What was wrong with our defense yesterday?

To those of you with some football knowledge ... what was wrong with our Defense yesterday? It looked *terrible* at times. Was it just a "funk", or was something wrong with the "scheme", or was it due to players being out (if so, which players and why)? I want to understand how our Defense can look so brilliant sometimes, and so completely awful other times. Thanks.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

They are pretty beat up after the Minnesota game. If we had known the outcome of the Saints game, they would have rested them.

I think the absence of Milloy and Anderson in the lineup hurt us and then Abe in the second half.

I could definitely see the impact Milloy not being in there had on the defense.

I think a lot of us forgot that their offense isn't terrible. Holt and Jackson are two of the best in the business at their position. Sure, they're a two win team, but Jackson is still a stud. Combine that with a defense who was still banged up from Minnesota and starters playing reduced rolls to rest for the wild card.

Defense has been inconsistent all season and it does get frustrating at times. But the great thing is, we're in the playoffs and we're 0-0. They know that if you want to make it far, the play will have to improve. Play like we did yesterday and it's a quick entry and a quicker exit. But it's the playoffs, we have nothing to lose so it's time to bring everything we got. Soft scheme, nickel and prevent defense be damned, Van Gorder and the defense better bring it. These guys know what's on the line, we'll be fine.

Like tandy said, Milloy was not in the game, he is a huge part of our run defense.........If you're having trouble stopping the run, good luck on stopping the run as well as the play action. I can remember the announcer saying we were getting gashed by the run yet we didn't bring any extra bodies up to the line of scrimmage.

They are pretty beat up after the Minnesota game. If we had known the outcome of the Saints game, they would have rested them.

I think the absence of Milloy and Anderson in the lineup hurt us and then Abe in the second half.

Yeah, but I've heard a lot of people say that Fudge played really well. And just look at all the yards we gave up. Frankly, if they would have just handed to Steven Jackson every play, they might have won ... it seemed like we simply could not stop him.

To those of you with some football knowledge ... what was wrong with our Defense yesterday? It looked *terrible* at times. Was it just a "funk", or was something wrong with the "scheme", or was it due to players being out (if so, which players and why)? I want to understand how our Defense can look so brilliant sometimes, and so completely awful other times. Thanks.

Run Defense: Alot of those runs we got caught in stunts, effective way to get pressure on the QB but you can also "Stunt" yourself right out of a run play. When that happens the LB's have to make the right read and cover their responsibility, I.E. Weakside LB taking correct path to ball to prevent cut back runs.

Definition: A pass-rushing maneuver by two defensive linemen in which they alter their course to the quarterback, hoping to confuse the offensive linemen.

Examples: In most stunts, one defensive lineman crosses behind another in hopes of either going unblocked or gaining an advantage on his blocker.

Pass Defense: This is alot easier, our inability to get consistent pressure on the QB with just 4 Defensive Lineman. Since we can not get pressure with 4 down lineman we have to blitz extra linebackers/DB's .... when you do this your Cornerbacks are forced to play man-to-man with no over the top safety help. With that being said the DB who is playing man-to-man has 2 options, play bump n run coverage where you play the WR off the line and try to jam them at the line and face the chance the WR gets past them and can get beat deep. The other option is to play with a 7-10 yard cushion since you have no deep help and hope the pressure from the blitz gets there, making the WR run a shallow hot route.

Hope that helps some

The same thing that's been wrong with them all year. They can't stop the run and when they do Crisp Houston can't get his head around on a pass.

They are a scary bunch, especially heading into the desert to face one of the better offenses in the league. I watched ARI yesterday and let me tell you they have an offense that can flat out get it done.

They spread us out using 3 WR sets and getting our "nickel" package out on the field. That leaves 6 blockers for 6 defenders and if you can get a hat on a hat then your gonna get big plays running the ball. Most of the big passing plays were just guys getting beat one on one for various reasons. We couldn't stack the box to stop Jackson because we wouldn't leave our corners one on one because they kept getting beat by Holt and Avery. We had to run some cover zero blitzes because no one else on this team other than Abe can rush the passer effectively which left our corners one on one and they again got beat.

The fact is we just don't have that much talent on defense and we're in needs of some serious upgrades on that side of the ball. i don't really see a problem with coaching or scheme that much it's just guys are failing to make plays.

Fudge didn't exactly play bad. He was about the only guy that could bring down Stephen Jackson one on one.

Yes, I agree to all the above.

Rams O-line, Bulger, Jackson and Holt much better than their 2 win record would indicate.

We really missed Milloy, JA98, and Abraham.

They burned us on some stunts and blitzes where they just won the chess matchup.

Our defense has been inconsistent like this most of the year, BUT they do seem to make the plays when the game is on the line.

We all know our defense is our Achilles Heel going into the playoffs, and will be the focus of much of our off season work. They really have played very well considering we were not able to do much to that roster in the offseason outside of Lofton and Foxworth.

Even on obvious run plays, I saw Grady, Wire, and Lofton on the sidelines. I couldn't figure it out. Despite missing several key players, the player packages were off the whole game.

It's called a Nickel package The Rams were running out of 3 WR sets the entire game thus getting those guys off the field.

Yesterday, lol, our defense has been swiss cheese all year. For the above poster it was swiss cheese when Abe and Milloy were playing as well.

Our supposed Swiss cheese defense is #11 in the NFL in points allowed at 20.3 points per game. This is the only real stat that matters for defense.

Our 2nd leading tackler going into this game was held out so he could rest for the playoffs (Milloy).

Our best passrusher was sat down because of an uncomfortable feeling in his groin area (Abraham).

Our other starting DE was held out to give him time to rest for the playoffs (Anderson).

Add to this, all of their guys are now healthy. Steven Jackson missed 5 starts this season. In just 11 games, he put up over 1000 yards rushing, almost 400 receiving, with 9.5 per reception, and 8 TD's. He's only carried the ball over 30 times twice this season, and it was the last two weeks. In other words, he's a stud when he's healthy.

Fudge didn't exactly play bad. He was about the only guy that could bring down Stephen Jackson one on one.

He was not Milloy. Milloy has more impact on the run than any player we have on our team. That's sad, but true. I've seen him single handedly stop runners when no one else got to them and save the TD this year and cross the field, even get into the backfield on numerous occasions to stop the run. He's a great tackler and punishes the runner with his tackles.

Fudge was okay - he was no Milloy.

He was not Milloy. Milloy has more impact on the run than any player we have on our team. That's sad, but true. I've seen him single handedly stop runners when no one else got to them and save the TD this year and cross the field, even get into the backfield on numerous occasions to stop the run. He's a great tackler and punishes the runner with his tackles.

Fudge was okay - he was no Milloy.

agreed. yesterday really showed me how valuable milloy is to our run defense. you only really seem to realise how important something is once its gone.

They spread us out using 3 WR sets and getting our "nickel" package out on the field. That leaves 6 blockers for 6 defenders and if you can get a hat on a hat then your gonna get big plays running the ball. Most of the big passing plays were just guys getting beat one on one for various reasons. We couldn't stack the box to stop Jackson because we wouldn't leave our corners one on one because they kept getting beat by Holt and Avery. We had to run some cover zero blitzes because no one else on this team other than Abe can rush the passer effectively which left our corners one on one and they again got beat.

The fact is we just don't have that much talent on defense and we're in needs of some serious upgrades on that side of the ball. i don't really see a problem with coaching or scheme that much it's just guys are failing to make plays.

This makes a lot of sense to me. It breaks down like this:

1. We can't get consistent QB pressure with 4 guys rushing.

2. Therefore, they can get in a passing situation (with our Nickel package), and we have to really focus on pass coverage because the QB won't be pressured quickly enough.

3. When our nickel package is in and we're being careful in pass coverage, we are vulnerable to the run big time.

4. If we cheat someone up to address number 3, then we're vulnerable to the pass.

And now the league has discovered it (starting with the Saints I guess). Do you guys agree? And if so, how do we fix it (this year I mean ... so we can do well in the playoffs)?