The new truths of the NFC South...

ThunderCookie

I have never actually posted/read anything in here but this thread intrigued me because of these stats. I knew the Saints basically bought that team over time (the reason why they only had 4 picks the year before they went to the Super Bowl) but 54% and 67% is ridiculous. Even in 08 they only had 6 picks but only 2 were in the first 4 rounds. Their reign won't last long that team has little depth or youth. One injury to Brees (even though I'm not wishing for it TBH) and the team will collapse.

That could be said for the falcons or any other team in the NFL. There are not many backups that can step right in and do the same job.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2009, 54% of the Saints offense and 67% of the Saints defense was aquired through free agency.

In 2009, both the Falcons offense and defense were only 36% free agent. (This includes TG who acquired via trade.)

So, no that is not the only difference.

I don't quite see how you arrived at these numbers. Can't be starters as only 3/11 on O were free agents...5/11 on D.

I see a mix of FAs, trades, and young picks/UDFAs on both squads.

I don't quite see how you arrived at these numbers. Can't be starters as only 3/11 on O were free agents...5/11 on D.

I see a mix of FAs, trades, and young picks/UDFAs on both squads.

I was off by 1 on offense. Brees, Evans,Shockey, Goodwin, and D. Thomas.

On D, I was off by 1 as well. Ayodele,Hargrove, Fujita, Vilma, Shanle, Greer, Gay, and Sharper.

That is actually 8.

I was off by 1 on offense. Brees, Evans,Shockey, Goodwin, and D. Thomas.

On D, I was off by 1 as well. Ayodele,Hargrove, Fujita, Vilma, Shanle, Greer, Gay, and Sharper.

That is actually 8.

Shockey was a trade. Thomas is a backup TE. That's 3/11 free agents on O in '09 for this lotto or 27%.

Hargrove is a backup, Ellis is the starter. Same for Gay, Porter is the starter. Vilma was a trade. That's 5/11 free agents on D or 45%.

In 2009, 54% of the Saints offense and 67% of the Saints defense was aquired through free agency.

In 2009, both the Falcons offense and defense were only 36% free agent. (This includes TG who acquired via trade.)

Here's another stat for you to digest....

In 2009, the Saints went 16-3 and won the Super Bowl.

In 2009, the Falcons went 9-7 and failed to qualify for the post-season.

.....seriously, is this stat that the Atlanta may have drafted more players than New Orleans on the 2009 squad even remotely relevant to anything at all....?

What's next, overall team weight comparisions?

Their reign won't last long that team has little depth or youth.

Please do your research before spouting off BS. Both teams are within 2 months of each other in average age. I did this comparision earlier this year in TAFT. The Falcons were the younger team.

Could be wrong but don't teams build through free agency and draft?

Don't attempt to be logical here please. These guys will miss your point.

I mean signing Daunte Robinson completely ruined the integrity of the Falcons based on some of the arguements being posted in this thread.

:wacko:

Could be wrong but don't teams build through free agency and draft?

Also yeh we didn't have many picks in the draft, but we have udfa and we have signed a few of those. One injury to anyones qb and they are finished for the yr.

Some teams are more QB backup challenged than others. That is not an equal opportunity thing. Some teams just take their chances and hope their guy doesn't go down. The saints are in that category more than the Falcons are...

Some teams are more QB backup challenged than others. That is not an equal opportunity thing. Some teams just take their chances and hope their guy doesn't go down. The saints are in that category more than the Falcons are...

I'm looking forward to seeing Ramsey try to run Payton's O this preseason as I didn't see him play as a starter. Last night he looked like an upgrade over Brunell's arm/legs. What's your take on him as far as #2 QB material having seen him with Washington?

After seeing Ramsey play last night, the guy has potential and with Payton coaching him up inthinknhes a quality backup for brees.

Believe me I don't want him to play the whole season or anything jut that i think we found a nice backup.

YOUVE GOT TO REMEMBER REDMAN ALMOST BEAT THE SAINTS AND IM SURE ALMOST WON THE OTHER GAME HE LOST.

Yeah but at the end of the day he was 0-2. Cmon vanilla you kno what I mean. If romo went down do you think kitna could step in and the boys would be the same team. Redman is not matt ryan and over the course of the season could not get the job done.

I'm looking forward to seeing Ramsey try to run Payton's O this preseason as I didn't see him play as a starter. Last night he looked like an upgrade over Brunell's arm/legs. What's your take on him as far as #2 QB material having seen him with Washington?

Truthfully, we picked up Ramsey in the draft to be an eventual starter, but he was horrible. Unless some miracle happens later in his career like a Gannon type thing (or even Redman for that matter) I'd say your still in trouble as far as backup goes.

Truthfully, we picked up Ramsey in the draft to be an eventual starter, but he was horrible. Unless some miracle happens later in his career like a Gannon type thing (or even Redman for that matter) I'd say your still in trouble as far as backup goes.

Well, he looked the part at least: mobile, quick release, good zip on the ball (although his delivery looked a bit funky). So you think it's more the mental part of the game for him?

Well, he looked the part at least: mobile, quick release, good zip on the ball (although his delivery looked a bit funky). So you think it's more the mental part of the game for him?

A lot of QBs have the physical tools, but it doesn't always translate into on the field play. That has been Ramsey's MO so far...maybe he is a late bloomer who knows?