2008 or 2004 team?

Jax

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I just went back and read the posts in this thread. As I thought. A Vick hatin thread.

First of all why isn't this thread comparing the 2008 team to the 1998 team? Vick.

If it's Vick why not compare them to the 2002 team? Cause the 2002 team was better than the 2008 team and it was led by....Vick. :rolleyes:

Secondly, you can easily argue that the 2004 was better than the 2008 team. Why? They went to the NFCCG. They were a top 10 run defense. The 2008 run defense is a joke. Also they were the #1 rushing team. Not the fifth rated rushing team. Thirdly, the special teams were head and shoulders above the 2008 special teams.

The 2004 team did what you're supposed to do better than the 2008 team. Run ball. Stop run. Win turnover battle and play good special teams.

This thread is emotionally driven and totally non-objective. No facts. Only "this team plays as a unit". LOL.

The Vick hatin on this board will never stop. Let it go people. Vick is gone.

The 2004 team was all smoke and mirrors and gimmicks

Running QB that was not consistent in the pass game

RB's Dunn and Duckett greatly benefited from a running QB

O-Line was weak and ran the cut block gimmick which sucked at pass blocking

Defense was inconsistent and weak when it counted

As we saw in 2005 and 2006 that team was a house of cards waiting to fall.

Excellent post. I agree with everything plus the NFC was bad that year. We weren't that good in 2004. We did lose 55-10 (?) to KC in 2004 and good teams don't get destroyed like that in any game.

Interesting question. Before I answer it I have a question. Why not compare this team to the 1998 Falcons? Is this some sort of Vick thing? If it is you should compare the 2008 team to the 2002 team when Vick played in his first year as a starter. I think that team may have been better than this team.

It's not being compared to the 1998 team because that team was the greatest team in Falcons history. I remember that year well and I thought every Sunday we were going to beat our opponent by 20 points.

As for the 2008 vs. 2002, it's hard to say which team was better. Vick was new and fresh and a lot of teams probably didn't catch on to him yet. Vick really inspired our entire team with his electricity. We weren't that good in 2002, but I feel the team thought they had a chance against any team.

The Vick hatin on this board will never stop.

Not true. Eventually we will all die and a new batch of fans will be around that didn't have to live in the vick era and they won't care. But as long as people like me are around... you betcha. But I recognize that until we get to the championship game and beyond those of you who pine for the dog killah will still have a little stick to hold over us.

I also don't see the point in loving the 2004 team more. They aren't here. And considering how 2005, 2006, and 2007 went I am glad.

Excellent post. I agree with everything plus the NFC was bad that year. We weren't that good in 2004. We did lose 55-10 (?) to KC in 2004 and good teams don't get destroyed like that in any game.

It's not being compared to the 1998 team because that team was the greatest team in Falcons history. I remember that year well and I thought every Sunday we were going to beat our opponent by 20 points.

As for the 2008 vs. 2002, it's hard to say which team was better. Vick was new and fresh and a lot of teams probably didn't catch on to him yet. Vick really inspired our entire team with his electricity. We weren't that good in 2002, but I feel the team thought they had a chance against any team.

What? The 2002 team was better than the 2004 and 2008 team.

Also I can't believe you guys are saying our schedule now is tougher than in 2004. Just look at our 2008 NFC wins:

GB - LMAO

MIN - Fumblitis

CHI - LMAO

TB - LMAO

CAR - good but not dominant. Won a lot of games they could have easily lost.

NO - will likely be 8-8. No run game. No defense.

DET - LMAO

Stop the dam Vick hatin folks. This is 2008 going on 2009. Vick is gone. Be objective. Don't hate.

First of all why isn't this thread comparing the 2008 team to the 1998 team? Vick.

If it's Vick why not compare them to the 2002 team? Cause the 2002 team was better than the 2008 team and it was led by....Vick. :rolleyes:

Secondly, you can easily argue that the 2004 was better than the 2008 team. Why? They went to the NFCCG. They were a top 10 run defense. The 2008 run defense is a joke. Also they were the #1 rushing team. Not the fifth rated rushing team. Thirdly, the special teams were head and shoulders above the 2008 special teams.

I really don't think this is a Vick hating thread. I think it's being compared to 2004 because we'll be 11-5 again.

Like I said in my previous post, there is no comparing the 1998 to any Falcons team. And as you point out, the better comparison is to the 2002 team. I think the 2002 team was better than the 2004 team. Comparing 2008 vs 2002 is a good debate.

I'll probably say 2008 just because 2008 is right now, but we'll have to wait a couple of months to really debate it.

What? The 2002 team was better than the 2004 and 2008 team.

Also I can't believe you guys are saying our schedule now is tougher than in 2004. Just look at our 2008 NFC wins:

GB - LMAO

MIN - Fumblitis

CHI - LMAO

TB - LMAO

DET - LMAO

Stop the dam Vick hatin folks. This is 2008 going on 2009. Vick is gone. Be objective. Don't hate.

Where in the world did you get that I'm hating on Vick?

GB - LMAO

MIN - Fumblitis

CHI - LMAO

TB - LMAO

DET - LMAO

I see one bad team on that list. I wouldn't LMAO at TB or CHI because we SQUEAKED by both of those teams at home. NO has the #1 offense in the NFL. If MIN didn't fumble 7 times we would've lost that game and CAR was a missed FG away from beating the best team in the NFL on their turf.

In 2004 the NFC was putrid. This year is the best the NFC has been in 10 years.

OK I just went back and read the posts in this thread. As I thought. A Vick hatin thread.

The 2004 team did what you're supposed to do better than the 2008 team. Run ball. Stop run. Win turnover battle and play good special teams.

This thread is emotionally driven and totally non-objective. No facts. Only "this team plays as a unit". LOL.

The Vick hatin on this board will never stop. Let it go people. Vick is gone.

I agree 100 percent. I wish people would let Vick go. 1998 ***** on the 2008 team. And the 2002 team is better than the 08 team.

I agree 100 percent. I wish people would let Vick go. 1998 ***** on the 2008 team. And the 2002 team is better than the 08 team.

Again...I don't see why anyone would think this is a Vick thread. Are you guys just over sensitive or am I naive? This is just a thread about this team and our last team that made the playoffs.

Everyone knows that the 1998 team ***** on every Falcons team and the 2002 vs. 2008 team is a great debate, but it must wait until this season is over.

Right now 2004, they went to the NFC Championship game, until this team goes further or at least equals that performance I'll stick with 2004.

Obviously this team has more potential than 2004 but my point stands.

gotta agree with this. And our defense was a lot better then, than it is now. Kerney in his prime, rod coleman having a breakout year, brady smith on the other side with jasper in the middle. Brooking in his prime, chris draft and matt stewart. D hall as a rookie with mathis at the nickel and webster on the other side. and ofcourse, my boy bryan scott at safety with cory hall. o ya and jay feely. Gotta love it.

From the first preseason game against the Ravens(which we lost) i knew we had something special. Jamal Lewis just came off his best year ever and we held him to under 2 yards per carry. It was something special to watch and I think you have to say they are the second best Falcons team ever, only behind the 98 team. Unless ofcourse, we can get to the big game this year :).

I really don't think this is a Vick hating thread.
Are you sure? I'm not.
I think it's being compared to 2004 because we'll be 11-5 again.
We're 10-5 my man. You posting up Ram bulletin board material?
Like I said in my previous post, there is no comparing the 1998 to any Falcons team. And as you point out, the better comparison is to the 2002 team. I think the 2002 team was better than the 2004 team. Comparing 2008 vs 2002 is a good debate.
I suggest you do a little more research. The 2002 team was better than the 2004 and 2008 teams. They could run the ball, stop the run, had a better TO ratio and played way better special teams. They also won a playoff road game. The 2008 team hasn't even played a playoff game yet but they're a lock? Why?
I'll probably say 2008 just because 2008 is right now, but we'll have to wait a couple of months to really debate it.
Exactly. The 2008 team is TBD. They could lose to the Rams Sunday and get handled by ARI the next week or they could rip the Rams and run the table in the playoffs. This thread is premature and every poster who handed it to the 2008 team already is dead as WRONG!

I like this team better. Hopefully we can make it to where we made it then, but 2004 was maybe the easiest year to EVER have played in the NFC. I think this 2008 team would have skated to a 14-2 record that year.

Also, I feel like we've been in every game this year. That there is no quit in this team. And I'm sorry, but that 56-10 *** beating that KC handed us in 2004 still embarasses me as a fan.

BTW. I agree with north falcon. I think 2002 was better than 04. I loved how that team faught. And I think that was Michael Vick's only truely transcendent year.

I suggest you do a little more research. The 2002 team was better than the 2004 and 2008 teams. They could run the ball, stop the run, had a better TO ratio and played way better special teams. They also won a playoff road game. The 2008 team hasn't even played a playoff game yet but they're a lock? Why?

I don't need to do research, I remember all of those years. I agree with you that 2002 was better than 2004 and we'll have to wait and see about 2008.

rly? cuz we one a game and a half more in 2004 than 2002 and got to the nfc title game. And our defense was a lot better in 04 I think. And our run game was better.

When I compare 2004 to 2002 I think about a couple of things

I know about the NFCCG but I just think the NFC was so bad that year. Plus we got crushed 55-10 against KC. Good teams aren't supposed to get destroyed like that.

When I think about 2002, I think about 2 games. Obviously the wild card game in GB, but the other game that really stands out was the game in Pittsburgh. It ended in a tie, but I think we were down by 17 in the 4th quarter against a really good team. That game showed that the Falcons had a lot of character.

1998. Both 2004 and 2008 are very exciting but I think this years team is a bit more exciting just because of Matt Ryan came out of no where. As a rookie I mean. You never see this. Mike was exciting but he couldn't keep great defenses honest like Matt can. That's why he struggled so much against the Bucs, Ravens and Eagles. He couldn't beat those talented defenses with his arm. Oddly enough he had some of his best performances against the Steelers. Anyway, Matt can beat teams with his arm when they put 8 or 9 in the box. And he's only a rookie. The excitement isn't only about this year but years to come. Truth be known, I had more confidence in the 2004 team to maybe make it to the Super Bowl because the defense was pretty good that year. I'm a bit concerned about our defense going into the playoffs but still believe because of Matt we can beat anybody on any given Sun.

OK close your eyes and think back to the 2004 team...........................................Now. Imagine them playing in 2008. They would definitely get the job done. That was Reeves' team with a new system that noone had seen. They were pretty dam good.

As far as the schedules I'm not so sure NFL 2008 is better than NFL 2004. I think there is a lot more parity in 2008 in the NFC. Look at the teams we beat this year. You could easily argue that all but one is a joke by NFL standards (GB, CHI, MIN, TB, NO, CAR, KC, DET, OAK, SD). Half of them are in the playoff hunt. Sad.

The 2004 team was #1 in the NFL running the ball with a three headed attack. They were #7 in the red zone. On top of that they were #8 against the run. This year's team is 21st against the run and has let several teams run on them.

I think we can all agree that this year's special teams are one of the worst in the league. Even the Bucs are better. The 2004 special teams were off the rip. Can somebody post that pic of the 10 Ram STers chasing Rossum?

They also had a better turnover ratio. Not to mention winning a first round ROAD playoff game. You know how hard it is to do that? They kept that NFC Championship ROAD game at 14-10 until late in the 3rd quarter.

Drop the emotions. Check the stats. Look at the tapes. Be objective. Then re-post your answer. Don't be a homer or a hater. Always be a realist.

When I compare 2004 to 2002 I think about a couple of things

I know about the NFCCG but I just think the NFC was so bad that year. Plus we got crushed 55-10 against KC. Good teams aren't supposed to get destroyed like that.

When I think about 2002, I think about 2 games. Obviously the wild card game in GB, but the other game that really stands out was the game in Pittsburgh. It ended in a tie, but I think we were down by 17 in the 4th quarter against a really good team. That game showed that the Falcons had a lot of character.

Yeah, I think the Pitt game was the game where Vick told the team: "Climb on my shoulders"

Heck. Even the playoff game we lost in 2002, they fought. Especially Vick. I loved that 02 season something serious. I'll never forget the Green Bay game, I watched it at a party with about 30 people. The whole room was just going nuts. When Vick made that escape near the sideline, I thought we were going to knock the house of it's foundation.

Are you ONE BIT serious ???????

In 2004, every big play the felon made was a BUSTED play. What a great way to build a championship team !!!!

Today...........we finally have a TRUE Championship Team, not some circus act.

If your talking to me then you didn't read what I was saying. I had more confidence in the 2004 team because of defense. That defense was much better than this defense we have right now. Better defensive line and Keon Carpender was playing out of his mind down the strech that year. My confidence had little to do with the offense even though they did lead the league in rushing that year. I also knew that their o-line was small and could not get the push they needed against great defenses. As far as this year, I have all the confidence in the world with our offense against any defense in the league but our defense has let teams stay in games or even come back from being way down all year. Even against the lowly Detroit Lions and KC Chiefs. We had huge leads on both teams and they came back only for our offense to finally put them away. Same thing against N.O. and the Panthers. Our defense plays very well in spurts and do have the capabilities of going on a great run but are yet to do so consistently. I think we will compete and have a chance to win against anyone because of Matt Ryan. I have trust in him but not much trust in this defense. I do think Abe is clutch though. A lot of his sacks have come in clutch moments.