Fast Starts - Slow-Close Finish?

mattyicefalcon

I think you have to keep in mind that this is Mike Smith's first year as a HC. In that respect, he's a rookie, too. Maybe he gets too conservative with a lead at times, but then again we've seen him go for it on 4th down at times. He'll get better as time goes on. Then again, the man has his team at 10-5, so even if it seems to you (or me) that he's too slow in the second half, it doesn't matter much what we think!! :P

I think you have to keep in mind that this is Mike Smith's first year as a HC. In that respect, he's a rookie, too. Maybe he gets too conservative with a lead at times, but then again we've seen him go for it on 4th down at times. He'll get better as time goes on. Then again, the man has his team at 10-5, so even if it seems to you (or me) that he's too slow in the second half, it doesn't matter much what we think!! :P

I totally agree...& I dont want to take anything away from this stellar crew..BUT, on that note we MUST rectify these errors to knock down teams like Giants or Titans! beause at end of the day, you can only get lucky few times NOT every time!

Upcoming game will surely set the tone & character of our team heading in to playoffs.

Merry X Mas Anyway!!

One major reason for our good starts is that the first 20 plays or so are scripted, meaning the players practice those plays during the week and then run them in that order on Sunday. Now, most teams do this nowadays, but it says alot about our game planning that ours are so effective. As the game wears on, it's only natural that a team doesn't look as sharp on those subsequent drives since they are called and exectued based on in-game factors.

My only concern with them and late in the game is that they get a bit conservative for my tastes. We leave too many easy points on the field, imo. But then, I'm sitting in my chair watching the game, not standing on the sidelines trying to keep my job, lol.

One major reason for our good starts is that the first 20 plays or so are scripted, meaning the players practice those plays during the week and then run them in that order on Sunday. Now, most teams do this nowadays, but it says alot about our game planning that ours are so effective. As the game wears on, it's only natural that a team doesn't look as sharp on those subsequent drives since they are called and exectued based on in-game factors.

My only concern with them and late in the game is that they get a bit conservative for my tastes. We leave too many easy points on the field, imo. But then, I'm sitting in my chair watching the game, not standing on the sidelines trying to keep my job, lol.

exactly- great points

I don't know though. This style of get ahead and keep just enough points to win may cut down on injury even though it is hard on us fans. If our defense were stronger we would not have such high blood pressure.

It seems to me like the most effective we are at moving the ball is in the no huddle. That is the case for a lot of teams but with us, Ryan looks Manning-esque in his ability to lead things on the fly and make the correct decisions consistently. As he gains more experience I think the coaching staff will feel more comfortable allowing him to do that more and more. We've gotta remember, the coaching staff has most likely seen any failures Matt has had. He's kept it for the most part very clean and effective on the field but in practice I'm sure there have been times he has made mistakes, misreads, etc. Though I have no doubt Matt would feel totally confident in the No Huddle significantly more during the game, perhaps its the coaches who have to become comfortable with it.

I don't know though. This style of get ahead and keep just enough points to win may cut down on injury even though it is hard on us fans. If our defense were stronger we would not have such high blood pressure.

lol true!

Conservative is definitely the answer to this question. Its so nerve racking to see in the 3rd and 4th quarter when we call a run play on something like 3rd and 8. I understand our run offense is truly the centerpiece of our offense but for God sakes utilize Matty Ice at these times!

I think a big part of it is really that our offense is well prepared. Statistically, we are a lower than average team defensively, so at least some of that can be attributed to the fact that when our offense scores, a lot of times we will give those points back over the course of the game. I also think a big part of it is the halftime adjustments the other team is making. A lot of times we're leading at halftime, so on our end, there aren't a lot of adjustments to be made, which we then end up having to do sort of on the fly in the 2nd half when the opponent has shifted gears on us. you have a point, there are times where we are definitely playing with fire there in the 4th quarter. what concerns me the most is that our offense sometimes seems to sputter, and our defense ends up being on the field more than i'd like in the later part of the game.

that said, i love my chances with Ryan leading us back should our defense falter (and there have been times where it has). i'm not being a homer when I say if we're down in the 4th quarter, there isn't any other QB in the NFL i'd rather have leading my team to a comeback than Matt Ryan.

I'm all for the fast starts. We need to continue the pace. To this point, we have won most of the games at the end when we get conservative. I would like to see the Falcons continue to try and pick up first downs via the passing games when the score is too close in the 4th quarter.

lol true!

Conservative is definitely the answer to this question. Its so nerve racking to see in the 3rd and 4th quarter when we call a run play on something like 3rd and 8. I understand our run offense is truly the centerpiece of our offense but for God sakes utilize Matty Ice at these times!

I agree with that...we should go for it on those passing downs to try and make plays especially when the game's close. I'm confident Ryan will make the smart throws on those downs...but, I also understand Smitty's view. If we have the lead, then we bleed the clock by running the ball. I think VanGorder also has the defense ease up to allow the clock to run more as well even though that's taking a big risk. All these things have gotten us to the playoffs so I'm not worried, but we have to trust this staff. The postseason calls for a few changes in team's gameplans and I see Smitty, VanGorder, and especially Mularkey doing just that to try and surprise our opponents.