How do you feel about our 4-3 Defense?

Real life isen't Madden

Bab's doesn't fit, Grady isen't an everydown player so he doesn't fit we have 1 player that might be able to play line in 3-4 Anderson, but we would have to off both back-up ends. At LB Brooking inside but he wasn't great back then, and now he's not any better, we'd have to lose every LB on roster accualy cause they're too small, and Abe would be our OLB which he wasn't great at in NY which is why he requested a trade.

So basicly moving to this systym would mean offing every starter in our front 7, cause Abe won't do it, and although Anderson could play DE in the 3-4 you would still like someone bigger, this after making the playoff's, you should apply to be the GM of the Lions I think you could accualy make them worse.

I see what your saying for the most part and you have valid points but I have to point out that he wanted out of NY because he caught so much flack for not playing in a playoff game when he was hurt. They said he didn't play because he didn't want to hurt his chances of a bigger contract in the future. He got really ticked over that crap and they deamed him a player with bad character. He was a beast in NY and didn't ever play OLB by the way. They didn't run a 3-4 when he was there. Also, no one said anything about switching defenses right now. That couldn't be done. I'm going to stop here wrather than continue or ignite any stupid arguement over defenses. I will say this though. A 3-4 would help our passing defense but possibly hurt our run defense if we didn't have the right kind of D-line.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What does a 4-6 defense do?

There are 2 types of 46, I is generaly a 4-4-1 that's known as the bear, it's mainly used as a run defense these days with the SS in the box.

The other is the invention of Buddy Ryan and Mike Singeltary it has been attepted once in modern era (post 2000 so to speak), by Ray Lewis and the Baltamore Ravens. this it's the 46Raven defense, generaly you need a big strong fast monster of a MLB to run it thus Ray Lewis and Mike Singletary are the only 2 LB's to ever play in the defense.

3 down linemen all DT's, and 1 LB, 2 rovers 3 safteys and 2 corners

The 3 linemen line up over G/C/G, and the MLB lines up like a QB behine the NT. the LB enters the backfeild on snap and normal goes untouched as the DT's work as blockers, on a pass he gets the QB, on a run he gets the runner, the Rovers are 1/2 saftey 1/2 DE, they contain if a play spills wide, and drop into pass coverage, corners are corners, and S's are S's.

You need a minuimum of 6 300+ lbs DT's to make the systym work, we have 2, and you need an imaculant MLB.

I see what your saying for the most part and you have valid points but I have to point out that he wanted out of NY because he caught so much flack for not playing in a playoff game when he was hurt. They said he didn't play because he didn't want to hurt his chances of a bigger contract in the future. He got really ticked over that crap and they deamed him a player with bad character. He was a beast in NY and didn't ever play OLB by the way. They didn't run a 3-4 when he was there. Also, no one said anything about switching defenses right now. That couldn't be done. I'm going to stop here wrather than continue or ignite any stupid arguement over defenses. I will say this though. A 3-4 would help our passing defense but possibly hurt our run defense if we didn't have the right kind of D-line.

As he was leaving they started to use it as a situational package to confuse offense's because Elis is a 3-4 guy and they had Robertson, so they had the personel to hop into it and allow abraham to come from a different angle, it didn't take very well. It's was popular at the time with Miami as well with Jason Taylor.

Actually the Baltimore Ravens run a 4-3 defense. And it doesn't matter what u run. If you dominate, you'll dominate. Look at the Bears the past couple of years. The Colts, another 4-3, has a very good defense. The Tennesse Titans, The New York Giants, i could go on and on. Our rivals, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

One thing ive noticed is that 4-3 defense hasnt really worked to well for the Falcons the last few years.If you guys have noticed The Best Defense's in the league use 3-4 Defense.Just look at the Ravens Defense(2nd in the NFL) .The Pittsburgh Steelers use 3-4 also ,and they are the best in the league.I really just dont think that 4-3 is effective enough for the Falcons.What do you think?
You are right that the best defenses have been 3-4 defenses. The problem with us running a 3-4 is we only have one LB that has played worth a flip and you need four to run a 3-4. Also we'd need a NT and Grady is getting old. I think we will probably stay with the 4-3.

we have a zone coverage HC and DC....why think a 3-4 D is even a consideration? (I know Smith dabbled in the 3-4 in BAL, but only as a positions coach)

it isnt like Madden where you can swing a 85 rated DT to a DE and he becomes a 90 rating. We just signed Babs to a 5 year deal, and it is to be a DT.

We have a GREAT defensive scheme, and it showed with how well (although inconsistent) they have played with minimal talent on D.

John Abraham would be TOAST in the 3 - 4 defense.

John Abraham would be a OLB in the 3-4.. For those who aren't aware he was drafted as a LB with the Jets and he was pretty good. The problem with John in NY was injuries and character. We haven't had a outside speed rusher every since John left in 06 and he's sorely missed.

What does a 4-6 defense do?

Pay attention and I will explain.

4 defensive lineman and 6 DB's. It's basically for 3rd and long situations. 3rd and really long.

This couldn't be more wrong.

There are 2 types of 46, I is generaly a 4-4-1 that's known as the bear, it's mainly used as a run defense these days with the SS in the box.

The other is the invention of Buddy Ryan and Mike Singeltary it has been attepted once in modern era (post 2000 so to speak), by Ray Lewis and the Baltamore Ravens. this it's the 46Raven defense, generaly you need a big strong fast monster of a MLB to run it thus Ray Lewis and Mike Singletary are the only 2 LB's to ever play in the defense.

3 down linemen all DT's, and 1 LB, 2 rovers 3 safteys and 2 corners

The 3 linemen line up over G/C/G, and the MLB lines up like a QB behine the NT. the LB enters the backfeild on snap and normal goes untouched as the DT's work as blockers, on a pass he gets the QB, on a run he gets the runner, the Rovers are 1/2 saftey 1/2 DE, they contain if a play spills wide, and drop into pass coverage, corners are corners, and S's are S's.

You need a minuimum of 6 300+ lbs DT's to make the systym work, we have 2, and you need an imaculant MLB.

The above is called a 4 - 4 or "bear" defense, but is NOT a 46. As far as that goes, you can run the 46 out of ANY package of players.

This is one of the biggest mistakes made on here. The 46 defense has NOTHING TO DO WITH ALIGNMENT!!!!!! It isn't 4 lineman and 6 anythings! While there are some alignments that make this defense more effective than others, you can actually run it out of just about any alignment.

Let me try to explain. The 3 - 4 refers to the 3 lineman and 4 linebackers. The 4 - 3 is 4 lineman and 3 linebackers. The 46 (notice it isn't listed as a "4 - 6" but rather a 46 as in "forty-six") is a philosophy. In the 46, the idea is to play every receiver man-to-man and send the rest of the team after the QB. Buddy Ryan did invent it. As it has been described, he was the first person to realize the defense out-numbers the offense. (Think about it, the offense has 1 ball carrier and 10 guys trying to protect him while the defense has 11 guys to go after the ball carrier). Anyways, its a philosophy that basically means "send more than they can block." The reason why it's called the 46 defense is because on the Bears, when Ryan would run it, the free man that usually ended up getting to the ball carrier was a safety that wore number 46. That safety, by the way, is our very own assistant coach Doug Plank.

I say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". We just need a few skilled players to add to our defense,

and we'll be fine.

Even though most of the better defensive teams use the 3-4, we just don't have

the personnel to change right now, and I'm not convinced we should.

In my opinion, it's ALL about the quality of your players, NOT your scheme. And we should

trust TD & Co. to get us there, in the next year or two.

By the way.....FALCONS eat Cardinals for lunch! HA HA. ;)

Pay attention and I will explain.

This couldn't be more wrong.

The above is called a 4 - 4 or "bear" defense, but is NOT a 46. As far as that goes, you can run the 46 out of ANY package of players.

This is one of the biggest mistakes made on here. The 46 defense has NOTHING TO DO WITH ALIGNMENT!!!!!! It isn't 4 lineman and 6 anythings! While there are some alignments that make this defense more effective than others, you can actually run it out of just about any alignment.

Let me try to explain. The 3 - 4 refers to the 3 lineman and 4 linebackers. The 4 - 3 is 4 lineman and 3 linebackers. The 46 (notice it isn't listed as a "4 - 6" but rather a 46 as in "forty-six") is a philosophy. In the 46, the idea is to play every receiver man-to-man and send the rest of the team after the QB. Buddy Ryan did invent it. As it has been described, he was the first person to realize the defense out-numbers the offense. (Think about it, the offense has 1 ball carrier and 10 guys trying to protect him while the defense has 11 guys to go after the ball carrier). Anyways, its a philosophy that basically means "send more than they can block." The reason why it's called the 46 defense is because on the Bears, when Ryan would run it, the free man that usually ended up getting to the ball carrier was a safety that wore number 46. That safety, by the way, is our very own assistant coach Doug Plank.

Well thanks fo the 411.I didnt know that.

While I think our line would actually be pretty good, it's in the linebacking department where this pipedream falls short. And Smith was the coach in Baltimore during the Superbowl years. I'm pretty darn sure they ran a 4 - 3 back then (with Saragusa and Sam Adams at DT).

Right on the Ravens were a 4 - 3 defensive team in 2000. Their DE's that year were Rob Burnett and Michael McCrary. Their linebackers were Peter Boulware, Ray Lewis and Jamie Sharper. That was one of the best linebacking units in NFL history. Also look at how many guys from their starting lineups were drafted by them. That's what we want here in Atlanta.

Link

That's because we had Brady Smith and Patrick Kerney as or DEs. We didn't have the personel for it and we don't have the personel now.

Yep. That was terrible. We couldn't contain the run and our linebackers didn't seem fast enough to break up the pass either. It was just bad. I'm not a big fan of LBs lined up against WRs too often anyway.

the 3-4 D is a D that you build around your linebackers. Big and fast linebackers who can blow up linemen and blow up holes. the 4-3 D is a D designed for fast d linemen.

our Linebackers are not the biggest or fastest, but i think Lofton is going to be a really good linebacker as he develops more over the next few years.

the 4-3 D will be better for us as we begin to get bigger interior Dline men to help stop the run. if you notice teams always let our DE up field and run down the middle eliminating them from the play, putting a hat on our line backers, to help get the RB to the next level. its a good thing we had good DB run support, or our season couldve been worse...

Bad idea ... our problem is not the system, our problem is the lack of talent. We have 3 talented every down players in the "Front 7" ... that's Lofton and Babs ... and the third is actually a team and that's Abe/Davis at RDE. Boley doesn't fit that system, Brooking would be a very good backup, but he's not a starter anymore, Grady isn't playing close to every down and JA98 hasn't shown much so far. The other guys (like Bierman or Moorehead) are backups at this point of their careers. We just lack talent and we need 1-3 (guessing 2, since TD picks well in the draft) offseasons to get the talent we need.

Why do people seem to think that a 3-4 automatically equals a good defence?

It's a tough transition to make ... look at the Jets, Browns and 49ers ... all wildly inconsistent on defence. If we change the defence we're starting from scratch rather then building on what we have been working on and the results will likely be like the aforementioned teams.

Our best defensive players (Babineaux, Abraham, Lofton) are all better suited to the 4-3. We need upgrades at NT, OLB and in the secondary but these can be found during free agency and the draft. There's talent out there to upgrade our defence and make it more consistent.

Adding a dominant run-stuffing nose tackle, another pass-rusher at defensive end (or perhaps using Chauncey Davis as a full-time starter), and one or two new starters at linebacker (depending on whether Boley get his act back together) would drastically improve our defense. I still think we should slide Boley over to WLB and rotate Wire and a healthy Robert James out at SLB. We have defensive talent on this roster, but sometimes I question whether or not we are truly using it effectively.

If the coaching staff feels that Fudge and DeCoud are adequate backups to Milloy and Coleman, I'm content with our secondary for another season. More pressure - and containment - from the front seven will do wonders for our cornerbacks. Foxworth, Jackson, Houston, Hutchins, and Grimes would make a very nice tandem with some more help up front.

Whatever happens, we all know the defense is going to get some big upgrades in the offseason. Look for TD to add one big free agent signing to the defense (Peppers, Haynesworth, Suggs) and then build our defensive front seven through the draft. I would not be surprised to see 5 of our 7 draft choices used on defensive players.