War on Drugs

rvrndzombii

I get hours and hours of reading regarding drugs, and the debates surrounding their status on a daily basis while I am trying to finish up my degree in substance abuse counseling. There are always a lot of discussions on here, and they seem to pretty consistently split down the middle on most issues. I am curious to know where you guys stand on this issue. This is the ONE that i actually know quite a bit about so I look forward to actually being able to having an opinion that is actually fact based.

What do you guys think about the drug war? Is it working? Keep it up? Stop it completely? Is it a war at all, and against whom?

Im just curious to know where you guys stand. In some of my classes we debate over this, however the people I am debating this with are also going to school for the same thing I am, so I don't really get an accurate sample of the views of people out there.

Personally, I think the Drug War is a self serving purpose, aimed at making select groups richer, and keeping others in power. I think that the money spent on fighting the importation could be better spent on prevention and harm reduction efforts. For every news story we read about the millions of tons of drugs seized, 100 times that comes in "undetected". I actually recently read an article that noted that while we keep these ads up saying that buying drugs support terrorism, most terrorist groups and organizations are in favor of the drug war. I had never really thought about that, but I suppose that the illegality of the drugs is what makes them lucrative. Just to clarify, I am of the view that drugs should not be illegal. BUT i do think that more preventative and treatment options need to be available from a young age, as well as more realistic views regarding drugs and their use.

What are your opinions?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need more of it. Should make drug dealing a capital offense and if convicted, it should be an automatic death penalty. The execution should take place quickly. Not decades later. Same goes for all those on death row now. Make it quick.

I think the video games might have fried your brain dude.

I agree that is is a huge waste of money. I'm not a drug user and have no intention of becoming one, but I do think they'd be better of legalising many of the softer drugs. I'm torn when it comes to the harder ones. I wouldn't really like to see them legalsied, but then I'm not convinced that prohibition works either.

What gets me more than anything, is the whole hyposcrisy around drug use. Governemtns are happy to tolerate the widespread social evils associated with excess alcohol consumption because they make raise huge amounts of tax on the back of it, yet they won't allow people to take drugs lile cannabis in the privacy of their own home. They should at least be consistent.

If they decide to financially profit from destroying people's lives, they should be put to death. Making it quick would not only be cost-effective compared to current sentences of decades in prison, but it would clean up the streets.

The drug dealer is not forcing anybody to become an addict if a person wants to take a drug then it is their choice. Id the demmand for the product is there, then there will always be a supply of it and no amount of Muslim punishment will change that.

I agree that is is a huge waste of money. I'm not a drug user and have no intention of becoming one, but I do think they'd be better of legalising many of the softer drugs. I'm torn when it comes to the harder ones. I wouldn't really like to see them legalsied, but then I'm not convinced that prohibition works either.

What gets me more than anything, is the whole hyposcrisy around drug use. Governents are happy to tolerate the widespread social evils associated with excess alcohol consumption because they make raise huge amounts of tax on the back of it, yet they won't allow people to take drugs lile cannabis in the privacy of their own home. They should at least be consistent.

I totally agree. I think that marijuana legalization is the first logical step. I think of it as a good starting ground to eliminating the war on drugs. Start slow, see the results, and adjust until we have a healthy attitude toward drugs and their use.

Funny thing is, i am personally In recovery, hence my wanting to help others in this situation, but during my using days had you asked me I would have told you that this was a dumb idea. Now after being clean for 5 years I think it is the only logical one. The majority of the professors in my department lean heavily toward legalization (step process), as well, so its certainly gaining a lot of supporters. I think from past experience we have seen that incarceration is not a deterrent to drug use and distribution.

If they decide to financially profit from destroying people's lives, they should be put to death. Making it quick would not only be cost-effective compared to current sentences of decades in prison, but it would clean up the streets.

Philip morris is screwed then....and whoever makes alcohol.........and what about fried foods?

Philip morris is screwed then....and whoever makes alcohol.........and what about fried foods?

And you don't think I think the same for alcoholic beverage companies? You know how many DUI's and drunk driving deaths we can avoid annually?

Fried foods and nicotine are completely different than heroin and cocaine. I hope you see that.

And you don't think I think the same for alcoholic beverage companies? You know how many DUI's and drunk driving deaths we can avoid annually?

Fried foods and nicotine are completely different than heroin and cocaine. I hope you see that.

so if a 16 year old gets caught selling a nick bag of weed he should be killed?

I watched the documentary on Showtime called American Drug War : The last White Hope. It was very enlightening and some of the stuff I already knew. It's definitely worth watching. I think I recall it comparing Amsterdam's crack use to ours by percentages and ours is far higher. Not by the number, but statistically speaking. Their laws are not like our drug laws obviously, they are much more helping than reprimanding.

I don't know if I fully agree with what they do over there, but it seems to be working more than it is here. The harsh punishment has to stop for non violent marijuana users. It is senseless, and a waste of money. The government is protecting the alcohol companies IMO, deciding who get's rich.

This government really doesn't care about your health like they say they do when they are trying to get drugs off the street. It's a fallacy. If the government really cared about your health, cigarettes would not be legal. Plain and simple. Cigarettes kill more people than probably all of those drugs combined.

The laws need to be reformed, that is all there is too it. It is not working.

Just stop, you're going to lose.

x2

If a 16 year-old, like on COPS recently, is caught with a whole dashboard and center console filled with crack, he should be put to death if convicted, yes.

He was arrested for intent to distribute.

If a 16 year-old, like on COPS recently, is caught with a whole dashboard and center console filled with crack, he should be put to death if convicted, yes.

He was arrested for intent to distribute.

that wasnt my question. If a 16 year old gets caught selling a nick bag of weed should he be killed?

Like I said, the entire government should be put to death by his logic. Cigarettes kill more people, yet you can gain easy access to them. They say our drug laws are working, yet it is easier for a child to get his hands on some form of drug rather than alcohol or cigs.

Would we though? Our country has tried prohibition, and all that led to was bootlegging and going blind off of bad moonshine. I understand that you think that the sellers are wrong, however that is basically what this country is founded on. Supply and demand. You will never ever ever eliminate the demand. Its always been there, always will. Kids start looking for altered consciousness as soon as they can walk. Remember the sit n spin?

perhaps the billions we spend could be used to teach kids actual real world info, instead of a just a DARE program that actually does more harm than good.

I was really just trying to get opinions though, so I'm not trying to come down on yours. It is however not one I expected to hear.

What do we do with all those bodies????!?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We need more of it. Should make drug dealing a capital offense and if convicted, it should be an automatic death penalty. The execution should take place quickly. Not decades later. Same goes for all those on death row now. Make it quick.

dont see anything about cocaine or heroine in that post