Sean Weatherspoon

Norwood32

He's gotta be our 2nd round pick. Right now i would be happy with taking him with our first rounder.

One of the problems with us is that we judge guys through one or two games and not a whole season. I do not think we should take him with our 1st, but I would take him with the 2nd.

One of the problems with us is that we judge guys through one or two games and not a whole season. I do not think we should take him with our 1st, but I would take him with the 2nd.

Judging by his stats and what I've heard from other people, he's been this good the whole season.

Judging by his stats and what I've heard from other people, he's been this good the whole season.

I really do not like Stats in college. They can be inflated by inferior competition and systems. I do like his speed, pursuit, and passion. That is what I am looking for. I want him to make plays, but ANYBODY can make plays in college. Its all about how his game fits into the NFL. I wouldn't mind taking him

I really do not like Stats in college. They can be inflated by inferior competition and systems. I do like his speed, pursuit, and passion. That is what I am looking for. I want him to make plays, but ANYBODY can make plays in college. Its all about how his game fits into the NFL. I wouldn't mind taking him

lol you can say that about anybody.

Not worried about his stats, but seeing him play several times, he has been that good. If he doesn't go in the 1st (which I think he will after all the combine, pro days, and other stuff) then he'll be one of the top 5 picks in the 2nd. This is why I had us taking him in the 1st with my mock on Christmas day.

Not worried about his stats, but seeing him play several times, he has been that good. If he doesn't go in the 1st (which I think he will after all the combine, pro days, and other stuff) then he'll be one of the top 5 picks in the 2nd. This is why I had us taking him in the 1st with my mock on Christmas day.

I still would rather go after Karlos Danby in Free Agency and use our 1st round pick on Raji.

I still would rather go after Karlos Danby in Free Agency and use our 1st round pick on Raji.

If I believed Raji were going to be a good pro & the odds of signing Dansby were in our favor I'd agree. At least with Dansby we would pretty well know what we are getting, which with Weatherspoon (or any rookie) we really don't know. So going that route does have some value.

If I believed Raji were going to be a good pro & the odds of signing Dansby were in our favor I'd agree. At least with Dansby we would pretty well know what we are getting, which with Weatherspoon (or any rookie) we really don't know. So going that route does have some value.

and I like that route a little better because we fill 2 holes. I do not think that we will make a move on either big name DT. Haynesworth will be too much money and Tank Johnson might be trouble.

I just have a feeling that Raji is going to make a GREAT pro. I was EXTREMELY impressed with weatherspoon tonight, but we need to add a little experience to our LBing unit.

and I like that route a little better because we fill 2 holes. I do not think that we will make a move on either big name DT. Haynesworth will be too much money and Tank Johnson might be trouble.

I just have a feeling that Raji is going to make a GREAT pro. I was EXTREMELY impressed with weatherspoon tonight, but we need to add a little experience to our LBing unit.

Agree with ya on not going after both those DT's & for those reasons.

i like weatherspoon. i watched him against oklahoma and kansas and he looks perfect for us. i would start him from day 1 at WLB if we get dansby and if not he could be SLB in a season say. i think hes best suited to go around the start middle of round 2. personally i would like to seeus trade out of the first ith a team who has an ear;ly pick for their 2nd and 3rd which would put usin perfect position to get weatherspoon.

Robb, it seems like it's just the 2 of us thinking that Raji (and the whole DT class) will go about 1 round earlier than they should.

I'm impressed with Weatherspoon and I agree that he'll go in the early/mid 2nd the latest ... maybe TD picks up my trade scenario (our 1st and 5t for a early 2nd and a 2nd in 2010), that way we could get him as a value pick.

Robb, it seems like it's just the 2 of us thinking that Raji (and the whole DT class) will go about 1 round earlier than they should.

I'm impressed with Weatherspoon and I agree that he'll go in the early/mid 2nd the latest ... maybe TD picks up my trade scenario (our 1st and 5t for a early 2nd and a 2nd in 2010), that way we could get him as a value pick.

At least I'm not out there all by myself. There are a couple of guys who could declare & make this a better class.

I don't like that Trade. We lose our two Draft picks for one. I would love to trade and pick up 2 extra 2nd rounders, That way we would have 3 2nds and we could fill a lot of needs, but I want to take the Best DT imo with our first. It won't be a lot of value left in the 2nd when it comes to DT's this year, with Raji and Jerry moving up on Draft boards. That is the position that we need most. I would love Weatherspoon, but Danby seems like the better option for us imo. If we could find a way to get them both, like trading up into the early 2nd round, I would be ecstatic.

I don't like that Trade. We lose our two Draft picks for one. I would love to trade and pick up 2 extra 2nd rounders, That way we would have 3 2nds and we could fill a lot of needs, but I want to take the Best DT imo with our first. It won't be a lot of value left in the 2nd when it comes to DT's this year, with Raji and Jerry moving up on Draft boards. That is the position that we need most. I would love Weatherspoon, but Danby seems like the better option for us imo. If we could find a way to get them both, like trading up into the early 2nd round, I would be ecstatic.

Right now, there's no team with 2 2nd round picks where one of them is early enough to pick one of the good OLBs. (Teams with 2 2nds: Miami from Washington, New England from San Diego and Giants from New Orleans) So the scenario where we pick up 2 2nd round picks this season is highly unlikely.

I'm just rechecking the value chart ... our pick has a value of 720, of if we initiate the trade, we'd likely get something in the value-range of 650, if somebody comes to us, we might get something in the range of 775.

That brings up following scenarios:

We initiate the trade: our 1st and 5t for (early/mid) 2nd in 09 and 2nd in 2010

They initiate the trade: our 1st and 5t for (early)2nd, 4t in 09 and 2nd in 2010

If somebody comes to us and offers us that package of picks, we'd be stupid not to take it ... we could pick up somebody like Weatherspoon (who was taken in round 1 in Robb's Mock) and add some firepower for next years draft.

To me in a draft there are always some "elite" picks (usually between 5 and 15), after that there's a big group of players without much dropoff between each other, so if you pick 20 or 35 doesn't make much difference when it comes to talent. If you pick in that range and you get the chance to add picks (even future picks), you have to take it ... the only thing you can't do when you think like me, you can't fall in love with one single player (or one position), usually GMs that do that, don't last long.

Right now, there's no team with 2 2nd round picks where one of them is early enough to pick one of the good OLBs. (Teams with 2 2nds: Miami from Washington, New England from San Diego and Giants from New Orleans) So the scenario where we pick up 2 2nd round picks this season is highly unlikely.

I'm just rechecking the value chart ... our pick has a value of 720, of if we initiate the trade, we'd likely get something in the value-range of 650, if somebody comes to us, we might get something in the range of 775.

They initiate the trade: our 1st and 5t for (early)2nd, 4t in 09 and 2nd in 2010

If somebody comes to us and offers us that package of picks, we'd be stupid not to take it ... we could pick up somebody like Weatherspoon (who was taken in round 1 in Robb's Mock) and add some firepower for next years draft.

To me in a draft there are always some "elite" picks (usually between 5 and 15), after that there's a big group of players without much dropoff between each other, so if you pick 20 or 35 doesn't make much difference when it comes to talent. If you pick in that range and you get the chance to add picks (even future picks), you have to take it ... the only thing you can't do when you think like me, you can't fall in love with one single player (or one position), usually GMs that do that, don't last long.

I didn't know you had a 4th in there. That makes it a little better. I'm not Falling in love with Raji or Jerry, but I feel like they are the only two DT's in this draft who can start form Day one.

i think our 1st and 5th for the giants 2nds would be perfect value. but i agree that we wouldneed and earlier 2nd so if a team who has a top 10 pick would offer their 2nd and 3rd i would take it. however i say DT is our biggest need and we really need a pocket collapser whos also good against the run and therefore i would use the early second on a DT specifically BJ.Raji. and then use the next 2nd on the OLB especially if we address OLB in free agency (dansby)

I didn't know you had a 4th in there. That makes it a little better. I'm not Falling in love with Raji or Jerry, but I feel like they are the only two DT's in this draft who can start form Day one.

The 4t is in, IF the other team comes to us and asks for a trade, if we go out and shop our pick around, we wouldn't get it.

I agree that DT is a pressing need, but we have more needs, so I won't be mad if we ended up with a OLB (where we need 2 starters) or even OT (if we don't get one in FA) with our first pick. But I'm sure TD will have a long list with names on draft day, and he'll pick the highest ranked one that fits our needs ... no matter if it's a DT/DE/OLB/OT or something we don't really see as big need.

I'm going to rewatch all Falcons games tomorrow to recheck if the DL or the LBs are the main problem when it comes to run-defense. Right now I'm really not sure, since there were so many missed tackles around the line of scrimmage.

i think our 1st and 5th for the giants 2nds would be perfect value. but i agree that we wouldneed and earlier 2nd so if a team who has a top 10 pick would offer their 2nd and 3rd i would take it. however i say DT is our biggest need and we really need a pocket collapser whos also good against the run and therefore i would use the early second on a DT specifically BJ.Raji. and then use the next 2nd on the OLB especially if we address OLB in free agency (dansby)

Yep, the value would work, but the Saints (now Giants) pick 14t ... so the 2nd round pick would be a little late for my taste. The trade is more for a pick between #37 and 40 (5t-8t pick in round 2). But if TD likes a player in that range, I'd even take the 2 Giants picks this season, even if I would like to add firepower for next years draft.

Edit: Just rewatched the Vikings game (only the defense) ... some things that came to my mind:

1) I'm very impressed with Babs, he got very good penetration on run plays and got Peterson to change direction pretty often ... and he gets the pocket to collapse more frequent than we give him credit for ... the problem in this game was that Jackson ran the ball himself when Babs got the pocket to collapse.

2) Our LBs tackling is terrible ... watching it live, I would've excluded Lofton, but actually, he's missing many tackles too, most of them because he reads plays wrong or reacts too late. I hope that changes with experience.

3) The Vikings TE was playing very smart ... I can't blame our players for most of his catches, he was really sitting in the soft-spots of the zone defense.

4) We don't have a single LB that's made for a Cover 2 ... there's no LB that can really cover his zone. I could take that, but the real problem is that we give up too many YACs, catches in a Cover 2 are a given, but you can't miss tackles.

5) Bierman is better than I gave him credit for ... he's really getting good pressure and penetration when he's on the field, but he has to work on his tackling ... there are quite some plays where you think he gets a TFL and then he just misses.