Mock Off-Season #3

Norwood32

I'm really thinking we should bring back Boley and play him on the weakside. I mean, he did have a down year, but he is too talented not to rebound and be the player he was back in 2007. I think Brooking and Milloy are let go, it'll be similar to last season where we let Dunn and Crumpler go, but it's business.

As for the mock draft, it's pretty solid. Good job. Will Pettigrew last that long? Some mocks say otherwise, but I wouldn't mind drafting Clint Sintim to complete our linebacking core and play strongside, with Lofton in the middle, and Boley on the weakside. Sintim is a very solid player that has the ability to play the run and drop into coverage.

As for FA, what about Jordan Gross to play RT? I've seen sites say that the Panthers will franchise Peppers and trade him away and Gross will be the odd-man out. He would be an upgrade and Clabo could slide over to RG. Our line would be solid for years.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is gonna be my 3rd mock of the year. Wanted to see how some guys did at the Senior Bowl and Shrine Game. Enjoy :D

Cuts/FA's

Coy Wire - LB- id really like to keep him around for SLB depth and special teams depth. at least he has some experience.

Justin Peele - TE- i thought he played well enough to stay around at least for the #2 or #3 spot.

Brian Finneran - WR- he was so good for us on 3rd downs that i would hate to see him leave.

Re-Sign

Tyson Clabo - OT/OG- agree on all.

Harvey Dahl - OG

Domonique Foxworth - CB

Brent Grimes - CB

Keith Brooking - LB - Must restructure, if not he's gone.

FA Signings

C.J. Mosley - DT - 6'2 - 305lbs - agree

Sean Jones - SS - 6'1 - 220lbs - agree

Gabe Watson - NT - 6'3 - 323lbs - wouldnt mind it.

Angelo Crowell - LB - 6'1 - 241lbs - dont know much about him, but as long as he checks out in coverage i suppose its fine.

1st round

Detroit ----------------Eugene Monroe - OT- over stafford? i dont see this happening. i know you like detroit, but stafford is the cream of the crop of qbs for the next 2 years. yes, he will be a better qb in the NFL than bradford, mccoy and tebow. since sanchez threw away his chance to erase his one looming negative: experience, i am afraid he will be a bust in the NFL. so if the lions are getting their qb of the future in the next 2 drafts its going to have to be stafford. at least imo.

St. Louis -------------Andre Smith - OT- agree

Kansas City ---------Matt Stafford - QB- theyd be lucky to get him, but i think they would go with sanchez anyways.

Seattle ---------------Michael Crabtree - WR- agree

Cleveland -----------Aaron Curry - LB- agree

Cincinnati -----------Jason Smith - OT- i have eugene monroe here but its the same principle.

Oakland -------------Jeremy Maclin - WR- as insane as al davis is, i think he will go OL or DL here. jason smith or bj raji are the 2 i was considering.

Jacksonville ---------Malcom Jenkins - CB- i really think they will go with oher here if hes available. khalif barnes was atrocious at LT next year, its a HUGE need for them.

Green Bay -----------Everette Brown - DE/OLB- its possible. it depends on what they think of jeremy thompson at rush linebacker in the 3-4. im not really sure if i think brown can drop back into coverage well enough to play this position.

San Francisco-------Mark Sanchez - QB- id feel bad for the 49ers if they ended up doing this. i agree on the pick, but i think sanchez is going to bust since he left early AND with only 1+ years of starting experience. the more i think about it the more stupid it becomes.

Buffalo ---------------Brian Orakpo - DE- agree

Denver ---------------B.J. Raji - DT- i mostly agree. but is he really a 3-4 NT? brace strikes me as a 3-4 NT for sure because hes a clogger. but rajis game is special because of his quickness and pass rushing ability, not because he is a dominant run stuffer. its just something ive been thinking about, i just dont think this is the best fit for him. i think he might actually be better at DE in the 3-4, they played him at that spot occasionally last year at BC i know.

Washington ---------Michael Oher - OT- good pick if hes here. they really need OL help.

New Orleans--------Ray Maualuga - LB- this one im not sure i agree with. i think maualuga is a 3-4 ILB all the way, i just dont think he has the sideline to sideline speed (kind of stiff in the hips, which isnt surprising for such a big guy) to play MLB in a 4-3. laurinaitis makes more sense for them here imo.

Houston -------------James Laurinatis - LB- i take it hed be playing WLB here, but i think they really would like to address the secondary here. moore isnt worth this pick obviously, but dj moore or vontae davis may be an option. laurinaitis is a good safe pick though, but i dont think it really addresses their need for an upgraded pass rush (pretty much anyone to help out mario williams) or their need for an upgraded secondary.

San Diego------------Chris Wells - RB- agree, they might lose sproles this offseason i hear. that would suck.

New York Jets ------Peria Jerry - DT- would he play 3-4 DE? or are they moving to a 4-3? i have them going WR in my mock.

Chicago --------------Michael Johnson - DE- he might get his stock back up this high after the combine or something, but with eben britton and william beatty still floating around i feel like they are both options for them here as well. and aaron maybin comes to mind too.

Tampa Bay-----------Knowshon Moreno - RB- agree

Detroit --------------- Duke Robinson - OG- LT and LG with their first 2 picks, interesting. it would make for a very good (VERY good) left side if it panned out, but just ask the vikings how many playoff wins they have courtesy of their dominant left side and all world running back. the lions need a qb of the future, and if they dont get stafford i dont know who they will get in the next 2 years to play qb. i dont like freeman much, i think nate davis should have stayed, then next year it will be bradford, mccoy, tebow... where does the qb come from? i truly think they need stafford this year.

Philadelphia ----------Eben Britton - OT- would be a very nice pick if he was still here. with washington and chicago it might not work out that way though.

Minnesota ------------Larry English - DE- hed be the backup RE, but could be used in obvious passing situations. i think alphonso smith would garner a lot of consideration here because they could use a cb like him, but a quality pass rusher would be welcomed.

New England --------Vontae Davis - CB- interesting, they dont usually use high picks on dbs. i figured theyd address OLB or the other ILB spot next to mayo here.

Atlanta -------------Brandon Pettigrew - TE- wouldnt be dissapointed, hes a really good TE. but i really do like maybin, kruger and brian cushing.

Miami -----------------Aaron Maybin - OLB- good pick, but i think he might fit best at DE on the next level. its weird to say that because hes so light right now, but im not sure how he would be dropping into coverage, thats jmo. the comparison to abraham is accurate in that manner, in that abe didnt feel like he fit in the 3-4 that well and i dont think maybin does very well either.

Baltimore -------------D.J. Moore - CB- good pick. its either CB or WR for them here imo.

Indianapolis ----------Percy Harvin - WR- hmm... interesting. i guess with losing marvin harrison (eventually) it makes some sense, but they already have reggie wayne and anthony gonzalez. i think they could use a DT here perhaps... but interesting pick.

Philadelphia-----------Louis Delmas - S- nice pick. WR, OL and S are their needs imo.

NY Giants-------------Hakeem Nicks - WR- good pick. kenny britt is another option. he kind of reminds me of plaxico burress. 6'4", kind of skinny looking... i just think it would be interesting if they tried to replace him with someone of similar build haha.

Tennessee -----------Tyson Jackson - DT- im not sure who their starting DT is next to haynesworth, but if there is a playmaking WR here they really should take him. passing on darius heyward-bey here would be a big mistake imo.

Arizona ---------------LeSean McCoy - RB- i have this same pick! nice.

Pittsburgh ------------ Phil Loadholt - OT- would fill the RT need i guess, willie colon would slide in i imagine.

nice mock. i commented on a lot of picks but i agree on a lot of them as well. very nice job.

Falcons Draft

1 - Brandon Pettigrew - TE - Oklahoma State - 6'5 - 257lbs - 4.75

Gives us a huge threat at TE. Another weapon for Matt Ryan. Pettigrew had a great week at the Senior Bowl and showed everyone he could block just as well as he could catch.

2 - Jamon Meredith - RT - South Carolina - 6'5 - 302lbs - 5.04

One of the most underrated OT's this year. Meredith is a very athletic pass blocker, but he is also a great run blocker. He was one of the best players in the Shrine game.

3 - Nic Harris - LB - Oklahoma - 6'2 - 233lbs - 4.55

They said he was to slow to be Safety so he tried LB. At the Senior bowl he had an amazing week of practice at LB. He would be a great fit for us in the Cover 2 because of his coverage skills. Will be our starting WLB where he can work in space.

4 - Brandon Williams - DE - Texas Tech - 6'5 - 252lbs - 4.72

A very talented pass-rusher that can sub in for Abraham. Had 11 sacks and 12.5 TFL this season and declared early.

5 - Otis Wiley - S - Michigan State - 6'2 - 210lbs - 4.53

One of my favorite players in this years draft. Wiley is a great leader and a great player. He has also played some LB as well.

5 - Jason Williams - OLB - Western Illinois - 6'1 - 241lbs - 4.55

This is a LB i really like and i feel is capable of starting for us at SLB. He is a small school guy but at the Shrine Game he proved he should be mentioned with the big boys. He is great in Coverage and will be a good fit for us. Not only that, he is a punishing run-stopper as well.

7 - Greg Carr - WR - Florida State - 6'6 - 216lbs - 4.63

Boom or bust pick. He is a talented WR that was forced to deal with a bad QB. His large size makes him a threat in the redzone and that's what I'm hoping he can do for us. Finneran is getting old and and we'll need someone to do what Finneran did for us.

And that is my post-Senior bowl mock. I would greatly appreciate and feedback, good or bad.

1st- Pettigrew- I wouldnt be upset with it. but in this scenario there are a few people that id be fine with adding available: Cushing, Paul Kruger, Pettigrew and Maybin. I think it would be ideal to move down towards the end of the 1st, pick up an extra 3rd and then see who is available. because i dont think theres any way that in moving down 4-8 selections that all 4 of the top 4 guys i like there would be gone. thats jmo.

2nd- Meredith- This pick is interesting to me. on one hand he was impressive in pass pro (i believe) drills at the senior bowl once he moved to RT, but he has a LT build and im not sure how he is in the run game at LT, much less at RT. i think we could really use a mauler at RT, but at the same time id be comfortable knowing that both OT's are good pass protectors. its a tough call. i wouldnt be upset with the pick though. very original and well thought out selection.

3rd- Harris- At first glance i really like this pick but i believe there are concerns about him getting off of blocks. i dont recall how he looked doing this at the senior bowl, but i seem to remember him being alright at it. If he can get off blocks alright then i would love this pick. right now i have marcus freeman in my mock (in round 2) because im not sure harris checks out at getting off blocks, but if he does then i would love to pick him up here. again, nice pick. im just not completely sold on him yet. ;)

4th- brandon williams- i LOVE this pick. love it love it love it. i have him in my mock too, but at the end of the 3rd round (you will see when i post it). i just think that this is kind of a thin class of de's, particularly for pass rushing ones, and i prefer to assume that a player will be drafted a little higher than i expect (and i figured him for a early-mid 4th round guy) so i just picked him at the end of the 3rd. but i would love to see this kid in a falcons uniform. he is a liability versus the run right now, but he has the frame to add on some weight (5-10 pounds without losing an ounce of quickness id say) but has great speed off the edge and could contribute as a pass rusher right away like mark anderson did for the bears a couple of years ago as a rookie. Abe and Williams at RE would be great, and he could very well develop into a potential replacement for abe at RE if he works to improve his game versus the run. GREAT PICK! :)

5th- Wiley- somehow i knew he would be in your mock before i even opened it. anyways i like the pick, and i know youve watched him a lot so i dont have to tell you why. hed be great depth behind sean jones and a good special teamer imo. nice pick.

5th- Wililams- this is getting weird. he wasnt in my mock but i was definitely reading up on him and if i had gone another direction in round 1 or 2 he would have been in my mock. i really like him as a player though. im not sure if he will be here this late but it might be possible. maybe switch wiley and williams around? i dont know, its jmo. anyways, nice pick.

7th- Carr- ive had my eye on him since last offseason back when he was supposed to be a 1st or 2nd round pick and he is just getting slammed for his 40 time. if he can get it under 4.6 or maybe in the 4.55 range i think he will shoot up draft boards. however, helping him improve his route running to help him get separation and also toughening him up and helping him get off jams at the line could make this guy into a huge steal. hes got good hands, makes some crazy catches and seems to have very good awareness along the sideline. with his size, hands and knack for making tough catches... i think with improved route running and some added toughness he could end up being quite the steal here. nice pick.

great mock norwood, i loved it. obviously we didnt agree on everything, but there isnt a pick in your falcons mock that i dont like. at the very worst id be alright with it. and very nice job on the 1st round mock. again, didnt agree on everything but i can see what your thought process is on most all of them. the one that i really dont agree with is maualuga to new orleans, that just doesnt seem like a good fit. otherwise, very nice work.

good stuff, thanks for posting. ill get mine up in the next day or so i imagine.

-Mr. Offseason

One player that we did not mention at the LDE position is Chauncy Davis. Maybe he gets a legit chance to compete to start at LDE this year. Norwood32 is probably right we need to wait until next year to see what shakes out at the DE position. It was just so frustrating this year to watch the utter lack of a pass rush except for Abe and on some occasions Babs. You wonder what Babs could do at LDE?The other thing that could kill us is what do we do if Abe goes down with an injury this year and we are stuck with Davis, Jamaal, Biermann and Williams. Not a good thought.

To get around this maybe it would make sense to draft someone like Clay Matthews in the first. He fills a need at LB plus he can rush the passer.

I actually like Chauncey Davis. He should get more playing time IMO because hes actually somewhat of a threat to QB's. The only reason I want to wait another year to get a LDE is because JA98 actually does a good job against the run. We still need another pass-rusher though which is why i got a late round DE in Williams. He can also develop into a really good pass-rusher over time and could take over for Abraham. I'm also confident Biermann will improve a lot this off-season and have a bigger role.

First off: if this fell out i think this would be a very good draft. You address both sides of the ball and took a very holistic approach in your analysis. I'm still disagreeing that we don't get another rb in rotation but i'm assuming you think Thomas Brown returns healthy.

I like your mock better than most because you don't ignore the offense and simply draft 6 defensive players and have them starting. I do think that your namesake is not the true complimentary back for our rotation. I see a rb drafted in the first 3 rounds depending on how folks slide. You still didn't help the return game much. But i can't knock that as i'm not sure what the coaching staff thinks it has in norwood and douglass. i do know this, if they intend to utilize douglass more as wr i think a returner type will be drafted. Overall a good draft in terms of position and depth. A bit heavy on safeties and LBs but good overall.

Thanks. I know your a fan of taking a RB but i think that can wait or perhaps we pick up a guy in FA. Also I think Norwood and Douglas are great KR/PR, the only concern i have there is that they won't be focused much on offense because of that. Speaking of Thomas Brown, i think he could do pretty well at KR.

TE w/the 1st Rd pick?

Great input. You really know your stuff!

I'm really thinking we should bring back Boley and play him on the weakside. I mean, he did have a down year, but he is too talented not to rebound and be the player he was back in 2007. I think Brooking and Milloy are let go, it'll be similar to last season where we let Dunn and Crumpler go, but it's business.

As for the mock draft, it's pretty solid. Good job. Will Pettigrew last that long? Some mocks say otherwise, but I wouldn't mind drafting Clint Sintim to complete our linebacking core and play strongside, with Lofton in the middle, and Boley on the weakside. Sintim is a very solid player that has the ability to play the run and drop into coverage.

As for FA, what about Jordan Gross to play RT? I've seen sites say that the Panthers will franchise Peppers and trade him away and Gross will be the odd-man out. He would be an upgrade and Clabo could slide over to RG. Our line would be solid for years.

I would be fine with Boley coming back but the guy got benched for Coy Wire. In the playoffs.... I really don't think the coaches are confident in him. There is a very slim chance he comes back.

I think Pettigrew will last. I don't see him going in the Top 15 and the only team that might take him is Philly and with Britton on the board, they pass on him. From what i read Sintim isn't good in coverage, so...

Gross will want A LOT of money and I'm tryna keep this realistic so I don't wanna sign to many FA's. I didn't know they're thinking about letting him go though.

Thanks for the comments guys.

1st- Pettigrew- I wouldnt be upset with it. but in this scenario there are a few people that id be fine with adding available: Cushing, Paul Kruger, Pettigrew and Maybin. I think it would be ideal to move down towards the end of the 1st, pick up an extra 3rd and then see who is available. because i dont think theres any way that in moving down 4-8 selections that all 4 of the top 4 guys i like there would be gone. thats jmo.

I would like trading down. I really like Pettigrew though and I'm pretty sure Philly would take him with their other first round pick. I don't usually do mocks with trade-downs though, everyone whines and says its not realistic lol.

2nd- Meredith- This pick is interesting to me. on one hand he was impressive in pass pro (i believe) drills at the senior bowl once he moved to RT, but he has a LT build and im not sure how he is in the run game at LT, much less at RT. i think we could really use a mauler at RT, but at the same time id be comfortable knowing that both OT's are good pass protectors. its a tough call. i wouldnt be upset with the pick though. very original and well thought out selection.

I was really impressed with him in the Shrine Game. I don't think he was at the Senior Bowl... He is a bit undersized but i liked his overall game in pass protection and run blocking.

3rd- Harris- At first glance i really like this pick but i believe there are concerns about him getting off of blocks. i dont recall how he looked doing this at the senior bowl, but i seem to remember him being alright at it. If he can get off blocks alright then i would love this pick. right now i have marcus freeman in my mock (in round 2) because im not sure harris checks out at getting off blocks, but if he does then i would love to pick him up here. again, nice pick. im just not completely sold on him yet. ;)

He can be coached up. He will also be playing at WLB so he gets to work more in space. If he was to play at SLB he would be Boley 2.0 and thats no good.

4th- brandon williams- i LOVE this pick. love it love it love it. i have him in my mock too, but at the end of the 3rd round (you will see when i post it). i just think that this is kind of a thin class of de's, particularly for pass rushing ones, and i prefer to assume that a player will be drafted a little higher than i expect (and i figured him for a early-mid 4th round guy) so i just picked him at the end of the 3rd. but i would love to see this kid in a falcons uniform. he is a liability versus the run right now, but he has the frame to add on some weight (5-10 pounds without losing an ounce of quickness id say) but has great speed off the edge and could contribute as a pass rusher right away like mark anderson did for the bears a couple of years ago as a rookie. Abe and Williams at RE would be great, and he could very well develop into a potential replacement for abe at RE if he works to improve his game versus the run. GREAT PICK! :)

Good to know where on the same page here.

5th- Wiley- somehow i knew he would be in your mock before i even opened it. anyways i like the pick, and i know youve watched him a lot so i dont have to tell you why. hed be great depth behind sean jones and a good special teamer imo. nice pick.

lol you know it. I really like this guy. Very underrated player and hes a leader.

5th- Wililams- this is getting weird. he wasnt in my mock but i was definitely reading up on him and if i had gone another direction in round 1 or 2 he would have been in my mock. i really like him as a player though. im not sure if he will be here this late but it might be possible. maybe switch wiley and williams around? i dont know, its jmo. anyways, nice pick.

This guy sounds like a baller and he shined at the Shrine game too. I'd still prefer Wiley though so i have him higher :D

7th- Carr- ive had my eye on him since last offseason back when he was supposed to be a 1st or 2nd round pick and he is just getting slammed for his 40 time. if he can get it under 4.6 or maybe in the 4.55 range i think he will shoot up draft boards. however, helping him improve his route running to help him get separation and also toughening him up and helping him get off jams at the line could make this guy into a huge steal. hes got good hands, makes some crazy catches and seems to have very good awareness along the sideline. with his size, hands and knack for making tough catches... i think with improved route running and some added toughness he could end up being quite the steal here. nice pick.

He has the potential. It's up to him if he really wants it. That's why its a boom or bust pick. It's a 7th rounder anyway. I'd definitely take the small risk.

great mock norwood, i loved it. obviously we didnt agree on everything, but there isnt a pick in your falcons mock that i dont like. at the very worst id be alright with it. and very nice job on the 1st round mock. again, didnt agree on everything but i can see what your thought process is on most all of them. the one that i really dont agree with is maualuga to new orleans, that just doesnt seem like a good fit. otherwise, very nice work.

Thanks. I usually did 1st round mocks just to see who would be there when ATL picked so it would be more realistic. This is the first time i actually posted it.

Appreciate the comments.