Mock Off-Season #3

Norwood32

This is gonna be my 3rd mock of the year. Wanted to see how some guys did at the Senior Bowl and Shrine Game. Enjoy :D

Cuts/FA's

Ben Wilkerson - C

Antoine Harris - S

Lawyer Milloy - SS

Grady Jackson - DT

Michael Boley - LB

Coy Wire - LB

Justin Peele - TE

Brian Finneran - WR

Re-Sign

Tyson Clabo - OT/OG

Harvey Dahl - OG

Domonique Foxworth - CB

Brent Grimes - CB

Keith Brooking - LB - Must restructure, if not he's gone.

FA Signings

C.J. Mosley - DT - 6'2 - 305lbs - Can play NT and is very athletic

Sean Jones - SS - 6'1 - 220lbs - Ideal safety in the cover 2

Gabe Watson - NT - 6'3 - 323lbs - A young Grady Jackson

Angelo Crowell - LB - 6'1 - 241lbs - If his injuries check out he would make a great starting SLB

This draft class has very weak DT's... especially at NT which is what we need. Mosley and Watson will give us quality, experienced DT's which we won't be able to get in the draft.

1st round

Detroit ----------------Eugene Monroe - OT

St. Louis -------------Andre Smith - OT

Kansas City ---------Matt Stafford - QB

Seattle ---------------Michael Crabtree - WR

Cleveland -----------Aaron Curry - LB

Cincinnati -----------Jason Smith - OT

Oakland -------------Jeremy Maclin - WR

Jacksonville ---------Malcom Jenkins - CB

Green Bay -----------Everette Brown - DE/OLB

San Francisco-------Mark Sanchez - QB

Buffalo ---------------Brian Orakpo - DE

Denver ---------------B.J. Raji - DT

Washington ---------Michael Oher - OT

New Orleans--------Ray Maualuga - LB

Houston -------------James Laurinatis - LB

San Diego------------Chris Wells - RB

New York Jets ------Peria Jerry - DT

Chicago --------------Michael Johnson - DE

Tampa Bay-----------Knowshon Moreno - RB

Detroit --------------- Duke Robinson - OG

Philadelphia ----------Eben Britton - OT

Minnesota ------------Larry English - DE

New England --------Vontae Davis - CB

Atlanta -------------Brandon Pettigrew - TE

Miami -----------------Aaron Maybin - OLB

Baltimore -------------D.J. Moore - CB

Indianapolis ----------Percy Harvin - WR

Philadelphia-----------Louis Delmas - S

NY Giants-------------Hakeem Nicks - WR

Tennessee -----------Tyson Jackson - DT

Arizona ---------------LeSean McCoy - RB

Pittsburgh ------------ Phil Loadholt - OT

Falcons Draft

1 - Brandon Pettigrew - TE - Oklahoma State - 6'5 - 257lbs - 4.75

Gives us a huge threat at TE. Another weapon for Matt Ryan. Pettigrew had a great week at the Senior Bowl and showed everyone he could block just as well as he could catch.

01/23/09 - Senior Bowl Practice Stars: TE Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma State: His blocking skills, on the line and at the second level, were as advertised. Pettigrew displayed soft hands and an ability to use his body to shield and separate from linebackers in coverage. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

2 - Jamon Meredith - RT - South Carolina - 6'5 - 302lbs - 5.04

One of the most underrated OT's this year. Meredith is a very athletic pass blocker, but he is also a great run blocker. He was one of the best players in the Shrine game.

01/13/09 - East-West Shrine Monday practice: Jamon Meredith played left tackle and guard at South Carolina, but his strong punch and good foot work at right tackle opened some eyes. - Chad Reuter, The SportsXchange, NFL Draft Scout
If NFL teams are looking for an offensive lineman to come in and contribute immediately, they can look no further than this South Carolina Gamecock. To say Meredith is high on the experience factor would be an understatement.

In addition to his football skills (which include running under 5.0 in the 40-yard-dash despite his size), Meredith is outstanding in the classroom and will bring no off-the-field concerns with him into the next level.

He may not be a household name yet but Meredith is one of the top offensive tackle prospects in this draft thanks to his size, strength and smarts

3 - Nic Harris - LB - Oklahoma - 6'2 - 233lbs - 4.55

They said he was to slow to be Safety so he tried LB. At the Senior bowl he had an amazing week of practice at LB. He would be a great fit for us in the Cover 2 because of his coverage skills. Will be our starting WLB where he can work in space.

Strengths:

Outstanding size and bulk...Good tackler...Excellent instincts...Tough and physical...Active and aggressive...A decent blitzer...Nice special teams potential...Hard worker...Mature...Team leader...Durable and has a lot of experience...Was real productive...Offers some versatility.

Weaknesses:

Does not have very good speed or quickness...Lacks fluid hips...Isn't a big hitter...Just average hands and ball skills...Range is limited...Will struggle to turn and run in coverage ... Might not have a true position

4 - Brandon Williams - DE - Texas Tech - 6'5 - 252lbs - 4.72

A very talented pass-rusher that can sub in for Abraham. Had 11 sacks and 12.5 TFL this season and declared early.

5 - Otis Wiley - S - Michigan State - 6'2 - 210lbs - 4.53

One of my favorite players in this years draft. Wiley is a great leader and a great player. He has also played some LB as well.

Otis Wiley was the unquestioned leader of the Michigan State defense in 2008. Wiley became a starter late in his freshman year because of injury, and hasn't looked back.

Wiley has registered 239 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, 9 interceptions, broken up an impressive 22 passes in coverage, and even forced 4 fumbles. Wiley also packs some big play ability as shown by his two interception return touchdowns. Wiley has good size, good speed, and great instincts in coverage. He may not be as physically impressive as some of these other 2009 hopefuls, but he gives you a lot of bang for your buck.

His 14.1 yards per return average returning punts gives him some versatility, and his sure tackling could make him a special teams standout.

Unfortunately for him, this year's safety class is shaping up to be a deep one, which may cost him. However, the team that does draft Wiley, even if he slips to the fourth or fifth round, may find they got a steal.

12/31/08 - Earlier in the season, Michigan State strong safety Otis Wiley appeared on the verge of having one of the greatest individual seasons in school history. He had four interceptions, including one he returned for a touchdown, and six pass-breakups in MSU's first four games. He was on pace to become the Spartans' greatest punt returner of all time and once drew a comparison to former Chicago Bears and Kansas great Gale Sayers. In addition, Wiley was blowing up ball-carriers and receivers with savage hits. Then he injured his knee in the seventh game, against Northwestern, and his impact diminished in the second half of the season. "I sat out the Michigan game because my knee was really bothering me," Wiley said. Having more than a month to recover between the Nov. 22 regular-season finale at Penn State and Thursday's Capital One Bowl against No. 16 Georgia has done wonders for Wiley. Wiley has not been wearing a knee brace in practice and hopes to regain the form that once had some observers projecting him as a first-day NFL draft pick. "I think I'm back to where I was at the beginning of the season," Wiley said Tuesday during the Capital One Bowl player press conference at B.B. King's Blues Club. "My leg has definitely gotten stronger. "This time off to get ready for the bowl game has definitely prepared my knee to get better and train my mind to fight through the pain, and this Thursday I can definitely take a crack at it." - Steve Grinczel, Michigan Live

5 - Jason Williams - OLB - Western Illinois - 6'1 - 241lbs - 4.55

This is a LB i really like and i feel is capable of starting for us at SLB. He is a small school guy but at the Shrine Game he proved he should be mentioned with the big boys. He is great in Coverage and will be a good fit for us. Not only that, he is a punishing run-stopper as well.

01/16/09 - EAST-WEST SHRINE STANDOUT: LB Jason Williams, Western Illinois: The Leatherneck showed versatility all week, running with tight ends down the seam and stepping into the hole to stop running backs in their tracks. His size and athleticism put him at the top of the linebacker group despite the presence of players from big programs like Southern California, Cal and South Carolina. - Chad Reuter, The SportsXchange, NFLDraftScout

01/14/09 - East-West Shrine Tuesday practice: Linebackers Kaluka Maiava (USC) and Jason Williams (Western Illinois) showed their strengths and weaknesses today. Williams' athleticism to stay with tight ends down the seam was impressive, but he was coached up on one play because he left his zone in the middle to follow a tight end and the quarterback threw the ball to an open man behind him. - Chad Reuter, The SportsXchange, NFL Draft Scout

01/13/09 - East-West Shrine Monday practice: Western Illinois linebacker Jason Williams is a well-built prospect that showed some pop playing inside and willingness to be physical at the point of attack. - Chad Reuter, The SportsXchange, NFL Draft Scout

7 - Greg Carr - WR - Florida State - 6'6 - 216lbs - 4.63

Boom or bust pick. He is a talented WR that was forced to deal with a bad QB. His large size makes him a threat in the redzone and that's what I'm hoping he can do for us. Finneran is getting old and and we'll need someone to do what Finneran did for us.

And that is my post-Senior bowl mock. I would greatly appreciate and feedback, good or bad.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I read it, I have to thank you for making a full 1st round mock, because it's way easier to judge when you see who's available. Great job.

I really like offseason and draft (the more I watch Pettigrew, the more I like the pick ... and if the teams in front of us draft like that, him and Maybin would even be, BPA when we pick ... in other words, I love it), Gabe Wilson's weight isn't right tho ... but a 233lbs Nose Tackle would look funny ;)

Before I read it, I have to thank you for making a full 1st round mock, because it's way easier to judge when you see who's available. Great job.

I really like offseason and draft (the more I watch Pettigrew, the more I like the pick ... and if the teams in front of us draft like that, him and Maybin would even be, BPA when we pick ... in other words, I love it), Gabe Wilson's weight isn't right tho ... but a 233lbs Nose Tackle would look funny ;)

lol sorry about that. Supposed to be 323. Thanks for the feedback. That is the reason why i made 1st round mocks. It makes it much better to determine who will be there when we pick so it's more realistic.

nv i didnt read down...

I donlt like the idea of a 5th round pick coming in and starting day 1... Maybe if we added a SLB in FA...

That could be an option since we could use the experience. I really fell comfortable with Jason Williams though. He can do it all, he just never got much attention because hes playing at Western illinois.

Thanks for the comments.

nicely done buddy, this mock looks solid.

this will immediately put us as an elite offense. i also hope brookings restructures.

the nic harris pick is solid, it just seems from freshman to senior we have seen a young kid fill out to become a LB.

p.s. u listed gabe watson as 233lb. you said younger grady, when he was like 10yr old huh? lol :)

nicely done buddy, this mock looks solid.

this will immediately put us as an elite offense. i also hope brookings restructures.

the nic harris pick is solid, it just seems from freshman to senior we have seen a young kid fill out to become a LB.

p.s. u listed gabe watson as 233lb. you said younger grady, when he was like 10yr old huh? lol :)

Thanks man. I hope Brooking restructures as well. He isn't the same player he used to be but we need him there for his leadership.

lol I like that people are noticing the Gabe Watson error, means people are reading the whole thing. I should make mistakes more often :P

why in the world would you not re-sign Coy Wire? He started for us and was an upgrade over Michael Boley for the last four games of the year. Also, Coy should be relatively cheap. He probably is best suited to be a back-up but he most definitely should be resigned. He makes less money than Brooking and is more productive.......

why in the world would you not re-sign Coy Wire? He started for us and was an upgrade over Michael Boley for the last four games of the year. Also, Coy should be relatively cheap. He probably is best suited to be a back-up but he most definitely should be resigned. He makes less money than Brooking and is more productive.......

He's good against the run but doesn't offer anything dropping back in coverage which is important. He's also getting up there in age.

I think that's a very solid offseason if we added a midtier SLB in free agency. You don't want 3rd and 5th round picks as your LBs, but I like the rest.

I also would likely take a later TE...I think we greatly need one, but I don't think we need a great one...so a 3rd round TE could really help us enough to take pressure off of Roddy. That said, I wouldn't be upset with it.

I think that's a very solid offseason if we added a midtier SLB in free agency. You don't want 3rd and 5th round picks as your LBs, but I like the rest.

I also would likely take a later TE...I think we greatly need one, but I don't think we need a great one...so a 3rd round TE could really help us enough to take pressure off of Roddy. That said, I wouldn't be upset with it.

Your probably right about the LB thing. That would help us a lot more. I'd still want Harris and Williams though.

I disagree on the TE though. We need a legitimate weapon at TE, but we also need a guy that fits Mularkey's system that utilizes blocking TE's. Pettigrew does both extremely well. We can't get that in the later rounds.

What about drafting a replacement for JA98 to play LDE before the 3rd round, like a P. Kruger or R. Ayers.

I decided to go with upgrading the RT spot. You can go either way really. I got us a situational pass-rusher that will come in when Abraham is resting and will be opposite Abraham on passing situations.

Your probably right about the LB thing. That would help us a lot more. I'd still want Harris and Williams though.

I disagree on the TE though. We need a legitimate weapon at TE, but we also need a guy that fits Mularkey's system that utilizes blocking TE's. Pettigrew does both extremely well. We can't get that in the later rounds.

I have a fix for you ... sign Crowell to a 2 or 3 year deal. Because of his injury he won't be to expensive and he's a good player when healthy.

Agree on the TE comment ... Pettigrew is the only TE in the draft, who could start from Day 1, play all 3 downs and not give away what we intend to do ... he'd be a good (big and tough) target in the middle of the field, which is exactly what we've been missing last season. And with his great blocking skills he could seal the edge on outside runs, which was another weakness last season ... we couldn't get Norwood into open space, because LBs and DEs broke down (pretty much) every outside run.

I have a fix for you ... sign Crowell to a 2 or 3 year deal. Because of his injury he won't be to expensive and he's a good player when healthy.

Agree on the TE comment ... Pettigrew is the only TE in the draft, who could start from Day 1, play all 3 downs and not give away what we intend to do ... he'd be a good (big and tough) target in the middle of the field, which is exactly what we've been missing last season. And with his great blocking skills he could seal the edge on outside runs, which was another weakness last season ... we couldn't get Norwood into open space, because LBs and DEs broke down (pretty much) every outside run.

I was thinking about him but he has a bit of an injury history doesn't he? Also how is he in coverage? It would suck to have Boley 2.0

I was thinking about him but he has a bit of an injury history doesn't he? Also how is he in coverage? It would suck to have Boley 2.0

He was good in coverage ... He had a broken leg in 06 (where he had 83 tackles, 2 sacks and 2 ints in 12 games) and the knee injury this season (07 he had 126 tackles, 2 sacks and 1 int), he actually wanted a quick fix to be able to play, but the Bills moved him to the IR and he had surgery to fix everything. I'd love to see him practice to see if he's recovered well, but I'm sure one of our scouts could check that ... if he's healthy, he could be a (pretty big) upgrade to what we had last season.

He was good in coverage ... He had a broken leg in 06 (where he had 83 tackles, 2 sacks and 2 ints in 12 games) and the knee injury this season (07 he had 126 tackles, 2 sacks and 1 int), he actually wanted a quick fix to be able to play, but the Bills moved him to the IR and he had surgery to fix everything. I'd love to see him practice to see if he's recovered well, but I'm sure one of our scouts could check that ... if he's healthy, he could be a (pretty big) upgrade to what we had last season.

Sounds good. I never knew much about him since he's been injured lately and i didn't watch more football back when he was healthy. I'll pencil him in. Thanks for the info.

I hate that Brandon Williams came out this year. He really should have stayed at Texas Tech another year but his family was having monetary problems so I understand his decision. He's be a good rotational player but a full time DE I don't see it.

With the proper time to hone his game, Williams will be good. He just needs time.

I hate that Brandon Williams came out this year. He really should have stayed at Texas Tech another year but his family was having monetary problems so I understand his decision. He's be a good rotational player but a full time DE I don't see it.

He'll be a rotational guy. Jamaal would still start.. at least at the start of the season.