Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

.CharlestonChad.

Matt Ryan vs. Mike Vick stats

Who was the better QB?   136 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Matt Ryan
    • Mike Vick

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

96 posts in this topic

Of course they've forgotten. Their hate has consumed them to the point not being able to remember anything but negative ON FIELD performance. You'd think his on field performance would have him as the WORST to ever play the position for the Falcons.... <_<

No doubt, VICK WAS THE MAN !!! :D

Of course they've forgotten. Their hate has consumed them to the point not being able to remember anything but negative ON FIELD performance. You'd think his on field performance would have him as the WORST to ever play the position for the Falcons.... <_<

I dont really see any Vick hate around here at all anymore until threads pop up trying to call people out and praise Vick when he is no longer relevent, besides being potential trade bait.

the whole point of the thread is to show that it's not impossible for a young QB to show amazing potential and not develop into a HOFer. Ryan has been crowned a future HOFer by many on this board, as well as every major sports writer in this country. Give the kid some slack, please.

I am not argueing here, but can anyone provide me a rookie QB that really had a great season, but then flopped for his career?

I would be interested in knowing....I cant think of any, but I am sure there are some.

I am not argueing here, but can anyone provide me a rookie QB that really had a great season, but then flopped for his career?

I would be interested in knowing....I cant think of any, but I am sure there are some.

It really depends on the standards. I wouldn't say that Marino flopped, but he never won a SB....and I'm not sure how many SB apperances he has. I get really board with a "TON" of passing yards and no championship.

Montana

Young

B. Rothlesberger

Bradshaw

Warner

Theisman

Farve

Brady

D. Williams

Honorable Mentions:

Marino

Barksowski

Chandler

Vick

Ryan (so far, so good)

Matt Ryan clearly has the better team. He has a superior running back to what Vick had, superior coaching a much improved offensive line compared to when Vick was playing and the passes Jenkins and White are catching now, they were dropping when Vick was QB

So if you were given the option of having Michael Vick (none of the off field stuff, just as a player) from 2002, you would take him over Matt Ryan now for the next 10 years?

First off we don't know what type of player anyone will be in 10 years that's why letting things play out is a must, especially considering most players don't even last 10 years in the league, let alone with the same team. Players progress and some regress, it's a fact of the NFL. I can't assume Ryan is going to be some type of juggernaught or even predict he will be in a Falcon uniform in a decade. All I can do is be supportive and objective with what I see and what I have seen. All I know is the guy with the so called "weak" stats was never one and done in the playoffs, go figure and GO FALCONS!!

Matt Ryan clearly has the better team. He has a superior running back to what Vick had, superior coaching a much improved offensive line compared to when Vick was playing and the passes Jenkins and White are catching now, they were dropping when Vick was QB

Easy for a Vick fan to say.... Fin was younger and had an awesome season. Crumpler was in his prime.. Brooking was younger and had a better season... Ray Buchannon had a good year. The running back argument is a joke cause that was the year of the DVD (Dun, Vick, Duckett). Poor arse argument.... The reason those guys didn't catch Vick's balls was cause he had NO TOUCH. Don't get me wrong, I liked Vick before but he was NEVER a great QB. Great athelete, YES. Even the stats presented in this post were TOTAL YARDS... not passing yards.

Rating them as a QB... Ryan has already surpassed what Vick EVER DID. Vick has/had a career QB rating of 75.7!

the comparison with vick ends with the fact that you can't compare the two players because they play on different teams in different schemes.

the entire offensive team was better for ryan.

who were vicks WRs?

who was the Oline?

totally different.

we just need to say that vick took us to the playoffs twice. the first time he made history and the next time he made it to the NFC championship game. both trips he won a playoff game in spectacular fashion....becoming the first team ever to beat green bay in green bay and secondly taking dez white and peerless price to the NFC championship game with a 150 pound running back and zero offensive line.

Ryan had a great season and his future looks very bright. He is going to be a great QB in my opinion if he doesn't get hurt or something crazy happens. He took us to the playoffs but he hasn't done anything yet. gotta win the division and when you get to the playoffs, you gotta win games in the playoffs.

Easy for a Vick fan to say.... Fin was younger and had an awesome season. Crumpler was in his prime.. Brooking was younger and had a better season... Ray Buchannon had a good year. The running back argument is a joke cause that was the year of the DVD (Dun, Vick, Duckett). Poor arse argument.... The reason those guys didn't catch Vick's balls was cause he had NO TOUCH. Don't get me wrong, I liked Vick before but he was NEVER a great QB. Great athelete, YES. Even the stats presented in this post were TOTAL YARDS... not passing yards.

Rating them as a QB... Ryan has already surpassed what Vick EVER DID. Vick has/had a career QB rating of 75.7!

with 2 playoff wins in two trips.

I hope you aren't comparing a young finn to roddy white!!!!!

no comparison. DVD was only good because of the threat of Vick and the bootleg. it was a total bootleg offense.

If the 2002 or the 2004 teams had manning or brady, they would not have prolific passing numbers with those WRs and Oline...get real. any other QB would have been beaten to death because they wouldn't have been able to get away from guys in the backfield before you finish the drop.

Ryan is a better passer than Vick. Ryan's arm is stronger than I thought it was, but Vick still had a stronger arm. Vick would never have been able to run this offense the way Ryan did. And Ryan could never run the way Vick did.

not gonna get into the huge debate that is always ongoing here, but IMO the defense was much better back then(Vick days), and obviously receiving TE was way better. With that said, Turner/Norwood is a much better RB combo than we've had since the 98' running game(solely from RB's). I'm excited about the future, again.

with 2 playoff wins in two trips.

I hope you aren't comparing a young finn to roddy white!!!!!

no comparison. DVD was only good because of the threat of Vick and the bootleg. it was a total bootleg offense.

If the 2002 or the 2004 teams had manning or brady, they would not have prolific passing numbers with those WRs and Oline...get real. any other QB would have been beaten to death because they wouldn't have been able to get away from guys in the backfield before you finish the drop.

and 2 playoff losses..... Do you honestly believe that we would have EVER went to the SB with Vick? Will it happen with Ryan, who knows but I think it will happen. I definitely think we will finally get our b2b winning seasons!

No. The person who I was quoting stated that the reason Vick didn't have better passing stats was b/c the WR's dropped the ball. Duckett and Dunn compiled for nearly as many yards as Turner/Norwood did this year.

I disagree. The oline was improved but the reason for the drastic turn around in sacks was Ryan getting rid of the ball. Instead of 1,2,3 RUN it was PASS. Or if you're talking 07 1,2,3 SACK. Vick wasn't a pocket passer, s**t he wasn't a passer period.

If I recall correctly this post is about the better QB...

Pzummo pretty much summed it up.

It really amazes me how some individuals would love to ignore what took place in Atlanta Falcons Football history from 02 to 06 at the QB position.....and 07 as well for all that matters....three QBs only managed 4 games....but that's never talked about, but if it was....guess who'll get the blame...YKW.... :lol::lol::lol:

Vick did not throw 24 td's in 2002, he threw 16. The other 8 were rushing.

Even so, his numbers were good in 2002 - his QB numbers were

Michael Vick 2002

231 of 421 passing comp 54.9% for 2936 yards 16 TD 3.8 % TD ratio 8 INT 1.9 INT ratio 74 long pass 7.0 avg pass

His QB rating was 81.6 - which was his best QB rating by far over any other year.

However, keep in mind that he never started 16 games for us that year - he only did that one year in his 7 with us - that was 2006.

If you look at those numbers against Matt's QB numbers in 2008:

Matt Ryan

265 of 434 passing comp 61.1% for 3440 16 TD 3.7% TD ratio 11 INT 2.5 INT ratio 70 long pass 7.9 avg pass

His QB rating was 87.7

As for the rushing yards and TD's - you can't include those with the QB passer ratings, but they certainly contributed to our success with him behind Center - and they are what made Vick unique as a QB. He was that QB/RB hybrid that teams must prepare for. That won't change when he comes back into the league unless he just fell apart in prison - which doesn't appear to be the case based on reports.

I wish him luck - hope he does well and I'll probably watch him wherever he goes - but I won't ever root for him against my team and I feel we have a great QB in the making on our team now - we are fortunate to see this kid from his beginnings with the Falcons.

and 2 playoff losses..... Do you honestly believe that we would have EVER went to the SB with Vick? Will it happen with Ryan, who knows but I think it will happen. I definitely think we will finally get our b2b winning seasons!

No. The person who I was quoting stated that the reason Vick didn't have better passing stats was b/c the WR's dropped the ball. Duckett and Dunn compiled for nearly as many yards as Turner/Norwood did this year.

I disagree. The oline was improved but the reason for the drastic turn around in sacks was Ryan getting rid of the ball. Instead of 1,2,3 RUN it was PASS. Or if you're talking 07 1,2,3 SACK. Vick wasn't a pocket passer, s**t he wasn't a passer period.

If I recall correctly this post is about the better QB...

Pzummo pretty much summed it up.

Turner had more yards than Duckett and Dunn by himself, Dunn and Duckett would not have had as many yards with Ryan at QB, Turner/Norwood is way more effective than Dunn and Ducket because they dont need the fear of a Vick bootleg. Mike Smith is a much better coach than Mora, and yes, White Finn and Jenkins dropped passes, regardless of touch, if its in your hands you should catch it

First off we don't know what type of player anyone will be in 10 years that's why letting things play out is a must, especially considering most players don't even last 10 years in the league, let alone with the same team. Players progress and some regress, it's a fact of the NFL. I can't assume Ryan is going to be some type of juggernaught or even predict he will be in a Falcon uniform in a decade. All I can do is be supportive and objective with what I see and what I have seen. All I know is the guy with the so called "weak" stats was never one and done in the playoffs, go figure and GO FALCONS!!

How about comparing their first year.Thats what we can do.

Are you serious? In 2004 we sent 5 guys to the pro-bowl, and in 2005 we sent 6 guys. Our 2006 squad had 13 players with previous pro-bowl experience, which was the 2nd most of any team in the NFL that year. The idea that those team had no talent and were "carried" by Vick is laughable. We were huge underachievers in 2005 and 2006, and Vick's sub-par passing was a part of that.

As for Ryan, he entered the 2008 season on a team that was expected by several in the media to go 1-15, and picked by the rest to win 4 or 5 games at the most. As a rookie QB, Ryan was able - and trusted - to all his own plays in the no huddle for significant streches in games, which is far more repsonsiblity that Vick ever earned, and is virtually unheard of for a rookie QB.

Running yards and highlight reel plays are a nice bonus, but much of what Vick could do with his legs was off-set by his inconsistent and inaccurate passing. Given the choice, I'd take a player who can gives us an efficent and prodcutive passing game from the pocket over an inaccurate, flashy run first QB any day of the week. Ryan is a class above Vick, both on and off the field.

Are you serious? In 2004 we sent 5 guys to the pro-bowl, and in 2005 we sent 6 guys. Our 2006 squad had 13 players with previous pro-bowl experience, which was the 2nd most of any team in the NFL that year. The idea that those team had no talent and were "carried" by Vick is laughable. We were huge underachievers in 2005 and 2006, and Vick's sub-par passing was a part of that.

As for Ryan, he entered the 2008 season on a team that was expected by several in the media to go 1-15, and picked by the rest to win 4 or 5 games at the most. As a rookie QB, Ryan was able - and trusted - to all his own plays in the no huddle for significant streches in games, which is far more repsosniblity that Vick ever earned, and is virtually unheard of for a rookie QB.

Running yards and hughlight reel playes are a area nice bonus, but much of what Vick could do with his arm was off-set by his inconsistent and inaccurate passing. Given the choice, I'd take a player who can gives us an efficent and prodcutive passing game from the pocket over a an inaccurate, flashy run first QB any day of the week. Ryan is a class above Vick, both on and off the field.

Wow,you really shot him down with some logic. ;)