How do you feel about our 4-3 Defense?

One thing ive noticed is that 4-3 defense hasnt really worked to well for the Falcons the last few years.If you guys have noticed The Best Defense's in the league use 3-4 Defense.Just look at the Ravens Defense(2nd in the NFL) .The Pittsburgh Steelers use 3-4 also ,and they are the best in the league.I really just dont think that 4-3 is effective enough for the Falcons.What do you think?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We just don't have a lot of talent on defense period. Haven't had it since 98' really. Doesn't matter if you run a 4-3 or 3-4 you have to have the talent to make it work.

Ditto this. Our offense has been hiding our defensive deficiencies all year. After a freeagent period/draft devoted mostly to our defense, we should look much better next year.

For the 3 - 4 defense you have to have HUGE 300 plus pound defensive ends.

Actually, think of it as one huge NT (Gravy) one normal 300 pound 4-3 d-tackle (Trey Lewis comes to mind) and one penetrating Utackle type (Babs and Anderson both fit this bill). So, from a personnel standpoint, a 3-4 wouldn't be a bad idea as for our line. To be perfectly honest, I think JA98 would dominate as a 3-4 end.

However, and its a big however, it is in the linebacker department where this idea loses its attractiveness. We absolutely, positively DO NOT have the lbs to play the 3 - 4.

Ditto this. Our offense has been hiding our defensive deficiencies all year. After a freeagent period/draft devoted mostly to our defense, we should look much better next year.

I hope so its so heartbreaking just looking at our defense on 3rd downs,we just know were about to get a stop,next thing you know houston gives up a big play.Or keith Misses a tackle..lol

I hope so its so heartbreaking just looking at our defense on 3rd downs,we just know were about to get a stop,next thing you know houston gives up a big play.Or keith Misses a tackle..lol

Don't sleep on Chevis. I think this year was a learning period for him and I would not be surprised if he beat out Houston next year. Foxy/Jackson as starters with Von Hutchinson (don't sleep on him either, he's a baller) in the nickle and Houston off the bench isn't too shabby.

John Abraham would be TOAST in the 3 - 4 defense.

I've been thinking the same thing. As far as Abe and Biermann, I think they would be rushing linebacker in this system. Just like Joey Porter and Demarcus ware. I think Harrison up in Pittsburg is a OLB too. Normally all you need is a big body in the middle and we have grady. I also think Chancy and Jamaal would be better 3-4 DE's that are more run stoppers than pass rushers. I wish we would but I doubt we will because none of our coaches have a history with it. We could hire Wade Phillips again if he gets canned. I think our defense will be alright when we get better athletes. Jag's have had a great physical defense for years. I take back what I said about our coaches not having any history. I forgot Coach Smith was the D-line coach in Baltimore. It would be fun. Still doubt it.

Real life isen't Madden

Bab's doesn't fit, Grady isen't an everydown player so he doesn't fit we have 1 player that might be able to play line in 3-4 Anderson, but we would have to off both back-up ends. At LB Brooking inside but he wasn't great back then, and now he's not any better, we'd have to lose every LB on roster accualy cause they're too small, and Abe would be our OLB which he wasn't great at in NY which is why he requested a trade.

So basicly moving to this systym would mean offing every starter in our front 7, cause Abe won't do it, and although Anderson could play DE in the 3-4 you would still like someone bigger, this after making the playoff's, you should apply to be the GM of the Lions I think you could accualy make them worse.

I forgot Coach Smith was the D-line coach in Baltimore. It would be fun. Still doubt it.

While I think our line would actually be pretty good, it's in the linebacking department where this pipedream falls short. And Smith was the coach in Baltimore during the Superbowl years. I'm pretty darn sure they ran a 4 - 3 back then (with Saragusa and Sam Adams at DT).

If we were going to switch, this offseason would be the one to do it. We'll be revamping the entire D. However, our best defensive player is not cut out for a 3-4. I believe Abe has said b/4 that he would not play as an OLB in a 3-4.

Thus lies the problem with this idea. It eliminates our best player because Abe is not suited for the OLB, and Abe knows it. Sure, he could play it, but he's much more effective as a RDE.

It's not that he said that he would not do it, it's just that when asked if he was alright with it he demanded a trade.

That trade was, Dever got pick 15 (traded to st. louis) who took Tye Hill.

The jets got 29th pick Nick Mangold

Falcons got Abraham a 3rd rounder Jerious Norwood, and a 2007 4th rounder Steven Nicholas

Denver's trade was again a jump up to 11 where they selected Cutler