We must now rid this team of the Ghosts of Seasons Past

Ok, we are dont playing footbal this season. Time to look towards the future.

And this is the SCARY part for Falcons fans.

This team has been haunted since 1979. After every playoff season in history, this team has posted a losing record:

Playoff year Following year

2004 - 11-5 2005 - 8-8

2002 - 9-6-1 2003 - 5-11

1998 - 14-1 1999 - 5-11

1995 - 9-7 1996 - 3-13

1991 - 10-6 1992 - 6-10

1980 - 12-4 1981 - 7-9

1978 - 9-7 1979 - 6-10

This is the trend that must be broken. We can't go from a team that is on the way up to a team back in the toilet. This is the curse that Dimitroff has to break. It's hard sometimes for a Falcon's fan to have hope since we have been let down so much in 40+years. This is what is on the plate of the front office. I hope they can handle this task.

This team has been haunted since 1979. After every playoff season in history, this team has posted a losing record:

2004 - 11-5 2005 - 8-8

2002 - 9-6-1 2003 - 5-11

1998 - 14-1 1999 - 5-11

1995 - 9-7 1996 - 3-13

1991 - 10-6 1992 - 6-10

1980 - 12-4 1981 - 7-9

1978 - 9-7 1979 - 6-10

This is the trend that must be broken. We can't go from a team that is on the way up to a team back in the toilet. This is the curse that Dimitroff has to break. It's hard sometimes for a Falcon's fan to have hope since we have been let down so much in 40+years. This is what is on the plate of the front office. I hope they can handle this task.

Amen Rev!!!

Totally right !!! The Focus now must be the Break the Georgia Sports Curse which not only affects the Falcons but the Braves and Hawks and Bulldogs as well...................................

Remember the Braves could not get over the hump even though they won 15 straight Division titles, as it turns out Division titles in Basball dont mean a whole heck of a lot.

The Bulldogs cannot Beat Flordia and Tennessee in the same season.

The Hawks can never advance in the Playoffs

and our Falcons have never had back to back winning seasons.

IT IS TIME FOR THE GEORGIA SPORTS CURSE TO END !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF Thomas D who has brought the greatness and winning attitude of the New England Patriots down to Atlanta cannot BREAK it then it will never be broken, the TIME IS NOW !!!!

If there is anyone on the planet I would put in the position to build for the future it would be TD... I have no doubt that he and our entire front office will make another great off season. It is just so hard to deal with the fact that we don't get to watch that each and every sunday.

2004 - 11-5 2005 - 8-8

2002 - 9-6-1 2003 - 5-11

1998 - 14-1 1999 - 5-11

1995 - 9-7 1996 - 3-13

1991 - 10-6 1992 - 6-10

1980 - 12-4 1981 - 7-9

1978 - 9-7 1979 - 6-10

This is true and that's what makes this loss hurt more. We can all say watch out for us next year but it's not a guarantee that we'll even be in the same position next year. We have a tough, tough schedule and the FO has a lot of work to do. We as fans must have patience and not get down on this team if things don't go our way next year. We rebuilt the offense and now here comes the hard part, the defense.

As long as we keep building, the results will pay off.

I agree. Its' also a good time for everyone on here to realize the Dimitroff and Smith have had only one draft of their own. Limited time to sign FAs and inherited a 4-12 horrid team, bandaged it together enuff to get an 11-5 team. Give the regime a Free agent class and this draft under their belt and then let's judge them good or bad.

True enough, Last Offseason, with all the moving and hiring that the Front office did, they could not get down and fix the entire team, it was about fixing the organization from the top to the bottom and total overhaul was needed because Blank and McKay had shown that they had no clue is selecting a Head Coach. So

1.) McKay gave up his personnal duties totally and Thomas D was hired to take them over. McKay then stepped up (not out) to the a newly created postion of Team President, I dont think this was a move that was done overnight, it took time.

2.) Coach Smith is then Hired. Remember no offseason program or Process can begin without the Head Coach on board and ours did not begin until Smith was setting right in his new office at Flowery Branch.

This offseason we have a complete and total braintrust and front office in place to work starting NOW on the next stage of the Process. Everyone knows their role and They know what we need to get better. This Process will not end until we are winning the SUPERBOWL !!!!!

2004 - 11-5 2005 - 8-8

2002 - 9-6-1 2003 - 5-11

1998 - 14-1 1999 - 5-11

1995 - 9-7 1996 - 3-13

1991 - 10-6 1992 - 6-10

1980 - 12-4 1981 - 7-9

1978 - 9-7 1979 - 6-10

I think the big thing is that even though we need to make some changes on defense not to get rid of all the veterans that provide leadership and keep those guys focused. Its a fine line the GM is going to have to walk.

2004 - 11-5 2005 - 8-8

2002 - 9-6-1 2003 - 5-11

1998 - 14-1 1999 - 5-11

1995 - 9-7 1996 - 3-13

1991 - 10-6 1992 - 6-10

1980 - 12-4 1981 - 7-9

1978 - 9-7 1979 - 6-10

I think this regime is gonna be more flexible in it's thinking,quite honestly it's the best marriage of coach and GM since Bennett and LaBaron,without the ball and chain of the Smiths's. Blank spends the money I trust Dimitroff, and Smitty along with Mularkey and Van Gorder will get the right guys in here.

This one hurt but hopefully it's just a Detour to Success like the 1979 team video was called.

I think the big thing is that even though we need to make some changes on defense not to get rid of all the veterans that provide leadership and keep those guys focused. Its a fine line the GM is going to have to walk.

BINGO! i wish all the draftniks would understand this. We don't need to draft a brand new DL or LB corps. We need to carefully integrate a few key FA vets and draftpicks on the defense not blow it up. The same goes for OL.

2004 - 11-5 2005 - 8-8

2002 - 9-6-1 2003 - 5-11

1998 - 14-1 1999 - 5-11

1995 - 9-7 1996 - 3-13

1991 - 10-6 1992 - 6-10

1980 - 12-4 1981 - 7-9

1978 - 9-7 1979 - 6-10

Amen Rev first problem first back to back winning seasons is where we need to start. ;)

This is true and that's what makes this loss hurt more. We can all say watch out for us next year but it's not a guarantee that we'll even be in the same position next year. We have a tough, tough schedule and the FO has a lot of work to do. We as fans must have patience and not get down on this team if things don't go our way next year. We rebuilt the offense and now here comes the hard part, the defense.

As long as we keep building, the results will pay off.

You're right. Just ask the Cleveland Browns fans if they thought they would be so bad this year.

2004 - 11-5 2005 - 8-8

2002 - 9-6-1 2003 - 5-11

1998 - 14-1 1999 - 5-11

1995 - 9-7 1996 - 3-13

1991 - 10-6 1992 - 6-10

1980 - 12-4 1981 - 7-9

1978 - 9-7 1979 - 6-10

The trend already been broken since we didn't go from worst to first in our division

The silver lining is that we weren't a team built on an easy schedule and lucky wins. We competed in every single game, played a pretty tough schedule and won games in multiple ways. Yes next years schedule looks tough but how tough is it? Miami will have huge question marks and are prime for a fall back to earth. The Jets will most likely need to find a QB as well as fill out their FO. Buffalo doesn't scare me unless they make some startling moves in the off season.

I think we'll be ok. We certainly won't be 14-2 but we have a solid offensive foundation. Its time to pay attention to the defense and see if we can get it up to speed.

The silver lining is that we weren't a team built on an easy schedule and lucky wins. We competed in every single game, played a pretty tough schedule and won games in multiple ways. Yes next years schedule looks tough but how tough is it? Miami will have huge question marks and are prime for a fall back to earth. The Jets will most likely need to find a QB as well as fill out their FO. Buffalo doesn't scare me unless they make some startling moves in the off season.

I think we'll be ok. We certainly won't be 14-2 but we have a solid offensive foundation. Its time to pay attention to the defense and see if we can get it up to speed.

The future does look good. But there is still a lot of work to do. This defense needs to be gutted like the offense was last year. ANd we need to stay HEALTHY. When We lost Jamal Anderson in 1999, our season was over. We need to build some depth.

You know we can get on here everyday for the next 200 days and post about what we need to do, but we all will have to wait until the Falcons actually do it via Free Agency and the Draft before we will have anything real to talk about.

We are left to hope that we can field a team at last that can have back to back winning seasons..............but hope is all we have.

You know we can get on here everyday for the next 200 days and post about what we need to do, but we all will have to wait until the Falcons actually do it via Free Agency and the Draft before we will have anything real to talk about.

We are left to hope that we can field a team at last that can have back to back winning seasons..............but hope is all we have.

And hope will carry us through until next fall. It's just hard to have too much hope when it has never happened in your lifetime.

I've been trying to not think about this too much. Its a reality I am sure the front office is aware of.

I keep thinking that after a season like this how could we turn into a losing team next year, then we all said the same thing in 98 too didn't we? Yeah I'm a little worried, but even after all these years I still have faith. Lets just hope its rewarded.

Any die hard fan of this team has ridden this roller coaster for decades. Myself, since really 1978-80 going into the new season with high hopes to continue the winning ways, only to have the bottom fall out. In the last ten years, it has become quite unbelievable. 1999, 2003, 2005 and so on especially worked the 'ol blood pressure.

But all we can do as fans is what we expect of the team: Don't go in with a negative mindset. Treat each game as an individual step toward successful futures. I will not spend this offseason dreading the vaunted NFC/AFC East schedules. I have full expectations of greatness and pride.

Why not us?

The good thing is that we have so many young players that they are too stupid to know any better. They will come out next year prepared to succeed. Some of our curses of the past has been injuries to stars that carried us. Like when Jamal went down the season after the Super Bowl. That should v=be motivation to keep all Falcons off the Madden cover over the next couple of years. I would go as far as putting it in there contract that they can't be on the cover. The only think that could derail us would be for Ryan to go down with any serious injury. As far as next year, our defense will probably be very young. We'll probably have some more rookies starting if all goes well with the draft. It's a very real possibility that our defense might get worse before it gets better. I anticipate it to be much more talented and athletic but mistake prone due to young players. It might not be such a terrible idea to keep some of these older guys around for another year to help get these young guys ready to play.

The future does look good. But there is still a lot of work to do. This defense needs to be gutted like the offense was last year. ANd we need to stay HEALTHY. When We lost Jamal Anderson in 1999, our season was over. We need to build some depth.

I thank God you people aren't running this football team. The LAST thing we need to do is GUT our defense. I would agree, there is always fine tuning to be done, but we have an outstanding mix of vets and young players on our D.

Half of the 32 teams in the NFL averaged over 23 points a game. Ten of our games were against such teams, eleven if you count Arizona, YET, our D gave up just over 20 points a game which ranked 11th. We were ranked just ahead of Carolina and Minnesota and just behind Tampa and Miami. All praised for strong Defenses.

Yesterday we held a Cardinal team ranked 4th in scoring offense (26.7 avg.) to 21 offensive points, 7 of which were on a trick play. I swear you folks are LOOKING for something to ***** about.

I thank God you people aren't running this football team. The LAST thing we need to do is GUT our defense. I would agree, there is always fine tuning to be done, but we have an outstanding mix of vets and young players on our D.

Half of the 32 teams in the NFL averaged over 23 points a game. Ten of our games were against such teams, eleven if you count Arizona, YET, our D gave up just over 20 points a game which ranked 11th. We were ranked just ahead of Carolina and Minnesota and just behind Tampa and Miami. All praised for strong Defenses.

Yesterday we held a Cardinal team ranked 4th in scoring offense (26.7 avg.) to 21 offensive points, 7 of which were on a trick play. I swear you folks are LOOKING for something to ***** about.

I'm gald I am not running the team as well. But this team needs 2 DL, ant least 1 new LB, and serious help in the secondary. We are talking 4-5 new players. I call that gutting, just like what was done of the offense last offseason.

I've been trying to not think about this too much. Its a reality I am sure the front office is aware of.

I keep thinking that after a season like this how could we turn into a losing team next year, then we all said the same thing in 98 too didn't we? Yeah I'm a little worried, but even after all these years I still have faith. Lets just hope its rewarded.

All you ahve to do is look at the Cleveland Browns of 08. I think they were expecting another winning season. There are no sure things in the NFL.