The new truths of the NFC South...

ThunderCookie

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And very much UNLIKE the Saints, the Falcons posted back to back winning seasons. So using the Saints as a measuring stick, you have no right to say anything until January 2012.

Dude, you have NO credibility using this overblown back to back winning season thing as evidence of superiority against any other team, much less the Saints.

Let's reflect for a moment. It took Atlanta 45 years to accomplish back to back winning seasons. New Orleans accomplished that meaningless statistic back in 87-89, going 12-3, 10-6 and 9-7. Further, they did it again in 91-92, going 11-5 and 12-4. During the years of 87-93, they never experienced a losing season.

And please don't make me point out that winning last years Super Bowl trumps your ridiculous claims that the Falcons are suddenly better than the Saints.

Of course, I'm gonna push the Saints, that's what a fan does. But at some point you have to take off the team colored glasses and look at it from reality. We had quality starters, but little to no depth. We had solid coaching, but not GREAT coaching.

Place the records to the side, and look at it this way. The Falcons were coming off a 11-5 playoff season and were expected to contend for a title, just like the 07 Saints. Instead they fall flat on their face and dont even get a wildcard. You can have your "back to back" winning seasons, but in the end that got the Falcons nowhere except a front row spot on the sofa for the playoffs.

The Falcons, much like the Saints, just aren't yet talented enough to contend. It took the Saints upgrading a number of coaches (OL, RB, DL, DC, OC), and adding loads of new talent (Greer, Sharper, Hargrove, Jenkins, Heath Evans, Bell, Morstead, David Thomas) maybe above all else, it took the Saints young talent time to develop into Super Bowl caliber players (Pierre Thomas, Bush, Henderson, Moore, Meachem, Bushrod, Evans, Goodwin, Nicks, Ellis, Ayodele, Porter, Harper), and of course a few back from injury (Colston, Shockey, Will Smith, Porter) to become Super Bowl contenders. I haven't seen the Falcons upgrade coaching, I haven't seen them add loads of new talent, and I don't see enough players developing into Super Bowl players.

Bring the hate, but that's the truth. The Falcons didn't miss the playoffs because of injuries, they missed it because they weren't a playoff team.

I might disagree with you on the whole flat on the face thing. All things considered, I was amazed we did that well. When Brees has a nagging injury and misses three games, then we can discuss the importance of quarterback health.

Second, at no point have I ever said the Falcons were a Super Bowl team. Why? Because they are not. And at this point, they are not supposed to be. TD and Smitty had a long term plan. And grasping at straws for a Super Bowl was not part of the process. It was designed to build a team that could eventually break the back to back curse and provide a proven winner year after year. Part of that has already been accomplished.

You know how much I respect your offense and your coaches. But you have also gotten very lucky... Now unpucker your pooper, this has nothing to do with refs, schedules, or anything like that. The Saints have taken some chances on some free agents, and more than not they have worked out. While some Saint fans are researching my old posts, how about dig up the one where I said the Saints were getting a steal and probably the best qb in the South before Brees ever stepped on the field in a Saints uni? And don't try to sell me that anyone knew Mr. Irrelevant was going to be one of the best wr's in the league. If anyone knew he would be half as good as he is, they would not have gambled all the way to the last pick.

The Falcons are being built along the lines of the Steelers and Patriots, but we had to start from scratch. The Saints were obviously the better team last year. They might be the better team this year. But how long will free agent lotto sustain them? Didn't work in '07 or '08.

It might all be a matter of perspective, but as a season ticket holder, I would rather win more than we lost over the next ten years than become like a sad old Cowboys fan talking about how we won the Lombardi a lifetime ago. May be just me.

The Falcons are being built along the lines of the Steelers and Patriots, but we had to start from scratch. The Saints were obviously the better team last year. They might be the better team this year. But how long will free agent lotto sustain them? Didn't work in '07 or '08.

It might all be a matter of perspective, but as a season ticket holder, I would rather win more than we lost over the next ten years than become like a sad old Cowboys fan talking about how we won the Lombardi a lifetime ago. May be just me.

Note: Nearly every NFL team is building for the future. Difference is some are working it out and advancing post season dreams, and others are, well, just hoping to be the next Patriots or Steelers. All you have to do is judge where your team stacks up lately and you'll have your answer.

I can't believe you actually picked on the success the Cowboys have achieved over their last 30 years......not to mention they were in the playoffs last season as well. :wacko:

Another classic fan delivered by a Falcon fan...laugh.gif

Anyone want the truth? The Falcons overachieved in 08, and came back down to earth in 09. Much like the Saints in 07, they weren't as good as they believed. Much like the Saints in 08, they haven't made very many moves to greatly improve the team.

OVERACHIEVED? THATS CLASSIC. WHY ARE YOU THE ONLY HOLDER OF THE TRUTH NOLA??

DON'T ANSWER THAT QUESTION. I DON'T THINK I REALLY WANT TO KNOW. BUT I KEEP

TELLING YOU GUYS THIS ONE THING: "THE TRUTH? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH." IF

THE SAINTS FLOUNDER THIS YEAR, WILL IT BE BECAUSE THEY OVERACHIEVED IN 2009?

GIVE US SOME OF THAT TRUTH!

Note: Nearly every NFL team is building for the future. Difference is some are working it out and advancing post season dreams, and others are, well, just hoping to be the next Patriots or Steelers. All you have to do is judge where your team stacks up lately and you'll have your answer.

I can't believe you actually picked on the success the Cowboys have achieved over their last 30 years......not to mention they were in the playoffs last season as well. :wacko:

Note: If you do not understand the Patriot and Steeler reference... Well as Dennis Green would say, "You are who we thought you are." And while every team says they are building for the future, that is very far from true. The fact you can not differentiate between strategies speaks volumes about your football intellect.

Define lately. You obvious have no sense of history... Which makes you a Saints fan.

As far as the old Cowboys fan, I was actually referring to a specific Cowboys fan. And to someone with higher than a fifth grade reading level, it would actually be a funny story. But beyond that, my short sighted, small minded, little tard... Take a look at the decade before that. Look at the teams that had won multiple times in the post season. And how many times had the Cowboys? Cowboys bragging about past Super Bowls is the equivalent of a grown man bragging about getting laid in high school.

But I would like to thank you. There were too many reasonable discussions going on, and I almost forgot how the general Saints fan base was.

Note: If you do not understand the Patriot and Steeler reference... Well as Dennis Green would say, "You are who we thought you are." And while every team says they are building for the future, that is very far from true. The fact you can not differentiate between strategies speaks volumes about your football intellect.

Define lately. You obvious have no sense of history... Which makes you a Saints fan.

As far as the old Cowboys fan, I was actually referring to a specific Cowboys fan. And to someone with higher than a fifth grade reading level, it would actually be a funny story. But beyond that, my short sighted, small minded, little tard... Take a look at the decade before that. Look at the teams that had won multiple times in the post season. And how many times had the Cowboys? Cowboys bragging about past Super Bowls is the equivalent of a grown man bragging about getting laid in high school.

But I would like to thank you. There were too many reasonable discussions going on, and I almost forgot how the general Saints fan base was.

That I agree you are building for the future, but half the people you are bringing in are already hurt, with some being serious injuries. Seems to me that the falcons lack depth, depth that the saints have. You can bring in all the drafted people you want, doesn't make them super stars if they can't even stay healthy to see the field.

Seeing my team win three super bowls a lifetime ago is still better than singing the praises of my teams first back to back winning seasons in their history. And if you ask me the falcons are a second tier NFC team behind NO Minnesota and Dallas

Good God, toughen up Vanilla. I was actually referencing a specific Cowboys fan who sat in my section for years.

I understand what you mean about rather having a "return to greatness" rather than having to start from scratch. But there again, you have had the luxury of a privileged history. And I am trusting that you know enough about your teams history to know what I mean and not take that as an insult.

The Falcons have a history that has been borderline Dickens-like. More often than not, spearheaded by the Smiths. We are turning the corner. Are we a second tier team? Maybe, maybe not.

And yes, on paper I would put those three teams ahead of us... And probably a couple of more. But where other teams are today doesn't change where the Falcons are headed.

Come on, the Saints aren't playing "free agent lotto". They're far from major players in free agency and have a large number of major contributors acquired straight from the college ranks.

Is it that your QB was drafted and our's was not that makes this obvious difference?

That I agree you are building for the future, but half the people you are bringing in are already hurt, with some being serious injuries. Seems to me that the falcons lack depth, depth that the saints have. You can bring in all the drafted people you want, doesn't make them super stars if they can't even stay healthy to see the field.

Let me get this straight right now. The injuries that you may be referring to are very minor. Also, Our main offensive and defensive players are healthy. The injuries that we do have our very minor and may last a week or two. The worst injury that we have is Micheal Jenkins for 4-6 weeks. He should be ready for the regular season. Besides we have nice depth at receiver. We also have Where are you getting this information from?

Let me get this straight right now. The injuries that you may be referring to are very minor. Also, Our main offensive and defensive players are healthy. The injuries that we do have our very minor and may last a week or two. The worst injury that we have is Micheal Jenkins for 4-6 weeks. He should be ready for the regular season. Besides we have nice depth at receiver. We also have Where are you getting this information from?

Actually I was talking about William Moore, Peria Jerry, Dunta having some linger problems. Not saying they are injured now, but they suffered from serious injuries.

Not sure if anyone was trembling when they thought of facing that receiving corps when Jenkins was healthy. Now without him I'm sure they're that much more terrified.

We don't need them to, we have to elite receiving options accompanied by Micheal Turner and 2 other productive running backs. All players in the nfl have to make a name for themselves. Harry Douglas is my favorite for the #2 wr, but him and Meirer may surprise us all. Who expected Colston to become an elite wr?

OVERACHIEVED? THATS CLASSIC. WHY ARE YOU THE ONLY HOLDER OF THE TRUTH NOLA??

DON'T ANSWER THAT QUESTION. I DON'T THINK I REALLY WANT TO KNOW. BUT I KEEP

TELLING YOU GUYS THIS ONE THING: "THE TRUTH? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH." IF

THE SAINTS FLOUNDER THIS YEAR, WILL IT BE BECAUSE THEY OVERACHIEVED IN 2009?

GIVE US SOME OF THAT TRUTH!

Sorry to say this REV, but if you don't think the Falcons overachieved in 08 your a fool.

Must I bring up the epic "Carter says Falcons offense most feared in the NFC" platinum thread of last summer too? :lol::lol:

Your name says it all the birds are about two blow up! And yes people have to make their name somehow and yeah the falcons have alot of unproven players but I will say the odds are stacked against most of them. Just like all other unprovens around the league.

Name one team that has 2 o3 3 probowl receivers. Most teams have one if any. We do not need that to have a solid passing attack. We have our probowl receiver and 2 others wr's who do the job that their supposed to do. Btw, Jenkins stats are comparable to most #2's in the league. Harry should have at least 400-500 yards. 3 solid receivers along with a potent rushing game, a passing catching TE, and a rb that can make plays in the passing game is what we know we have(which is pretty good). Anything else would be icing on the cake. Our Defense this year will make us way better team than last year(they have the talent and playmakers to be a top 12-15 defense).

Edited by Falconsfuturedynasty

Cowboys bragging about past Super Bowls is the equivalent of a grown man bragging about getting laid in high school.

Now this is seriously funny.... :lol:

Falcon fans continue to brag at having the series lead, which ironically was accomplished back "when a grown man was getting laid in high school."

Over the last decade, when a grown man outgrew his high school years, the Saints have owned the series 13-7.

And no need to thank me....Thank you! ;)

Edited by SaintRay

Sorry to say this REV, but if you don't think the Falcons overachieved in 08 your a fool.

THEN I'M A FOOL THEN ..... I BEEN CALLED WORST. NOLA, YOU

KNOW ME, AND YOU KNOW I AIN'T THIN SKINNED. OVERACHIEVED IS

A WORD THAT "SOME" PEOPLE USE WHEN THEY PREFER NOT TO GIVE

SOMEONE OR SOMETHING CREDIT. IF THE SAINTS FLOUNDER THIS

YEAR, WILL I SAY THEY OVERACHIEVED IN 09' ....

NO I WILL NOT.

BECAUSE IN 09' THE SAINTS WERE READY. IF

THEY AIN'T READY THIS YEAR ... IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH

LAST YEAR. AND IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE THIS MY FRIEND NOLA ..

THEN YOU ARE A FOOL, ALONG WITH ME. :D

Falcon fans continue to brag at having the series lead, which ironically was accomplished back "when a grown man was getting laid in high school."

Over the last decade, when a grown man outgrew his high school years, the Saints have owned the series 13-7.

I think REV2 and I were long out of HS and college way before that started. We have beat you guys like a drum throught the years and we love it! :D

I think REV2 and I were long out of HS and college way before that started. We have beat you guys like a drum throught the years and we love it! :D

Hailrazor wasn't discussing old, spent gas ... he made reference to young farts fresh out of high school this decade.

Really? Find one post where I brought that up. Or can you not address my post directly?

Further proving my point.

Come on, the Saints aren't playing "free agent lotto". They're far from major players in free agency and have a large number of major contributors acquired straight from the college ranks.

Is it that your QB was drafted and our's was not that makes this obvious difference?

In 2009, 54% of the Saints offense and 67% of the Saints defense was aquired through free agency.

In 2009, both the Falcons offense and defense were only 36% free agent. (This includes TG who acquired via trade.)

So, no that is not the only difference.

In 2009, 54% of the Saints offense and 67% of the Saints defense was aquired through free agency.

In 2009, both the Falcons offense and defense were only 36% free agent. (This includes TG who acquired via trade.)

So, no that is not the only difference.

I have never actually posted/read anything in here but this thread intrigued me because of these stats. I knew the Saints basically bought that team over time (the reason why they only had 4 picks the year before they went to the Super Bowl) but 54% and 67% is ridiculous. Even in 08 they only had 6 picks but only 2 were in the first 4 rounds. Their reign won't last long that team has little depth or youth. One injury to Brees (even though I'm not wishing for it TBH) and the team will collapse.