

That bolded part is what it comes down too. If you don't care a drug test probably won't make you care if your life is going as bad as you described them.

I know people who have went to see their P.O. high or drunk. People these days just don't care until they are faced with some hard time which is the bad part. It takes 10 or more years in jail for some of these people to finally get it, when in reality it should take 1 day of jail to make someone say this is a place I want to avoid.

That's true, but then there are also good kids out there, who haven't exactly made the best decisions. For instance, I have a friend who is/was a great kid, would always stay out of trouble, but smoking weed / other drugs have really ****ed him up. It was brought to his parents attention but after I think it was too late. His problems had started in high school and I think if there was some sort of drug testing system in place, maybe he wouldn't be the way he was right now.

uh. Mike Vick anyone?

That's true, but then there are also good kids out there, who haven't exactly made the best decisions. For instance, I have a friend who is/was a great kid, would always stay out of trouble, but smoking weed / other drugs have really ****ed him up. It was brought to his parents attention but after I think it was too late. His problems had started in high school and I think if there was some sort of drug testing system in place, maybe he wouldn't be the way he was right now.

Yeah I agree with that too. But I think kicking them out of school for the 1st failed drug test is too strict. Send a letter to the parent and tell them if it happens again then your child will be kicked out of school until the next school year.

That is how it should be done if they were going to do this.

Just to add on to this, while it might not work for everyone, if it did help a few out of the bunch (like the friend I mentioned), don't you think it would be worth it?

Yeah I agree with that too. But I think kicking them out of school for the 1st failed drug test is too strict. Send a letter to the parent and tell them if it happens again then your child will be kicked out of school until the next school year.

That is how it should be done if they were going to do this.

Well I still haven't really thought about punishment, but being kicked out of school would only make matters worse IMO. Said drug user is going to have A LOT of free time on their hands, and chances are that they will not be supervised 24/7. Kicking a drug abusing student out of school for a long period of time is one of the worse things you could.

I had a friend exactly like that. We used to be really tight in elementary but we ended up going to different high schools. We were still always really tight but he started hanging out with the wrong crowd and I wasn't really around to keep him in line. He ended up doing some really stupid stuff, even got a little jail time, but luckily he's managed to straighten out lately. I still think he smokes here and there but he's been keeping his life on track for the most part. It's sad because this guy was one of the better people I knew and seeing him like that always ate away at me back then.

I agree with the part that you said about some people not being able to control themselves. A lot of people do need someone controlling them and keeping them in line.From my personal view I've always been able to control myself. I smoke weed here and there and drink here and there but nothing too extreme. I also make sure to only do this stuff when I don't have any other priorities to take care of. My parents have always been cool about that kind of stuff so I've never had to hide anything from them. I always thought that was the best approach because they warned me of what was wrong with it, and trusted me to make good decisions on my own. So far I have for the most part so we haven't had any problems.

No, never. It's against our rights. If a highschool kid decides to screw his education, then that's on them and their parent's responsibility. Private Schools, fine, let them have at it. Drug testing isn't going to save a kid who wants to throw his life away, just like laws don't stop people from drinking and smoking weed either.

This isn't a police state, this is the United States of America, we have these things called rights. I would prefer to keep it this way. This attitude of "if you don't have anything to hide, why is it a problem" and "let the government decide for us" BS is the reason we broke off of England and founded this country to begin with.

People have died for your rights, and you want to throw them away for some false sense of "safety".

thanks so much for all the input so far. The issues I see involved encompass a lot of things. What about the fact that drug experimentation is a pretty normal thing for a lot of kids. Most kids who experiment do not become abusers. Another issue is personal freedom and choice. Not claiming that using drugs is the right choice; but it a choice that should be made for the right reasons. I say take the money that would be used to fund the testing and invest in more mentoring, after school programs, and professional counseling. One of my main problems with it is the fact that it creates the "us versus them" mentality which most will take with them into college, and then into the real world. I think that makes it impossible to have a productive relationship with students and teachers. The other issue is that kids are pretty smart. Generally they will either learn the drugs that are not tested for (generally hallucinogens, GHB, or of course alcohol) and begin to use those, some of which are much more harmful than marijuana or even cocaine. Alcohol is generally not tested for, and the way young kids use alcohol is not exactly "responsible"...mostly because they don't know how.Such a big deal is made of the drugs themselves and not the attitudes toward the drugs and their responsible use, that kids can't help but be naturally curious; I think that drug testing only adds to this mistique. Another thing is that drug testing students is very expensive. You may do a search on this and see one sight say its cheap and another that it is expensive. I have found that a lot that claim it is cheap are also in the process of lobbying for drug testing students.

Interestingly enough the research done has shown that the drug testing really didn't produce any positive results for the students or the community. It did not make school a better place to learn, or a safer place to be. Ill dig through my stuff for the link for those who think I have nothing better to do than make up facts.. :D :D :D Thanks again for all of your input. Keep it coming.

no. how much time and money would it waste for schools to do this? why don't they just focus on improving their subpar curriculum and actually TEACH kids how to make a living and function in the world? why not take all that money that would be wasted on drug tests and use it to hire COMPETENT teachers?

i agree there shouldn't be drugs on campus, and i don't have a problem with cops and drug dogs so long as they don't interfere with class too much.

I think sports is another story. Being on steroids is cheating so drug testing sports teams makes perfect sense to me. But just because the parents don't keep their kids off of drugs doesn't make the school responsible for doing so (unless as I stated, you're talking about cheating in athletics).

Drugs are just a fact of life at this point in our history. The "tax dollars at work" argument is pretty weak I think. Our tax dollars are at work paying unemployment money and government funded housing to plenty of people who are on drugs. If you really want to get upset about your tax dollars funding drug abusers, go after these guys. Most kids in school are just experimenting and turn out perfectly fine when they grow up.

in our school it was just for the sports program and the parents had to sign a permission slip

Two questions...how many of you are currently in school where this would apply or have kids of that age?

my son is in HS

Im kind of torn like an old sweater on this one. its an invasion of privacy but they might as well get used to it. i wouldnt be completely against it as it sure would have helped me to straighten up alot earlier. i used to go to school pie eyed and reeking all the time. one day my home ec teacher got tired of it and sent me to the principal. Well the principal was also the football/ wrestling coach. on the way to his office i threw my bag in a trash can and went into his office. He looked up and said "Johnson what are you doing in here?". I just shrugged my shoulders and said "i dunno Coach Mrs (cant remember) sent me in here, i was just sewing on my pillow". He shrugged his shoulders and said "well get back to class, I didnt send for you". "OK coach" and i was gone. picked up my bag out of the trash and went back to class. teacher just stared at me.

I often wonder what would have happened had they got me in trouble. It wouldnt have took much to scare me straight.

Guest Regular Guy
Dude I assure you, you dont have to go to school to get into college. Pass the GED test and you get in.

Depends on which college you go to. Any "A" list school will NOT likely accept a GED. If you drop out of school and get a GED, it's not the same as a diploma (even though that's not worth much anymore :) )

But anyhoo, here's the dilemma. Most of the people on here who are against it are either still in school or using some form of drug or both. Therefore I understand why you would NOT want this to happen. Look 20 years down the road when you may have kids in high school, then you can see the "other" side of things a little more clearer.

Also to the poster who quoted me saying "BE A PARENT" and that the shool should not be. You're right! That's why I said let the PARENTS VOTE on it. IF that were to happen, then there ya go! CONSENT to do so, right? RIGHT!

I know numerous people who are alcoholics and either smoke cigarettes or pot (usually both). I don't judge them for what they do. I personally have no need for ANY of it. I grew up in a house with an alcoholic father that used to be VERY abusive to my Mom and his kids. I SWORE to never touch the stuff due to that. Of the people I know who are either alkies or smokers, THEY ALL would like to quit! All of them! So, my whole deal is, if you do it, great, if not, even better. I just don't want to do it, I don't want my kids to do it. If a random drug test is one more deterret, then I like it, and I won't apologize for being for it :)

I've said all I have to say or care to say about this. I'll see you guys in another thread, okay?