2008 or 2004 team?

Jax

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this team will have back-to-back winning seasons falling off a log easy. The question will be are they content, or will they be even better next year.

Next year the expectations will be through the roof. No matter who we draft or what we do, we are going to be in the "best of the NFC" pre-season class. We are the story everyone wants to tell.

Will this group handle acclaim as well as they handled anonymity.

Will we be playing for our playoff lives in week 15 next season, or will we have at least a 2 seed wraped up? We will find out if these guys are HUNGRY, or mearly good.

And another thing. That 2004 team played the perfect game against the Rams, then laid a royal egg vs. the Eagles. This team hasn't been capable of laying that big an egg since about week 5.
What? Royal egg?

That 2004 team was down 14-10, only one quarter away from the Bowl, before Knapp abandoned the run and Gazoo's guy Bryan Scott proceeded to give up two TDs to the same TE on the same exact play.

The 2008 team hasn't beaten the Rams or a playoff team and you boys have annointed them already. Total homerism.

Watch the game again. We couldn't even punt the ball. The wind didn't seem to be an issue for their kicker and QB.

We laid down mentally when we saw the weather report. I honestly believe that.

Wasn't that the game where it seemed like everytime we made a TD or first down, the refs called it back for holding?

Personally I think it is time to stop living in the past. It is not like we got to the superbowl in 2004. Our players watched it on tv like most years.

Pining over a team that is gone while the team we have are in the playoffs is disloyal. Gee thanks for getting us this far guys but if we could bring the other team forward in time we'd dump you like yesterday's garbage.

I am a fan of THESE falcons. The ones right here and now. I support them until they retire or move on and then I support the players that take their place. I don't even want to hear about the 98 team. I want to win a superbowl not visit the stadium for an hour. Every other team has fallen short of the goal so forget about them. The only team I know of that has a chance is the one we have right now. The only thing I know is that THIS team has made it in these circumstances and I have no idea what a previous version of the falcons would have done and not only is it impossible to find out I would not want to try. None of those versions have the potential to win a superbowl NOT ONE OF THEM because they didn't do it. Since we have never won one the only team that ever has a chance is the one we have in the present and at least this one is knocking on the door. And the funny thing is this team is knocking on the door at least a FULL year ahead of schedule. And if they don't get it this year and have a winning record next year they will MAKE HISTORY. That is how low the bar is set from previous versions.

What? Royal egg?

That 2004 team was down 14-10, only one quarter away from the Bowl, before Knapp abandoned the run and Gazoo's guy Bryan Scott proceeded to give up two TDs to the same TE on the same exact play.

The 2008 team hasn't beaten the Rams or a playoff team and you boys have annointed them already. Total homerism.

agreed. all the people saying 08 is hands down better is being a homer. If this was then and then was now then everybody would be saying we are better this year. We were very very good that year. I hope we are better this year, but we will not be able to say so unless we go to the nfc championship game.

agreed. all the people saying 08 is hands down better is being a homer. If this was then and then was now then everybody would be saying we are better this year. We were very very good that year. I hope we are better this year, but we will not be able to say so unless we go to the nfc championship game.

The NFC was so bad in 2004 that two 8 - 8 teams made the playoffs including 1 that we beat to get to the NFC Championship Game. We also loss a game 56 - 10. I'm sorry but good teams don't lose 56 - 10 by giving up 8 rushing touchdowns.

If your talking to me then you didn't read what I was saying. I had more confidence in the 2004 team because of defense. That defense was much better than this defense we have right now. Better defensive line and Keon Carpender was playing out of his mind down the strech that year. My confidence had little to do with the offense even though they did lead the league in rushing that year. I also knew that their o-line was small and could not get the push they needed against great defenses. As far as this year, I have all the confidence in the world with our offense against any defense in the league but our defense has let teams stay in games or even come back from being way down all year. Even against the lowly Detroit Lions and KC Chiefs. We had huge leads on both teams and they came back only for our offense to finally put them away. Same thing against N.O. and the Panthers. Our defense plays very well in spurts and do have the capabilities of going on a great run but are yet to do so consistently. I think we will compete and have a chance to win against anyone because of Matt Ryan. I have trust in him but not much trust in this defense. I do think Abe is clutch though. A lot of his sacks have come in clutch moments.

I do agree with you on the defense. It is not loaded with gifted athletes BUT we do have great team chemistry which produces tons of over achievment. They play pretty smart most of the time, even when they're over matched. I do feel sorry for Abe. There is no quit in that guy. Not this year. His body is wearing out quickly, I hope we can win the Div. so he can rest up. A shame that Jamaal hasn't broke thru like I thought he would with our coaching staff. Maybe we'll see a miracle with him yet.

Anyone who thinks a team of falcons past can match or exceed what this 2008 team has done this year in these circumstances is a homer. You can't even say the 98 team that made it to the superbowl would even make the playoffs this year. They did what they did in different circumstances against different teams and talents. It is as likely that a team with a losing record in the past would have done as well as the 2008 team as one with a winning record.

The 2008 Falcons are a playoff caliber team. That should only give you reason to celebrate. Be loyal to the team that is here.