Needle Exchange programs

rvrndzombii

I don't really think they are needed. If you want new needles, you can go to the drug store. And they aren't expensive.

they are illegal in some places. (which is dumb to me)... plus it is a lot of money when you are spending it all trying to get high.. that is why sharing occurs....

I'm not entirely sure what a needle exchange program is, but assuming its exhanging needles for drug addicts, I'm not really for it.

I think that its really a big thing to promote safety over all else, and for example I'm a big supporter of things like schools giving out condoms, but there is a fine line between that and heavy drug use. There is a certain point where a persons activity has so much inherent danger that we can't go around trying to make it safe. We just have to accept that when they do it they assume the risks associated with it.

There are alot of data from European programs that show safe injection sites reduce the number of overdoses, and in some cases, reduce the amount of total usage.

Needle exchange programs cut down on hepatitis cases, and reduce the transmission of HIV. In the long run, they save money.

yessir... Prevention and treatement and harm reduction programs actually yield 7 dollars in benefits for every one dollar spent. Ill have to do a search but i can link it......ive had to write several papers on these topics. I think they could save a lot of lives. Another thing that gets overlooked is that they actually eventually get a lot of people in to treatment since they have daily contact with the people at the centers.

I agree with most any method that would combat AIDS.

Not to mention that getting them in the door can also give you access to help them.

Some people would rather let their own personal thoughts get in the way of helping to battle AIDS. :rolleyes:

no. pencilpusher and I's method would be battling aids and the drug problem at the same time.

No reason to be government funded, and the public good is minimally impacted by such programs. We spend billions on AIDS awareness, and people know the risks. To actively choose to participate in destructive behavior despite awareness is insanity. There is no reason to facilitate or underwrite inrresponsible behavior. However, if some private group wants to make this their cause celebre', then so be it, and they're free to hand out all the needles they want.

I agree with most any method that would combat AIDS.

Not to mention that getting them in the door can also give you access to help them.

Some people would rather let their own personal thoughts get in the way of helping to battle AIDS. :rolleyes:

Battling AIDS. PHHHH! Want to know how to stop AIDS? STOP F###ING! Everyone wants to "cure AIDS" but nobody wants to stop having casual, premarital sex.

Battling AIDS. PHHHH! Want to know how to stop AIDS? STOP F###ING! Everyone wants to "cure AIDS" but nobody wants to stop having casual, premarital sex.

Wow, someone needs to be informed on all of the other ways to get infected. :lol:

You aren't going to stop drug use by saying you don't want to reward it. At least with THIS sort of idea, there is at least 1 positive outcome. Turning your nose up to it doesn't have add any kind of positive.

Wow, someone needs to be informed on all of the other ways to get infected. :lol:

You aren't going to stop drug use by saying you don't want to reward it. At least with THIS sort of idea, there is at least 1 positive outcome. Turning your nose up to it doesn't have add any kind of positive.

So please inform me of the ways to get infected that are NOT the result of drug abuse or casual sexual practices. (And if you mention the .0001% of cases that are the result of a blood transfusion or toilet seat or something, I'll scream)

How about this: Stop sinning and AIDS will cure itself.

So please inform me of the ways to get infected that are NOT the result of drug abuse or casual sexual practices. (And if you mention the .0001% of cases that are the result of a blood transfusion or toilet seat or something, I'll scream)

How about this: Stop sinning and AIDS will cure itself.

You didn't even mention drug use. You simply said this:

No where did you say drugs. You simply claimed that "F###ING" was the only cause and that by stopping that, it will eradicate the disease.

You are using your own self righteous morals to oppose this but bring no other kind of positive solution to the table.

Careful that your halo doesn't slip around your neck and choke you to death. -_-

Its an interesting thought....and the outcome would possibly lower transmittable disease rate, which would lower indigent care costs in mostly already hurting hospitals that work with these patients on a daily basis.

There is minimal downside to these programs, and great incentives to work with them.

You didn't even mention drug use. You simply said this:

No where did you say drugs. You simply claimed that "F###ING" was the only cause and that by stopping that, it will eradicate the disease.

You are using your own self righteous morals to oppose this but bring no other kind of positive solution to the table.

Careful that your halo doesn't slip around your neck and choke you to death. -_-

I did not mention drug use because that method of getting AIDS was discussed in your first post. I thought it was a given that that one was already on the list. Never said f'ing was the ONLY cause. And I did bring a positive solution. Stop doing the things that spreads AIDS. Simple cure.

I did not mention drug use because that method of getting AIDS was discussed in your first post. I thought it was a given that that one was already on the list. Never said f'ing was the ONLY cause. And I did bring a positive solution. Stop doing the things that spreads AIDS. Simple cure.

Yeah, there's an idea that no one has had before. :rolleyes:

Thank God that you came along to inform everyone of that amazing solution. :o

Here in the real world, problems find you just as much as you find problems. <_<

How do you propose to eradicate the premarital sex and drug use? Simply turning away from it and saying "shame on you" doesn't change a ****ing thing.

The fact is, junkies don't operate with this sort of...logic. People who are addicts WILL get high, knowing full well the consequences. And, most of them don't have health insurance. So, when they get infections, or overdose, the cost burden is shifted to the taxpayers.

Morality and responsibility do not belong in a conversation about treating the hardcore drug addicts of society - a degree of pragmatism is required.

The fact is, junkies don't operate with this sort of...logic. People who are addicts WILL get high, knowing full well the consequences. And, most of them don't have health insurance. So, when they get infections, or overdose, the cost burden is shifted to the taxpayers.

Morality and responsibility do not belong in a conversation about treating the hardcore drug addicts of society - a degree of pragmatism is required.

And it is that type of defeatist, compromising attitude that got us here in the first place.

I agree 100% that my solution is unreasonable. Maybe even impossible. But (I know Mojo's gonna love this one! ;) )...

Matthew 19:26 (Whole Chapter)

But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.