For all those who say get rid of Brooking

Xanthri08

I have to humbly disagree. When Jessie Tuggle left this team and the way he left, a void was created, Brooking despite all the disasters and storylines has remained quietly dedicated to this team. He has weathered the storm. Now that being said I am all for keeping him in a mentor role, provided we are not paying him 7.7 million dollars. I hated to see Kearney go, but it was a money issue and in my opinion a bad decision(I realize he has gotten hurt in Seattle but he has still had solid play) Again all about the money......but one of my Falcon Favorites.

Unless it is too costly, we need to keep Brooking on the team and let him mentor the younger folks, AND PUT THEM ON THE RIGHT PATH......Quiet and deadly.....

As for the sack....I agree you have to make that play, but TJ was slipping out of tight spots all day long....so cold the old guy a break....most of us would have missed that tackle.....

ok I might have went a little overboard there, let me restate a lot of older LBs in the NFL would have missed that one....TJ had Crisco all over him all day, we should have had a 6 sack day.....I counted at least 4 plays when he looked doomed only to scamper for 5-15 yards......reminds me of the guy we use to have.....but not quite as talented.

If Kieth takes a significant pay cut then I'm OK with him being around next year. His physical skills have diminished such that he is not worth a lot of money. That said, he does add intangible beneftis to the team. I would have no problem moving on.

As for Kerney, it was clearly the right decision to let him go. he got a big money contract in Seattle. So far he is about 50% on delivering on the contract. I would expect that given his age that that % will only go down. Sure he was great in 2007, but it was a 5 year deal and he was on the wrong side of 30 when he signed the deal. Brooking will be in the same situation this coming offseason. I trust that Dimitroff will make the right decision on this one.

If I had my choice I would say bye to Brooking. Sorry, I'm not paying a guy to just be a leader so to speak. Brooking is not the same type of leader as a Ray Lewis is "on" the field. I just have not seen where his leadership has made a difference. Has he gone out an played great assignment football? Has he been a sound tackler that makes the plays he should? Has a been an emotional leader that get the team jacked-up and keeps them up during the low points of the game? His play does not warrant him being back for anything other than the veteran minimum. Even at the veteran minimum I would still value the roster spot b/c he would be an expensive backup.

Athletically Brooking may still have something in the tank, but combine that will the fact that he is always out of control and that is a bad combo. I will not say that he is done playing, but he has hurt us more with constant missed tackles and it is finally time to move on. Maybe the Lions, could appreciate what he has to offer, but I've seen him victimized too many times in a Falcons uniform over the last 4 season or so.

There comes a time when an organization has to let a guy go. The good ones know when that time gets here. Fans will still show up when Brooking is cut. I know he was born and raised in state and played all his football here, there will be others. Tuggle’s last contract was just a waste of money and a bad decision. Nicholas is going to be 26 next year with 2 seasons under his belt. I say let him have it and find out if he is a guy that you can count on long term vs. wasting another year on Brooking when you know he is only getting worse.

Yeah, that's a brilliant idea, let's immediately cut the leading tackler on the team. Better yet let's keep Michael Boley who has 30 less tackles and dropped a sure interception that would have won the New Orleans game for us. Only in Atlanta, with its race based sports environment, would there be post after post about getting rid of the leading tackler on the team....meanwhile not a word about Boley. Hmmmm...wonder why. Pick me, Pick me...I know

Yeah, that's a brilliant idea, let's immediately cut the leading tackler on the team. Better yet let's keep Michael Boley who has 30 less tackles and dropped a sure interception that would have won the New Orleans game for us. Only in Atlanta, with its race based sports environment, would there be post after post about getting rid of the leading tackler on the team....meanwhile not a word about Boley. Hmmmm...wonder why. Pick me, Pick me...I know

I agree with you 100% , and I hope we keep KB for just 2 more years so He can be a part of our SB win. He is one of my top three all time Falcons , the other is William Andrews and Steve Barkowski. And let me add one more thing, I guess nobody else in the league ever misses a tackle , GIVE ME A BREAK MAN! If you think that you need to just put your head down turn around and walk off . That's like when Jesus said . let him that is without sin cast the first stone. Dude , they all had to put their stones down and walk off like a whipped puppy.

Not a word about Boley because this thread is not about Boley. Look at last year, where he was one of the ONLY bright spots on our Defense. You can't let him walk away. He has SOO much more upside than Brooking and He fits WLB better than he does SLB.

What about the Interception that saved us the game in Green Bay?

What about when Brooking let that Eagles FULLBACK, run right by him to set up another score and made us eventually lose that game?

The Fact is that Boley is Way faster, more athletic, and can make plays. Brooking is slow and hasn't made a play in 3 years. Leading Tackler is not Good man...... I am sorry. It means that you probably can't cover the guy you are on.

Though race definitely has nothing to do with it in my case, I'd say Brooking is past his prime too. A few years ago he had more closing speed and seemed to be able to get into the play, no matter where it was on the field. He now seems to be just a step late most of the time and it's not due to inexperience. I like Brook, but he shouldn't still be starting in the league. I think he can still play, but moreso as providing some depth. The problem is...who do we have that can step in there right now. Boley may be ready...he was definitely good for the past two years. Nicholas we don't see enough of to know yet. Wire has shown flashes, but only in brief PT so we still don't know there either. They simply need to officially put that job up for grabs next year and make whomever ends up with it earn it. I'm not crowning the next LB...I want them to fight for it. Brook is a good vet to have on the team...but anyone that suggests a paycut....seriously? Who's gonna want to do that? Especially a veteran?

I personally hope we have two new OLBs next year. Both Brooking and Boley shoud be gone. Maybe Wire is the answer at SLB, but I'd definitely like to get him some competition.

Hakim 24 wrote: "Not a word about Boley because this thread is not about Boley. Look at last year, where he was one of the ONLY bright spots on our Defense. You can't let him walk away. He has SOO much more upside than Brooking and He fits WLB better than he does SLB." No its about our LB corps. Boley is such a "bright spot" that the coaches sat him down and put in Coy Wire....they didn't sit Brooking down. But I guess you know more than the coaches that have led us to the playoffs. ROTFLMAO

What the "Haters and Non Believers" all have missed:

"Brooking is Old and Too Slow"

Have you noticed how Brook is playing faster as the season grinds on?

Brook is not playing faster, he has paced himself as a seasoned Pro should.

Everybody else is slowing down.

TJ was lucky to escape Brooks grasp, very lucky!

post-183816-1230430394_thumb.jpg

Has a been an emotional leader that get the team jacked-up and keeps them up during the low points of the game? .

I think he has done that--at least he used to.

Haven't watched him that closely this year in that respect.

But he has definitely slowed down even tho his heart is still there