East-West Shrine Game

Norwood32

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/0...ractice-report/

Some guys that I think could help us out and how they did.

- Kent State OT Augustus Parrish… had good footwork during 1-on1’s, he was active on his feet and did not over-extend, was better today than on most senior tapes, but during team and run plays he lacked strength at the point of attack and took a step back into the middle rounds based on his overall performance.

- Stillman (AL) DT Sammie Lee Hill… very good natural size, wide-body frame, flashed some quickness off the snap, had a nice spin move that would have led to a sack if it was a live drill, but later had a slight limp to his step due to a slightly strained left hamstring.

- Wisconsin DE Matt Shaughnessy… showed a good first step off the ball, liked his burst to the ball and showed a few moves during 1-on-1 drills that gave Ohio State OT Alex Boone some problems. Was the most refined of the outside pass rushers in this group.

- Texas DT Roy Miller… short, stout interior defender that makes his money by having a strong motor. He keeps fighting opposing blockers, but has limited pass rush moves, needs to play with leverage and use his low pad level to drive the pocket back; nice situational guy for a team that rotates their DT’s.

-USC Safety Kevin Ellison… did not show any ill effects from late season injuries, very good natural size, some scouts indicated that his best fit might come as a 4-3 WLB, all-star game practices are the worst thing possible for guys like Ellison who is better playing in the box and given short area pass coverage responsibility, but you still see his intensity and willingness to be physical. The game itself will be a better evaluation of his talents.

Gilbert seems to show up too:

"Jarron Gilbert(DT-San Jose State) threw opposing blockers to the ground with terrific strength more than once. He’s very disruptive and could be a nice cover 2 DT. He also got into the first real scrap of the Shrine Game practices."

http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/1/...t_day_two_west/

Glad to hear that some not-so-hyped DTs show up now ... I'd love to get Hill. Gilbert might go too early, but I liked what I saw from him this season.

hey guys, what do you think about Jorvorskie Lane, FB, Texas A&M?

a hidden gem convert to a TE in the NFL? hmm...we can certainly draw up some awesome plays for him. "great hands", "can carry the ball", did not read anything about his blocking skills but FB works for me :)

40 Low: 4.68 40 Time: 4.78 40 High: 4.89

Height: 6-0 Weight: 295

"made a pair of one-handed catches during his first practice. Needs to do everything at full-speed in order to impress, just something missing from his all-around game, not sure he’s only 275 pounds as listed; would seem higher to me in-or-out of pads."

i just did a quick glance of his 07 season.

"Productive junior campaign cemented his status as one of the elite big backs in the nation … rushed 169 times for 780 yards … averaged an impressive 4.6 yards per carry … scored a Big 12 best 16 rushing touchdowns … tied Texas A&M career records for both rushing touchdowns (44) and total touchdowns (45) … also caught 12 passes for 115 yards … named honorable mention All- Big 12 by the conference coaches … posted four 100-plus yard rushing games … scored four touchdowns against both Fresno State and Nebraska … was nominated for AT&T All- America Player of the Week honors after he rushed 23 times for 121 yards (5.3 average) and four touchdowns against Fresno State."

"01/13/09 - East-West Shrine Monday practice: Jorvorski Lane, A&M's 290 pound fullback actually showed soft hands today, as well as the ability to pound defenders while carrying the ball. - Chad Reuter, The SportsXchange, NFL Draft Scout "

Roy Miller and Jarron Gilbert have been my two guys for a while. Both late round prospects with high motors and good numbers.

I like Gilbert too ... he's not a NT by any means, but he'd be a nice UT for the rotation. I really like his athletic abilities and his motor ... with good coaching he could become a very good pro.

isn't Ramses Barden playing in this game? I want to see what that kid can do, his measurements are freakish, and he completely dominated on his level... he could be a real gem.

Nope, he was going to play, but opted out and is now going to play at the Senior Bowl.

I don' think hes much of a gem anymore. I've seen sites rate him as a 3rd rounder.

I've actually seen him rather high recently too... from the small amounts of film on him, I get the impression he is going to be very good with proper coaching. He has a huge frame, and great body control... the only thing that will hurt him is if he doesn't run well.

I've actually seen him rather high recently too... from the small amounts of film on him, I get the impression he is going to be very good with proper coaching. He has a huge frame, and great body control... the only thing that will hurt him is if he doesn't run well.

I don't care about speed when your his size. Just throw it up.

wonder if the only knock on sammie hill is durability? besides this report, i have tried pulling up a scout on him and have found nada.

what caught my eye is he is his frame 6-5 and 335.

if he goes undrafted could be a nice project for BVG.

Bear Pascoe(TE -Fresno State) must just like to run into the defender attempting to cover him. Watching Pascoe play the last few days has been like watching a wild horse race. You don’t know what is going to happen, but punishment will be doled out and someone will be bleeding at the end of it.

&

Phillip Hunt(DE-Houston) successfully bullrushed Fenuki Tupou in the pit, complimenting his natural speed rush and sack artist instincts.

2 of the guys I really like from this game.

wonder if the only knock on sammie hill is durability? besides this report, i have tried pulling up a scout on him and have found nada.

what caught my eye is he is his frame 6-5 and 335.

if he goes undrafted could be a nice project for BVG.

He's rising fast ... 2 weeks ago he was 7t round or UDFA pretty much everywhere ... now most sites between round 3 (which is a little high) and 6.

From draftscout.com: "01/13/09 - East-West Shrine Monday practice: Tall, massive Sammie Lee Hill (Stillman College) has raw talent, to be sure, and showed an ability to bull rush…but that was about it. He seemed to take to coaching well, however, as he used a spin move to beat his man later on. - Chad Reuter, The SportsXchange, NFL Draft Scout"

Sammie Lee Hill would be a great late round pick for us, although I may be biased since I drive his bandwagon

I think Gilbert would make for a great 3-4 DE and potentially a 4-3 UT.

As for Lane being converted to a TE, that just won't happen. Why? He is only 6'0 tall. Look at any good TE in the NFL, or even any starting TE - all of them are 6'3-6'6.

Sammie Lee Hill would be a great late round pick for us, although I may be biased since I drive his bandwagon

I think Gilbert would make for a great 3-4 DE and potentially a 4-3 UT.

As for Lane being converted to a TE, that just won't happen. Why? He is only 6'0 tall. Look at any good TE in the NFL, or even any starting TE - all of them are 6'3-6'6.

I think Gilbert could be a great 4-3 UT, he's pretty strong (somewhere on the internet is a weight lifting video with him) and very athletic (can't wait to see him at the combine ... this video is nice:

), at 6'6 with 295 he also has room to add some muscle-weight ... a training camp in the weight room with a NFL coach and he's at 305 or 310, adding muscles only.

Hill was always a great prospect ... I also like his interview, I like "Yes, sir", "No, sir" guys, as long as they're beasts on the field.

some guys that have really caught my attention this week:

Stephen McGee, QB, Texas A&M- he sounds like the far and away best qb prospect at the East-West shrine game. his teammates like him and respect him, he has shown impressive zip on his passes, good accuracy and has pretty decent size to go with it. he hasnt been very productive, but i think he will be one of the better senior qb prospects that comes out of this draft. i think he may end up going in the mid rounds, perhaps round 4.

Hunter Cantwell, QB, Louisville- I liked him for a while but after watching tape i decided that he had too long of a release and was too inconsistent with his accuracy. his practice this week has echoed that. he also has been holding the ball too long and apparently has looked nervous playing in front of scouts. hes really getting hurt this week, and hes going to take a big fall for it imo.

Ivy Mortty, OLB, West Virginia- He only practiced for one day but looked impressive when he did. seems to project well to the SLB spot which is something we will likely have interest in. hes a mid round guy but he is good at dropping back into coverage (quite good from the sounds of it) but is also aggressive and effective playing the run. im definitely going to keep an eye out for him when reading about the senior bowl.

Ramon Foster, OT, Tennessee- When i made my last mock offseason this guy was a fairly popular 7th round/UDFA addition and it looks like we may have known what we were talking about. hes impressed with his size and strength, so it will be interesting to see if he hangs around the later portion of the draft after this. he hasnt been great, but he seems to have been playing well.

Clinton McDonald, DT, Memphis- He has impressed in drills. he is very quick, uses his hands very well but is slightly undersized (6'2", 289 is what he measured/weighed in as). sounds like an ideal 4-3 UT to me, at least as far as depth is concerned.

Matt Shaughnessy, DE, Wisconsin- He has fallen on draft boards to a mid round prospect but i still like him. if he has the burst he once had before injury off the edge then i think he could be a good mid round pick up for us or some other team. he uses his hands very well and has done so in practice this week, however i have heard mixed reports on how effective he has been off the line of scrimmage. NFL Draft scout doesnt think he has shown good burst this week and describes him as unexplosive but norwoods site described him as having good burst. its interesting how different people can get such different impressions off the same practice. in any event, the film study i did on him left me fairly unimpressed, but i was hoping hed prove me wrong at these practices. thus far it is hard to tell if he has or not.

Terrance Taylor, DT, Michigan- Norwood hates this guy and hes been suckin it up as usual. draft scout even said he had become the "whipping boy" for the east DL coach because he was having so much trouble getting into the backfield or getting off his blocks. i thought that was hilarious. cold... but hilarious.

Roy Miller, DT, Texas- Im glad hes having a good week, ive been keeping an eye on him for a while. hes another DT that could be brought in as depth later in the draft. Hes been having a good week. leverage, leverage, leverage is the key for him (and frankly all other dts).

Nick Reed, DE/OLB, Oregon- Some say he doesnt really have a position but he has a fantastic motor and frankly reminds me a bit of kroy bierman in that regard. he weighed in at 247 pounds and is 6'2", so he is undersized. however his motor and effort he puts in will have him on special teams and probably an nfl roster come next season.

Louis Vasquez, OG, Texas Tech- Ive had this guy in a few of my mocks and i still like him, hes been impressive this week and has shown he can be a road grader i think. he is still inconsistent with technique but how is that surprising. hes good in pass pro but needs coaching and development as a road blocker. he has the mentality and the size/strength combination to make the improvements however, which is why i find him so intriguing.

Phillip Hunt, DE, Houston- Robb has been reppin this guy hard for a while now and hes definitely been impressive thus far. props for findin this guy and now he seems to be getting more and more attention.

those are some of the guys i liked or didnt like, there are more but im tired and i cant think of them all right now. :lol:

-Mr. Offseason