Winning has other rewards too!.......

joefalconfan

so not only is being a playoff team this year exciting for obvious reasons. but its also great because we are now a very very attractive place to land if you are a free agent. weve got a new regime, a very likeable coach, and of course matt ryan. the sky is the limit for our future and free agents like haynesworth or whomever would love to be a part of it. just think ,last year at this time there wasnt a single player or coach that wouldve actually wanted to be here. so.....not to look too far ahead or anything, but i already am excited to see what kind of offseason we have!

I agree with most of what you're saying but how exactly do you explain the Falcons landing one of the best and most desired free agents last year, Michael Turner? Sometimes all that matters is CASH these days.

well turner was a career backup. yes, alot of people felt he could do well as a #1 rb...but it wasnt a sure thing. it was just speculation. if you need proof of that, check out these mesage boards the weeks after we signed him for that huge contract. everyone was saying that he got all his yards in garbage time, and his stats were skewed, etc. so its not like we went out and signed a brian westbrook, or addai, or portis. etc...guys that have proven themselves already with little to no risk involved in signing them.

First off, I don't rate what people say on this board very highly, if so Ryan would have surely been a bust. Secondly, there was nothing about this franchise that was desirably to join last year except for the CASH. Listen to who you wish but I was very happy we signed Turner and was always a fan of his during his SD days. Call his playing time in SD garbage if you want but his size mixed with the long TD runs he had screamed he was worth signing to me. Over Turner's time in SD how many RB's could have honestly taken time from Tomlinson? He was the best back by far over those years. The key in free agency isn't to get proven stars but to find young players on the verge of braking out like Turner. Either way, NFL teams, all of them, are able to sign free agents by throwing cash at them. Generally, the teams who are struggling tend to be the teams that can over pay for players.