Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MattM12

**Tank, Nnamdi, Snelling to FB and a pass catching TE... The Thoughts of an Englishman who loves the Falcons

11 posts in this topic

I have been off ill from work for a few days now, and have had alot of time to think about our plan of attack, and so many guys have some great ideas that I wanted to offer a few different spins to be looked at. I will leave the draft to the Mayocks and Dimitroffs of this world, but knowing how knowledgeable these boards are, im sure we fill the gaps in.

Key Frees:

Milloy: let him go back to Wash, he will cost too much to keep around.

Boley:overachieved last year unless the staff see him improving with a side switch into brooks spot

Brooking: believe me im angry about the 3rd and 16 as much as everyone here, but the guy bleeds red and black, if he takes the paycut,

let him mentor our stud rookie backers.

Dahl and Clabo: we have to keep the offensive line as a unit. All the great lines become great through gelling together. Healthy competition should be sought however.

Koenen: Pen to paper, asap please.

Position Breakdown

QB: in my eyes, we have a future HOF, but that is only my opnion. Scary thought is that he is only going to get better and better. Who knows maybe Dimitroff finds a backup for the future in the last rnd (something brady esque for trade value ;) ). I don't think its worth a draft pick this year.

RB: leave the RBs! Snelling looks great as a no.3, Norwood is a great change of pace back, and Brown is essentially being a rook all over again. We have a nice unit here, with the stats and aggressive line to back it up

FB: Is it me, or can we take a save in the cap room dept. and cut Ovie?.

...Think about it. Look at snelling, big, quick, good blocker, excellent hands out of the backfield, works a great screen. The more MR takes hold of the offense the more we will want more passing options (turner's only weakness??). I like the idea and would be interested to see what people think.

O-Line: The line could use 2 more as depth with the ability to compete. Picking up a center in the 5th would be great, there are a few special ones this year, Eric Wood springs to mind. Blalock, dahl, baker, clabo...all young, and all work hard.

TE: I will jump on my soapbox to say that i want a pass catching TE in the 3rd, no exscuses. It will complete our offense, period. Imagine Matty with the next Witten as an underneat option. Think about it, its a great year for it. It would make the throws "ryan wants back" just disappear.

DEFENSE

I have a few general thoughts on D for the various positions, which the recent chatter on these boards suggests that many of u will think im talking sense, and the other side will laugh..hard.

D Line

and no better place that to start with...Mr...Anderson.

JA is so close to being the "b" word it hurts. 2 sacks this year, ouch. But this is where the laughter starts. I think JA gets 10 sacks next year. He is tall, is going to put more beef on this off season, and with the same "non college" coach in the ledgendary Sugar Hamilton, he will develop into his potential. I agree with all the doubters to an extent, but every now and again i see something special i him, he just needs to get rolling.

I will be damned if he is our next pass catching TE, but boy that would be fun to watch!!!

Haynesworth: bye bye cap room, hello ego. I think its dangerous, and not a dimitroff move. Sorry, just my opinion.

Tank: Mr J on the other hand, well that i do like. He has flown under the radar in dallas this year, and i think i know why.

1. Watch hard knocks: the guy trains hard, is now humble and learnt from his mistakes. He also grew up, and he got out of chicago

2. the 3-4: get Tank back in a 4-3 and he will get sacks and block the middle..period.

3. HE is behaving himself: Pacman could of learnt from him. That is the way to come back from indefinite suspension.

I think it could be an inspired FA pickup, absolutely inspired. Still, saying that doesnt mean i believe it will happen.

So speaking without regarding FA pickups, do we think Trey Lewis is going to be big for us? he was pencilled in to start this season, so that will be an interesting minicamp story. Can JA play DT regulary?? you never know, it may save his career.

Will we sign Davis again? I think he is a great rotation player.

Will Abe have back to back 16 game seasons?? that is a big, but forgotten question in my opinion!

The Linebackers

Other than Defensive Line, this is the hot topic, with everyone having an opinion.

Well my head says brook backs up and boley is gone, which leaves us with nicholas, wire, and lofton. Curtis Lofton will go to 3-4 pro bowls in the next 10 years. Wire plays hard, nicholas is massively underrated, but doesnt make huge plays.

What i want, is one big free agent move in the position.

Dansby: young, perfect fit, but will be begged to resign

Suggs: wrong system i fear

Peterson: old, gettable, but would be out of position

Leroy Hill: the perfect balance of all of the above backers, he is my tip to come to the ATL

The other side, and 1-2 more spots on the depth chart are filled by guys from the stud draft class of LBs.

My vote for 1st/2nd round pick, OLB and DT. I say that because I think Raji would fit great, and Spikes would make us formiddable.

At our position, i believe one will be avaliable.

The Secondary: Much beaten up, but i will stick up for a few names here.

Foxworth: worth losing a 6th round pick? I think so, the guy plays hard.

Houston: Every day I hear someone asking for him to be cut. Newsflash, Houston was a 2nd year player. He is raw, I know, but wait, next year he will not be in question, mark my words (or laugh at them). He has all the skill sets, and he is firery and hates to lose.

Safeties? I have driven the Jones SS bandwagon for a while, and i can see it happening. Jones ups our turnover cout by Plus 5 next year.

Look for us to pick up another safety in the draft, anyone wearing a USC jersey springs to mind this year.

Don't forget, Von Hutchins will be back. Depth will return with him

Nnamdi: Wow, just wow. What a player, best "unknown" player in the league. If the money is right, he shuts down one half of the field for us for the next 10 years. I think he will take one look towards San Fran and Clements and have other ideas, as would you or I. Lets see, that would be huge.

And for anyone who is pushing hard for Oline in the draft, consider this:

Defense wins championships.

Look at the ravens(offense so bad they have to play a receiver with a seperated shoulder because he is there go to guy!!!)(and i smite anyone who mentions flacco in the same breath as ryan), steelers, eagles, giants, panthers(to an extent).

Crazy Defenses.

Our offense is better than every one of those, but they are all still alive this year.

..well thats how i see it ;) which will be massively different to alot of others!

Any feedback, positive and negative is well received.

Well done in 08 boys, u made everyone believe, and good luck in 09.. Carpe Diem

FB: Is it me, or can we take a save in the cap room dept. and cut Ovie?....Think about it. Look at snelling, big, quick, good blocker, excellent hands out of the backfield, works a great screen. The more MR takes hold of the offense the more we will want more passing options (turner's only weakness??). I like the idea and would be interested to see what people think.

DEFENSE

D Line

Haynesworth: bye bye cap room, hello ego. I think its dangerous, and not a dimitroff move. Sorry, just my opinion.

Tank: Mr J on the other hand, well that i do like. He has flown under the radar in dallas this year, and i think i know why.

1. Watch hard knocks: the guy trains hard, is now humble and learnt from his mistakes. He also grew up, and he got out of chicago

2. the 3-4: get Tank back in a 4-3 and he will get sacks and block the middle..period.

3. HE is behaving himself: Pacman could of learnt from him. That is the way to come back from indefinite suspension.

I think it could be an inspired FA pickup, absolutely inspired. Still, saying that doesnt mean i believe it will happen.

Disagree about Ovie, he was a major reason in Turner having such a great year in my opinion. Why mess with something that works well.

I am not a Tank fan and I don't trust him.

1. Sorry but I doubt Johnson would do anything that could hurt his FA stock by saying or doing something stupid on Hard Knocks, I know I sound cynical but I am not completely buying that he has turned everything around.

2. Can't disagree with that point he should benefit with a move to the 4-3.

3. I remember hearing on ESPN (I know it is ESPN but they do get something right every now and then) that Dallas was happy to be moving on from Tank because they felt he was a bad lockerroom player and when you are on the same team as TO that says something to me.

haha espn and hard knocks arent the best judges of character, but in the same sense everyone seems way to quick to go crazy about haynesworth, who isnt a nice guy, divorce an all??

Nnamdi is going to be the most sought after FA this year, do we really have the pulling power to bring him in?

I hope so, but I cant help thinking he will most likely end up else where.

Wow, great post. I don't know shite about soccer.

Starting to be a pretty big following over here - and we were on tv alot this past season so i would expect a fresh wave of UK Falcons fans =D

and where the **** have all my posts gone

Pretty good observations...

I do, however, disagree with keeping Brooking...and it's not because of the 3rd and 16 play, but moreso bringing in some younger, hungrier talent. I like the idea of moving Boley to Brooking's spot where he could possibly have better production. I feel like we should let #56 go because if we decide to keep him, then we should also keep Milloy as well. Both of those guys helped mold our young defense this year, so it should be all or none with those two.

I keep hearing a lot of posters talk about Nnamdi and at first, I thought that we didn't need to spend any big money on any FAs this year. Let's bring some young talent in and go from there, but I'm changing my mind. I like it. This guy is a true shutdown corner and if we can get Tank Johnson or another run-stopping DT here as well, then our defense will surely become top 5...we would have the pass rush and the corners to make plays on the ball.

I also disagree with letting Mughelli go...that dude has been a big help in protection and run blocking for our offense.

Positions to focus on in the draft: LB and S.

hey guy thanks for the positive fb, being an englishmen it sounds weird to be this into football, but i was a rugby player for 11 years and was forced to retire, and through love of Madden and it being better suited to my shoulders, i played some QB at Bath university. Needless to say the past few years i have become obsessed with the greatest sport in the world!!

Regarding Ovie: You know what, i completely agree with what u guys say about him, i love me some ovie, i was thinking purely on a money level, and with our RB depth with Brown coming back off the knee! But if we kept hold of him, id be a happy guy, he has been big for us so far, another good vet in the huddle aswell.

Tank is a risk, but a stud player, u never know, could be a great fit, but if we can draft a Raji or stud DT, or Trey lewis pans out like he should, we will be fine. Grady isnt getting any younger, and Tank happens to be a FA.

Nnamdi would probably (from FA that is, not including draft) be the biggest impact on our teams performance. Yea an OLB would be nice, but the draft class is...phenomenal, we could realistically pick 2 up with 2nd and 3rds and be set for years, just think of it with lofton in the middle. Would be scary... That is why i want brooking back. But if he has lost the fire, and respect of his teammates, then it might not be good.

Look forward to more thoughts, and a belated happy new year to everyone!!