the one thing I really want to see Matt Ryan improve on next year is his arm strength.

arm strength isn't everything but it is important. It's not as overrated as the 40 yard dash but it is still pretty important. Matt Ryan lacks arm strength. I've said this since I 1st saw him in preseason in a Falcon uniform. His arm is probably below average right now or average at best. He can probably throw a 60 yard bomb but he needs to have a rainbow trajectory for that to happen and that means the ball will hang in the air a long time (much like last night when he got picked throwing to Roddy).

A strong armed QB can launch a bomb with extreme velocity and lower trajectory. Much like Jay Cutler, Tom Brady or McNabb. Tom Brady didn't have a strong arm coming into the NFL but after his 1st year with the Patriots Belichek told him to get stronger and build up his arm strength now he has one of the stronger and most underrated arms in the NFL.

Brady wasn't blessed with a natural cannon like Vick, Cutler, Elway or Favre but he worked on it and built it up. Matt Ryan can do that and I believe he will. Matt Ryans football IQ is off the charts and his intangibles don't show up at a combine workout. He's got the brains and enough athleticism to be the next big thing at QB. Manning and Brady were not as advanced as Ryan is right now when they were rookies. With improved arm strength Ryan can take his game to the next level.

I don't know - I would like to see him improve his arm strength too whatever degree he can, but he doesn't have a pistol. I think it is the type of throws that are harder for him. Last night when he threw the int it seemed he was reacting against his earlier overthrow to Roddy in the endzone. He'll figure that stuff out with time. He is so-so on the sideline (still good, but improvable), but he can rip it across the middle of the field.

Strong arms really are overrated, as you said. You have good QB's who have strong arms, and you have crap QB's who have strong arms. It's nice, and the fact we can pick on that for a rookie QB is great, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I've seen him drop long balls right into his receivers arms in college and even in the NFL.

I take your point, it would be nice if he had a stronger arm, but I think an area of greater concentration would be focusing on specific types of throws, which I am sure he will.

If you really think Ryan's arm is not strong enough for the NFL level or lacking in anyway I simply don't believe you know how to assess talent. Its that simple.

??????

I hope I didn't sound this defensive when people critiqued Vick. I was simply stating he has below to average arm strength at best. It is something he can stand to improve on. Brady did it. Brees did it and I believe Ryan can do it. It helps in situations where you may not make your read as fast as you would have liked and you need the ball to still get there in time.

The INT Ryan threw deep to Roddy last night was because he paused and threw the ball too late and didn't have the arm strength to still lead Roddy. Favre in his prime could have still gotten away with reacting late on that play and he would have still been able to lead the receiver. Ryan will never have Favres cannon but his arm can still get stronger.

If you really think Ryan's arm is not strong enough for the NFL level or lacking in anyway I simply don't believe you know how to assess talent. Its that simple.

dude he needs to work on it. Nobody is cuttin on Ryan. He is a **** of a QB and will be the face of this franchise for years to come but there were atleast a dozen passes this year that he tried to go deep and just couldnt get enough distance on it. Alot of the time Roddy or Jenkins would have tto stop and come back for the ball.

Arm strength is the least important thing for a NFL QB. Yes, it can get better with some weightlifting, and it wouldn't hurt him. Tom Brady had a very similar body to Ryan when he came out. Both are/were skinny and lack(ed) muscle tone. But hey, Ryan has amazing work ethic and if Mularkey, Musgrave, and/or Smith feel he needs to get stronger, then yes, lift some weights Ice.

??????

I hope I didn't sound this defensive when people critiqued Vick. I was simply stating he has below to average arm strength at best. It is something he can stand to improve on. Brady did it. Brees did it and I believe Ryan can do it. It helps in situations where you may not make your read as fast as you would have liked and you need the ball to still get there in time.

The INT Ryan threw deep to Roddy last night was because he paused and threw the ball too late and didn't have the arm strength to still lead Roddy. Favre in his prime could have still gotten away with reacting late on that play and he would have still been able to lead the receiver. Ryan will never have Favres cannon but his arm can still get stronger.

Its not defensive...its the truth.

He isn't Joe Flacco, JP Losman or Jay Cutler....but who cares. He doesn't have a "below to average arm" at all. He has a slightly above average arm. He focuses more on touch and loft...just like Brady. Long balls that are "lasers" rarely are completed because they sacrifice touch for speed. Ryan throws a deep out with more than enough arm (see Chicago game). Your assumption that he didn't have the arm strength to lead Roddy is completely inaccurate...it was just a poorly thrown ball. Every single time a QB lays one out he doesn't go balls out. Matt made a poor throw on that particular throw and has made many better throws of similar and longer distances throughout the year.

Any QB could stand to do work in the offseason and I'm sure that Matt will lift weights and look to refine his mechanics...but to imply that he has some sub-par arm is ignoring the facts and creating fantasy.

Yeah I think its something he could work on and improve a bit. Also seems like he was throwing off of his back foot quite a bit too. There were a couple times earlier in the season where I felt we got very lucky that he wasn't intercepted because of that.

However, I am SURE that Matty will be working on a lot of things during the off season. I have zero worries about him. He has a great work ethic and I think next season will be spectacular for him.

Yeah I think its something he could work on and improve a bit. Also seems like he was throwing off of his back foot quite a bit too. There were a couple times earlier in the season where I felt we got very lucky that he wasn't intercepted because of that.

However, I am SURE that Matty will be working on a lot of things during the off season. I have zero worries about him. He has a great work ethic and I think next season will be spectacular for him.

The back foot thing scared me but is also indicative of him not having a "below to average arm." A weak armed QB makes that throw in the NFL and it goes for 6 the other way. Matt has more than enough velocity on those throws.

I'd be far more concerned with the decision to make that throw to Roddy or throw some off of the back foot than the inability to do so.

He was 8th in the NFL in 40+ yard completions. He was also 8th in the NFL in 20+ yard completions. He has an NFL arm.

I'd have to say if our only complaint after his rookie season is his arm strength, that's a really really good thing. Typically fans would be complaining about decision-making, hesitating, taking too long to get the ball out, reading NFL defenses, adjusting to the speed of the game, yadda yadda yadda. If the only thing he needs to work on is his arm strength, he's doing pretty good.