The new truths of the NFC South...

ThunderCookie

What a year for the NFC South! We had a miracle team, we finally got to see what Fox could do with the right talent, we had an epic collapse, and we got see Peyton turn into Mora Jr. . Pretty exciting stuff.

But what does the future hold? Does this change the way anyone views our division?

I have given some thought to what most likely will become of the South over the next four years. I think for the most part it will become a two team division between the Panthers and Falcons. Both teams are building the right the way. Carolina has a head start as their defense was good from the get go and drafted well. The Falcons started fresh this year, but have gained ground.

Both teams are building around a system instead of building around players. Players get injured, but a system is constant. Hardcore running games and improving defenses will put both teams in every game they play. I expect the rivalry's hatred increasing and the debate dumbing down to reach new heights.

But what does the future hold for the Saints and Bucs? How do you see the division developing over the next few years.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a year for the NFC South! We had a miracle team, we finally got to see what Fox could do with the right talent, we had an epic collapse, and we got see Peyton turn into Mora Jr. . Pretty exciting stuff.

But what does the future hold? Does this change the way anyone views our division?

I have given some thought to what most likely will become of the South over the next four years. I think for the most part it will become a two team division between the Panthers and Falcons. Both teams are building the right the way. Carolina has a head start as their defense was good from the get go and drafted well. The Falcons started fresh this year, but have gained ground.

Both teams are building around a system instead of building around players. Players get injured, but a system is constant. Hardcore running games and improving defenses will put both teams in every game they play. I expect the rivalry's hatred increasing and the debate dumbing down to reach new heights.

But what does the future hold for the Saints and Bucs? How do you see the division developing over the next few years.

I think the two teams with the brightest futures are the Falcons and the Panthers, that's pretty obvious. TD did a good job in the draft and you will see him concentrate on defense this upcoming draft and probably some key FAs acquistitions (Haynesworth or Asomugha) like New England always did. The Panthers have the players but Delhommey is not the long term answer there. Fox has a way of underachieving so they're hard to predict, they're not the paper chumpions for nothing?

The Saints are, well they are the Saints! Payton is not the long term answer he has taken a surprise team in 06' and and gone backwards since going 25-23 in his three seasons. Sort of like Jim Mora except Mora was 26-22, Payton has grown more pass happy evidence Brees numbers and just doesn't seem to get the fact that the Saints need to balance out the offense. Evidenced by the fact that Brees threw the ball 37 times more than even Kurt Warner. Brees had 635 attempts which was 201 times more than Matt Ryan...I think that speaks volumes about the Saints philosophy? I see the Saints going after a RB in the first run maybe more of a Turner type so they can pound the rock and cut down Brees attempts by atleast 100, if they don't it will be another disastrous season! Of course defense is a major issue as well I'm not even sure how they want to approach that? Obvious their redzone defense is very poor because they give up the big plays when teams get inside the 20.

The buccies are on a real downslide. Gruden should be in jeopardy along with Allen. They do not have a serious contender for the QB slot, and Gruden on a press conference yesterday admitted he's not willing to develop one (ego here), he said Simms was his last QB project that they thought they had a shot with. Does that leave them in a journeyman FA mode again? The running game is in a sad state talent and injury wise. Maybe Graham comes back healthy and can produce but they need a stud backup. Kiffin is a major blow as evidenced by their last 4 games after his annoucement, Imagine the buccies without defense? We are talking a cellar dwellar for sure. Chins up buccie fans, hope for the firing of chuckie Gruden!

the saints were 18 points from being 14-2 this season. learn how to finish, that is all you have to do.

get a couple new faces on defense, and learn how to finish.

FIVE losses by 3 or less points...ONE loss by 5 points.

just learn how to finish, i know yall hate the saints, but wake up. the saints are a good football team, they just need to revamp a few things.

the saints were 18 points from being 14-2 this season. learn how to finish, that is all you have to do.

get a couple new faces on defense, and learn how to finish.

FIVE losses by 3 or less points...ONE loss by 5 points.

just learn how to finish, i know yall hate the saints, but wake up. the saints are a good football team, they just need to revamp a few things.

Here we go again, 14-2, a good football team? You are a tool! :P I gave the Saints the formula for winning and so has every team that has beat the Saints...Keep throwing the ball 40 times a game maybe he'll break the record next year as you go 7-9! :lol:

Here we go again, 14-2, a good football team? You are a tool! :P I gave the Saints the formula for winning and so has every team that has beat the Saints...Keep throwing the ball 40 times a game maybe he'll break the record next year as you go 7-9! :lol:

wfw, get past your hatred for the saints and look for the reality.

the saints finished 8-8 this season...6 of those losses came by 5 or less points. now let me make this as clear as i possibly can for you.

week2- 24-29, 5 point loss

week3- 32-34, 2 point loss

week5- 27-30, 3 point loss

week13- 20-23, 3 point loss

week15- 24-27, 3 point loss

week17- 31-33, 2 point loss

next:

5+2+3+3+3+2=18

the saints were less than 3 td's from being 14-2 this season, what does that tell you? shouldn't be that hard to answer this question, it's common sense.

The buccies are on a real downslide. Gruden should be in jeopardy along with Allen. They do not have a serious contender for the QB slot, and Gruden on a press conference yesterday admitted he's not willing to develop one (ego here), he said Simms was his last QB project that they thought they had a shot with. Does that leave them in a journeyman FA mode again? The running game is in a sad state talent and injury wise. Maybe Graham comes back healthy and can produce but they need a stud backup. Kiffin is a major blow as evidenced by their last 4 games after his annoucement, Imagine the buccies without defense? We are talking a cellar dwellar for sure. Chins up buccie fans, hope for the firing of chuckie Gruden!

**** old man that may be your finest post ever :lol:

I think this is the first time I have no idea what the bucs are doing, I think the Glazers are money tight and will not fire the Guru and pay him out his contract. Next year if he doesn't make at least the NFCC game he will be gone.

17 players on IR and several close losses

the saints need a new free safety, possibly a new CB (depending on McKenzie), possibly a new LB (depending on Dubar's development), a stud DT to go with Ellis, and possibly a new right tackle on offense

overall, I would rank free safety and stud DT as the priorities

the saints finished 8-8 this season...6 of those losses came by 5 or less points. now let me make this as clear as i possibly can for you.

next:

5+2+3+3+3+2=18

the saints were less than 3 td's from being 14-2 this season, what does that tell you? shouldn't be that hard to answer this question, it's common sense.

And the Eagles are 14 points from 13-3

The Falcons are 8 points from 13-3

The Redskins are 16 points from 12-4

You are what your record says you are

next:

5+2+3+3+3+2=18

and the saints are less then 3 tds away form being 5-11..............

thats the nfl....good teams win close games............... the saints are not a good team.......you have no real running game,and your defense is terrible..........................which is a product of have such a lopsided offense.

and the saints are less then 3 tds away form being 5-11..............

thats the nfl....good teams win close games............... the saints are not a good team.......you have no real running game,and your defense is terrible..........................which is a product of have such a lopsided offense.

the saints need to learn how to close out games, plain and simple.

the saints beat themselves this year more than another team beating them, you can't sit here and say the saints aren't a real threat. your just coming off stupid if you do.

the saints need to learn how to close out games, plain and simple.

the saints beat themselves this year more than another team beating them, you can't sit here and say the saints aren't a real threat. your just coming off stupid if you do.

lets see we are in the playoffs.....you are not

we have a balanced offense.....you do not

we have a defense that actually stop people from scoring..you do not

We have a coaching staff that actually coaches...you do not ( and if you say you do, then you contradict yourself......... COACHING keeps teams from beating themselves.)

so no the saints are not really all that big of a threat........ yes you beat us the last game we played but by using your own logic we beat ourselves.......... the saints did not do a whole lot to beat us.

the saints would be a threat with a running game, new coaching staff, and better defense........until you get all 3 of those enjoy last place because those are 3 things the other teams in the division save tampa have and they are the tried and true method of winning in the nfl.

I think the aints are still a threat because IMO, if the saints Try running first to set up the pass, they would have been in the playoffs. Fortunately for us they have Sean Payton. They can be a dangerous team on offense, but until they start running it a lot I don't see them being much more than a 8-8 team. The biggest difference between the paytons first year as a coach and last couple of years is the running game.

Truth = Saints are the only team in the division this season to lose to a division opponent at home...they made a good comeback, but choked in the end.

Truth = Tampa's D looked very, very wrong starting with the CAR game....and now looks to take it's biggest hit in the offseason with Kiffin leavin.

Truth = Saints defense needs like 11 draft picks, if not to just ensure it has some players to go around if the IR bug hits again.

Truth = Ellis was the best rookie DT this season in the NFL.

Truth = Carolina's dominant running game came on like gangbusters at the end didn't it? Delhomme still looks mediocre back there, but at least he was finding Smith and Muhammad often...look for Carolina to keep teams off balance in the playoffs with that little combo. Hint for Steve Smith...have our 6th DB pick a fight with him, shouldn't be splitting the atom for that to happen. Its better to use a 6th DB early for this assignment, as Smith might get in a fight later with someone useful like Milloy or Abraham on the basis that "they got a nosejob".

Truth = John Abraham is the best defensive end in football

Truth = Michael Turner, Norwood, Roddy, and Ryan will burn up Arizona....but our secondary(ATL) better bring some portable oxygen because they will be running around all day.

And last but not least Truth = Reginald Bush is overpaid

anyone who doesnt see the saints as real contenders next year is silly, a few made fieldgoals, a key stop here or there and we have 3 10+winning teams in our division. the saints will be a force to be reckoned with next year, they had alot of injuries this year and still finished at .500 to count them out of the division next year is silly. The saints are my least favorite team in the division, mainly because the saints and falcons are like a sibling rivalry, if the NFL was a family the saints and falcons would be like hated step brothers to each other. Ever see the movie Step brothers? thats the saints and falcons.

but i think this is a 3 team race for the future you cant count the saints out of it.

anyone who doesnt see the saints as real contenders next year is silly, a few made fieldgoals, a key stop here or there and we have 3 10+winning teams in our division. the saints will be a force to be reckoned with next year, they had alot of injuries this year and still finished at .500 to count them out of the division next year is silly. The saints are my least favorite team in the division, mainly because the saints and falcons are like a sibling rivalry, if the NFL was a family the saints and falcons would be like hated step brothers to each other. Ever see the movie Step brothers? thats the saints and falcons.

but i think this is a 3 team race for the future you cant count the saints out of it.

mgs4t, I think nola's posts are getting to you man...don't drink the kool-aid? There are reasons teams lose consistently by 3 or 4 points and think their godd? It is because their not (what was there 7-9 excuse last year)? nola, said it himself, they can't close out games. Translation they can't run the ball in crucial parts of the game, they have no 4 to 5 minute close out offense. They need to change coaches or philosophy. Throwing 40 times a game is great for almost getting a meaningless passing record but, it is not a consistent formula for getting in the playoffs as witnessed by the Saints one playoff appearence in three seasons under Payton. What did Marino win all those years he threw for all those years? NOTHING! Don Shula said years later "I should've gotten Marino a running game and we might have won a couple of super bowls" that's straight from the horses mouth. Look at Kurt Warner now, a lot of passing yards and unbalanced team and what have they won since he's been there? NOTHING!

Bottom line the Saints need to draft, trade for, or pick up a true number one RB and establish a running game or they will never win anything. No one has to listen to me, just check the history of teams that play like the Saints, all passing, no running game, and a subpar defense...that spells average to mediocre team! ;)

mgs4t, I think nola's posts are getting to you man...don't drink the kool-aid? There are reasons teams lose consistently by 3 or 4 points and think their godd? It is because their not (what was there 7-9 excuse last year)? nola, said it himself, they can't close out games. Translation they can't run the ball in crucial parts of the game, they have no 4 to 5 minute close out offense. They need to change coaches or philosophy. Throwing 40 times a game is great for almost getting a meaningless passing record but, it is not a consistent formula for getting in the playoffs as witnessed by the Saints one playoff appearence in three seasons under Payton. What did Marino win all those years he threw for all those years? NOTHING! Don Shula said years later "I should've gotten Marino a running game and we might have won a couple of super bowls" that's straight from the horses mouth. Look at Kurt Warner now, a lot of passing yards and unbalanced team and what have they won since he's been there? NOTHING!

Bottom line the Saints need to draft, trade for, or pick up a true number one RB and establish a running game or they will never win anything. No one has to listen to me, just check the history of teams that play like the Saints, all passing, no running game, and a subpar defense...that spells average to mediocre team! ;)

well i agree but what if the saints change coaches? what if payton hands over play calling duties to a SANE oc? what if reggie bush runs for 1600 yards :lol: no seriously with a qb like brees you cant count them out, it may be unlikely but you cant count them out.

well i agree but what if the saints change coaches? what if payton hands over play calling duties to a SANE oc? what if reggie bush runs for 1600 yards :lol: no seriously with a qb like brees you cant count them out, it may be unlikely but you cant count them out.

If they get the RB, change OCs, fire Payton, then I agree maybe? If they stay status quo then we'll be talking in 10 years about all Brees yardage and how he never won anything like Marino! They can keep their empty records I want a real team like we have and a SB! ;)

Rod Marenelli said you are what your record says...did you hear that nola? :lol:

if you had a brain you would put together that 8-8 is a average football team, why are the saints a average football team? because they can't close games....

they close out three of the 6 and they're in the playoffs.

the saints are close, payton finally got through his head that you need balance, we have that now...upgrade fs, olb, de, and MAYBE cb on defense and the saints are a contender. and really the only position that is a major need is safety.

if you had a brain you would put together that 8-8 is a average football team, why are the saints a average football team? because they can't close games....

they close out three of the 6 and they're in the playoffs.

the saints are close, payton finally got through his head that you need balance, we have that now...upgrade fs, olb, de, and MAYBE cb on defense and the saints are a contender. and really the only position that is a major need is safety.

We know! I've already explained the fix to you and Payton and anyone who'll listen. A hint: You can't throw 40 times a game and go for a meaningless passing record had have balance...boy, that was easy! :lol: