Roddy White is a good receiver,but he is not an Elite one

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can never win the roddy white battle. jenkins will always be better, laurent will always be better, harry will always be better, etc.

im glad we have a WR that can go over 1,000 yds and haul in 80+ catches a year. i remember what 02-06 and before were like when we had guys that couldnt catch a cold and everyone was LONGING for a probowl wideout that could CATCH and bring us 1,000 yd seasons. now we have that and all people can do is nitpick.

why dont people nitpick douglas, robinson, jenkins and fin like roddy? he's the most productive of the group yet he catches the most heat. idk im tired of arguing it.

I think you have to be an absolute moron to focus any attention on a core piece of our offense that has helped carry the team to the playoffs despite a weak defense. You might as well be debating about whether their uniforms were clean and bright enough or about the turf in the dome. There is always room for improvement and the best in any position is not perfect. How about we worry about White if he underperforms next year. Even if he doesn't improve to this undefinable elite status (I mean he is a probowler... but whatever) he will still be a great asset to this team so who cares? Last time I checked we were a rushing offense.

Our primary focus in on defense this offseason not the seating arrangement of the bench. And if there is any other doubt about why you shouldn't be arguing with the team expert... read my sig.

nuff said

1. larry fitzgerald: 1,409 + 1,431 = 2,804 (196 receptions 22 TD)

2. reggie wayne: 1,510 + 1,145 = 2,655 (186 receptions 16 TD)

3. brandon marshall: 1,325 + 1,265 = 2,590 (206 receptions 11 TD)

4. roddy white: 1,202 + 1,382 = 2,584 (171 receptions 11 TD)

1. Larry Fitzgerald: Passing offense, played with two QB's, one being a two-time NFL MVP and Super Bowl Champion. Also has another great WR in Anquan Boldin who requires the defense's attention

2. Reggie Wayne: Passing offense, plays with one QB who is a two-time NFL MVP and Super Bowl Champion. Also has another great WR in Marvin Harrison who requires the defense's attention

3. Brandon Marshall: Passing offense, plays with a Pro Bowl QB

4. Roddy White: Running offense, has caught passes from Chris Redman, Byron Leftwich, Joey Harrington, and the rookie Matt Ryan. Two head coaches and does not have a true legitimate counterpart WR on the team to help occupy the defense's attention.

Now, with those FACTS in hand, it is amazing that Roddy has had the production he's had over the past two seasons. You cannot hammer Roddy for lack of TDs because when the Falcons get in the red zone the majority of their scores come from rushing. They have rarely tried to score by passing. That said, RODDY IS THE ONE WHO GOT THEM ALL THE WAY DOWN THE **** FIELD. Roddy is the #1 NFL WR on 3rd downs. If you don't understand what that means, let me break it down for you:

Roddy converts on 3rd down. This means the Falcons get to keep the ball aka the drive is still alive. This also means that the Falcons have a chance to score. If the Falcons have more chances to score, then they have more chances to win. If they have more chances to win, then they make the playoffs.

End of story.

1. Larry Fitzgerald: Passing offense, played with two QB's, one being a two-time NFL MVP and Super Bowl Champion. Also has another great WR in Anquan Boldin who requires the defense's attention

2. Reggie Wayne: Passing offense, plays with one QB who is a two-time NFL MVP and Super Bowl Champion. Also has another great WR in Marvin Harrison who requires the defense's attention

4. Roddy White: Running offense, has caught passes from Chris Redman, Byron Leftwich, Joey Harrington, and the rookie Matt Ryan. Two head coaches and does not have a true legitimate counterpart WR on the team to help occupy the defense's attention.

Now, with those FACTS in hand, it is amazing that Roddy has had the production he's had over the past two seasons. You cannot hammer Roddy for lack of TDs because when the Falcons get in the red zone the majority of their scores come from rushing. They have rarely tried to score by passing. That said, RODDY IS THE ONE WHO GOT THEM ALL THE WAY DOWN THE **** FIELD. Roddy is the #1 NFL WR on 3rd downs. If you don't understand what that means, let me break it down for you:

Roddy converts on 3rd down. This means the Falcons get to keep the ball aka the drive is still alive. This also means that the Falcons have a chance to score. If the Falcons have more chances to score, then they have more chances to win. If they have more chances to win, then they make the playoffs.

End of story.

you sir, win.

End of story.

Ok since youre saying that Reggie Wayne and Fitzgerald had help check this man ok Boldin didnt even play against us the whole game.Fitzgerald single handedly dismantled The Panthers in their House.As far as Reggie Wayne goes,Marvin Harrison hadnt really been productive this season to be quite honest and the colts have been thinking about letting him go.Now on Roddy being number 1 on first down was true until our last few games when teams knew what we were doing thats why we started gettin so many INT's towards the end of the season because teams are hip to that,so i bet he wont be the first in the NFL on first down next season because teams will be prepared,unless we get a tight end to take pressure off Roddy and Jenkins.Now the only thing you said that i agree on is that we are a running offense.

I've only read the first and last page of this thread, but I'm going to give my opinion.

Roddy is a very good WR. Calling him "elite" is a little extreme for me. Don't water down the word elite. There should only be a couple of "elite" players at each position.

Is he a top 10 WR? Maybe. But top 10 doesn't mean elite....top 5 is elite and he's not top 5.

100% agreed.You couldnt have said it better man.I think he has potential an will be one by next season.

alright everyone just hold up a minute. how can u guys destroy a man for having an opinion. that's insane. you cant tell him he's wrong, an OPINION can't be wrong. and just b/c you disagree doesn't make you "right" either. yes Roddy White is a very talented receiver. but can you, in all honesty, put him in the same category as Steve Smith, Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald and Marvin Harrison?? I can't, NOT YET. I will say that he's progressing very well and he can only get better. and he's starting to elevate the play of the other receivers as well which is always a plus.

Thats exactly what i have been trying to tell them..hahahahahahaha!

mmm........ i think roddy is great, not just good, but i agree that in big moments he has fell a little short to bein an elite receiver, i do think we can get there in a couple of years with some hard work, he i a great route runner and fast in the open field, he just needs to improve his catching technique and be focused so he does not drop big play passes

Exactly because i broke to remote controls when he dropped passes because i threw them at the television.lol

Why would we look at what he did 4 years ago if we want to know if he is elite today??? Go look at Brett Farves rookie season... or how about Peyton Manning... 29ints in his rookie year. Guess he's not elite??

Because someone compared him to all of the WRs that preceeded him this year, but they only took the last two years and was still 4th.... :wacko:

Behind who? Wayne, Marshall, and Fitz... I would say that is pretty good company(elite company really).

Here's how I see it.

Some guys say Roddy is an "Elite" reciever based on his numbers.

Some guys say Roddy is a "good" WR, but he needs to be more consistant with the easier catches.

So basically, we're haggling over a person's perception of "Elite" and "Good".....how can you consider a WR "Eilte" just because he has 1 season of 1202, one season of 1300+, 1 season of 506 and 1 with 440+ oh...and 1 playoff appearence. Even Roddy wouldn't consider himself as "Elite".....In fact, he's anything but "Elite".

He's a threat and a Falcons Record Holder (doesn't say a whole lot) but still good. That's about it. But you can call him whatever you wish. ;)