Drug testing for students

rvrndzombii

What are your thoughts on random student drug testing? I am HIGHLY opposed to this; and I will elaborate later. I would like to get your views first.

I enjoy getting your views on the issues I spend my time researching and writing reports on (drug issues and horror movies are my favorite 2 topics!). It is usually 50/50 so i get a good idea of the public view.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Regular Guy

I have no problem with it. Look at it this way, your employer has the right to test you, why shouldn't a school? In all fairness, how are you going to be able to learn anything while geeked out? School is used to prep you for life in the REAL world, it IS like a job, so treat it like a job, take it seriously and all will be fine.

That's my view, I appreciate others as well, but you did ask!

I have no problem with it. Look at it this way, your employer has the right to test you, why shouldn't a school? In all fairness, how are you going to be able to learn anything while geeked out? School is used to prep you for life in the REAL world, it IS like a job, so treat it like a job, take it seriously and all will be fine.

That's my view, I appreciate others as well, but you did ask!

ooh,,, forgot to add this> what are the consequences you reccomend for a positive screening?

I don't think thy should at all. I don't think it should be legal for public schools to do it at all. Its a privacy issue. School is NOT a job. You are NOT paid to be there. If some kids wanna screw up their education, that's fine. Those of us that get it right still need people to flip burgers for us. If a private school wants to do it so be it. You agree to come there on their terms and will be expected to comply even if it amounts to giving up some degree of privacy.

I don't think thy should at all. I don't think it should be legal for public schools to do it at all. Its a privacy issue. School is NOT a job. You are NOT paid to be there. If some kids wanna screw up their education, that's fine. Those of us that get it right still need people to flip burgers for us. If a private school wants to do it so be it. You agree to come there on their terms and will be expected to comply even if it amounts to giving up some degree of privacy.

I think it should depend on if they're receiving federal funds or other grants. If they're going to test for drugs, they should test for alcohol as well. BTW, I'm FOR the decriminalization of marijuana so that's not an issue for me.

For pot and booze, counseling and a 3 strike policy then you lose funding. Anything else you get a semester suspension.

no way. like btrain said. school is definitely not like a job. you are not paid to be there so if someone wants to fool around with drugs away from campus, that's their own deal. It's not school's place to test students for drugs. They are there to teach kids, not police them. But if a private school wanted to do it, that's different. I wouldn't necessarily agree with it, but they have the right to I suppose.

Guest Regular Guy

Okay then, IF school is not considered a job, then why go? Stay at home and don't go to school and see if you get into college. Then let's see if you get a job other than blue collar (which is what I have by the way :) ) I want my kids to go to college and do better than I have, if they go to school drugged out, that's not going to happen. As far as "not being paid", yes they ARE, it's called EDUCATION. The teachers are PAID by the tax payers...MY MONEY. I expect them to take MY MONEY and PAY MY KIDS with an EDUCATION! PERIOD!!

Also, since when do children need PRIVACY? In the bathroom is when. Otherwise, adults NEED to know what their kids are doing so they can provide direction, you know...BE A PARENT. If kids are on drugs, that's not a good thing. WHEN those kids are grown and they want to smoke it up, or get effed up drunk, then by all menas, they are adults and can choose for themselves. If they do it as kids, then the parents just outright are not being parents!

Back to the kids being tested at school, I say put a vote to it. Let the parents decide. If they go for it, then there are no reasons why it should not be allowed. As for the ones that are "caught"? I say they are to be involved in counseling, maybe some sort of program set up to rehab. I don't know what would be best. It ultimately comes down to the parent's choice.

It's easy for me to discuss this as my kids have their heads on straight and I have no worries about them drinking or using drugs, but it would be tough otherwise I guess.

Kids, don't do drugs. Simple as that. Don't try to be some sort of stupid rebel or a kid who defies the norm. Don't do drugs, work hard, and live your life in peace.

This shouldn't be an issue if you're a student. Just don't do drugs.

Spend your money on something wholesome. Spend your time doing something wholesome. Go play basketball or soccer or something. Drugs are useless, and it's completely idiotic to take them up. Do something better with your time.

Okay then, IF school is not considered a job, then why go? Stay at home and don't go to school and see if you get into college. Then let's see if you get a job other than blue collar (which is what I have by the way :) ) I want my kids to go to college and do better than I have, if they go to school drugged out, that's not going to happen. As far as "not being paid", yes they ARE, it's called EDUCATION. The teachers are PAID by the tax payers...MY MONEY. I expect them to take MY MONEY and PAY MY KIDS with an EDUCATION! PERIOD!!

Also, since when do children need PRIVACY? In the bathroom is when. Otherwise, adults NEED to know what their kids are doing so they can provide direction, you know...BE A PARENT. If kids are on drugs, that's not a good thing. WHEN those kids are grown and they want to smoke it up, or get effed up drunk, then by all menas, they are adults and can choose for themselves. If they do it as kids, then the parents just outright are not being parents!

Back to the kids being tested at school, I say put a vote to it. Let the parents decide. If they go for it, then there are no reasons why it should not be allowed. As for the ones that are "caught"? I say they are to be involved in counseling, maybe some sort of program set up to rehab. I don't know what would be best. It ultimately comes down to the parent's choice.

It's easy for me to discuss this as my kids have their heads on straight and I have no worries about them drinking or using drugs, but it would be tough otherwise I guess.

My point exactly. School is not a parent. That's what mom and dad are for. School is for education. Period. School can educate them about the dangers of drug and alcohol, but police the kids like that? No way. It's the parents' job to catch things like that. The people in the school can provide direction for a kid that may be suspected of drug use, or if the kid has it on him at school, then they definitely have the right to suspend, expell, etc. But flat out random drug testing at school? That is getting carried away and diverging completely off the path of what the school systems are for.

Also, just b/c you probably won't be able to get a good job without going to school, doesn't automatically make school a job. It just makes it a smart thing to do....I don't follow that logic at all. But again, you are right about school being for education. They can "pay" your kids with education all they want, but education doesn't equal policing by drug tests every semester...

Kids, don't do drugs. Simple as that. Don't try to be some sort of stupid rebel or a kid who defies the norm. Don't do drugs, work hard, and live your life in peace.

This shouldn't be an issue if you're a student. Just don't do drugs.

Spend your money on something wholesome. Spend your time doing something wholesome. Go play basketball or soccer or something. Drugs are useless, and it's completely idiotic to take them up. Do something better with your time.

:o

I....I....agree with you...? WTF is going on with this world?

Against it. the HS my kids go to offer parents the option of having their kids tested if the parents want which is great. Now they are trying to make any kid who wants to get a parking pass agree to drug testing. Look , a parent can buy a drug test for use in the home for about three bucks if they want to know. Also, if a kid comes up dirty do they kick him out of school? Is that what we want? I did drugs in HS. I graduated. i did drugs in college. I graduated. I'm not saying I am proud of it or not. It's just a fact. There are principals in the school system here--which is, BTW, one of the better public schools int he country--who are functioning alcoholics...trashed every night. Big Brother needs to back the F off and let people deal with the consequences of their choices. Parents need to be parents.

What are your thoughts on random student drug testing? I am HIGHLY opposed to this; and I will elaborate later. I would like to get your views first.

I enjoy getting your views on the issues I spend my time researching and writing reports on (drug issues and horror movies are my favorite 2 topics!). It is usually 50/50 so i get a good idea of the public view.

If college kids got drug tested the 60's would have never happened. It's pretty silly let them experiment and expand there minds a little before being boxed into the corporate world. I'd think 80% of the student population at any art school around the world would get expelled if they did testing. Private Schools and maybe kids getting federal funding may be another story but kids paying their own way through college shouldn't have to deal with that kind of big brother treatment. In the end it's grades that matter most. If you do drugs or drink at college and can maintain a good GPA more power to you.

I'm all for drug testing at public schools. These are our tax dollars that we spend on these kids. We should know whether they are all bunked up. In fact, I'd say we should drug test all the faculty too. I know for a fact several of my teachers in high school were doing drugs.

Dude I assure you, you dont have to go to school to get into college. Pass the GED test and you get in.

My point exactly. School is not a parent. That's what mom and dad are for. School is for education. Period. School can educate them about the dangers of drug and alcohol, but police the kids like that? No way. It's the parents' job to catch things like that. The people in the school can provide direction for a kid that may be suspected of drug use, or if the kid has it on him at school, then they definitely have the right to suspend, expell, etc. But flat out random drug testing at school? That is getting carried away and diverging completely off the path of what the school systems are for.

Also, just b/c you probably won't be able to get a good job without going to school, doesn't automatically make school a job. It just makes it a smart thing to do....I don't follow that logic at all. But again, you are right about school being for education. They can "pay" your kids with education all they want, but education doesn't equal policing by drug tests every semester...

Exactly. There's a big fuss going on about why Duke's faculty didn't defend the lacrosse players during that ordeal and the way I see it. It isn't their job to do so. Schools are places of learning. The faculty and staff are there to facilitate learning. They are not babysitters. It is not their job to look out for your children. Now you/your children may have built relationships with certain faculty/staff members and as a result of that relationship said faculty/staff member will keep an eye on your kid but don't mistake that for something you're owed.

If a kid can't get themselves in the mindset to learn then that's a failure on the kid's part and a failure in parenting. It isn't the school's function to make up for those two.

I am 100% for it. I just had to sign this sheet to allow the school to do random drug test on my son during baseball. I am fine with it since my son is clean, but several of you have made the argument that the parents should have control. To many parents do not control them and do not make them stay off of drugs. I for one like the idea so that my son can play against kids that are not high or on roids. Our school have discipline for drugs, alcohol, and just bad behavior. Your first offense cost you 10% of the season and 6 timed 1 mile runs. 2nd offense is double, 3rd cost you the season.

So if the kid fails a drug test what should happen to them?

And what level are we talking about?

Middle School?

High School?

College?

Just middle and high school for me, and it would be an automatic expulsion (If the kid fails a drug test only). They should be forced to repeat the academic year when the next one starts.

If the kid is found with drugs on them, but their tests come back clean, it should be investigated before punishment. Some kids may take advantage of rules and plant drugs on those they don't like, which is why an investigation would be needed.

In college you're legally an adult. The school shouldn't force you into anything, but the law can still get you.

Heres one problem I see with it.

Back in highschool I played sports, and more than once rumor was that the administration of the school really wanted to drug test some kids. Which as far as I know, you can do (or used to be able to, at least). But there is only one problem- the way school rules work, if you do anything that infringes on the rights of the student, you have to do it to ALL the students. They would have had to test the entire team, possibly every team in the school. And the problem with that is largely that drug tests are really expensive: especially when are using a ton of them. I don't even want to know how much it would cost to continuously test an entire student body.

I am 100% for it. I just had to sign this sheet to allow the school to do random drug test on my son during baseball. I am fine with it since my son is clean, but several of you have made the argument that the parents should have control. To many parents do not control them and do not make them stay off of drugs. I for one like the idea so that my son can play against kids that are not high or on roids. Our school have discipline for drugs, alcohol, and just bad behavior. Your first offense cost you 10% of the season and 6 timed 1 mile runs. 2nd offense is double, 3rd cost you the season.

I think sports is another story. Being on steroids is cheating so drug testing sports teams makes perfect sense to me. But just because the parents don't keep their kids off of drugs doesn't make the school responsible for doing so (unless as I stated, you're talking about cheating in athletics).

Drugs are just a fact of life at this point in our history. The "tax dollars at work" argument is pretty weak I think. Our tax dollars are at work paying unemployment money and government funded housing to plenty of people who are on drugs. If you really want to get upset about your tax dollars funding drug abusers, go after these guys. Most kids in school are just experimenting and turn out perfectly fine when they grow up.

if the schools send out proper notification that requires a parents permission, i'm all for it. so at the beginning of the year, if schools include a form with all the other paperwork that gets sent home that the parents have to sign, i have no problem with the kids who return the signed paper being tested at any given time if something is suspected. if a kid that does not return said signed document is suspected of drug or alcohol use, the school should have parental consent before proceeding....whether that be a recorded phone conversation with the legal guardian, a signed document granting permission, or the legal guardian being present at the time of the test.

My high school started testing while I was in there about 6 or 7 years ago and a positive test just resulted in a letter being sent to your parents and you had to do some kind of counseling as well but that was it but they did bring the drug dogs in to sniff around the school once a month and if the dog found something in your car, locker, backpack anything you might have on campus then the cops would arrest you.

I'm honestly surprised by these answers and, moreso, by some of the folks that are for it. Have any of you ever been drug tested before, by the way? Seems like another case of embracing the nanny state and trading away rights of privacy for a sense of safety. I have no problem with the drug dogs or cops in the schools but testing all student's urine is beyond the pale, IMO.