Kroy Biermann's Progression

Scott24Falcons

As each week passes, I notice more and more improvement from Biermann. At the beginning of the season he was basically just the reserve speed-rusher. He didn't really have any pass-rush moves, and primarily had to blow right past the OT. That wasn't working.

Now it seems like Biermann is turning into a more-complete player. He's holding up pretty well against the run. And he has developed a little bit of a bull-rush (he's not a very strong DE, but I think he has been able to surprise some OTs).

I'm not sure if he'll ever become a starter or anything like that, but he is very quietly turning into a good reserve.

This was a really good pick-up for us.

If the coaches don't think highly of Anderson I think Biermann if he gets a little stronger might be the starter next year. He has improved every week and reminds me of a young Patrick Kerney. Just like Kerney he goes all out on every play and never gives up and has come oh so close in the past few weeks to having a few sacks. He has shown more than Anderson ever though about showing.

And Biermann isn't even a natural LDE. He can't stop the run as much, so a lot of times teams will take advantage of him and run the ball towards his direction. However, he brings a 'danger' to the other side of the QB opposite of Abraham, and it's starting to pay off. We desperately need a pass rusher up the middle, but still... Biermann will be a solid pass rushing DE for us in the future. He may not have the ability to start full-time for us, but you can bet that he'll be in some sort of rotation next year.

And Biermann isn't even a natural LDE. He can't stop the run as much, so a lot of times teams will take advantage of him and run the ball towards his direction. However, he brings a 'danger' to the other side of the QB opposite of Abraham, and it's starting to pay off. We desperately need a pass rusher up the middle, but still... Biermann will be a solid pass rushing DE for us in the future. He may not have the ability to start full-time for us, but you can bet that he'll be in some sort of rotation next year.

I agree about having someone in the middle to collapse the pocket. Too many times this year, especially lately, we have seen our outside guys, most noteable Abraham and Biermann, get good pressure on the QB off the edge and be oh so close to a sack only to have the QB step up in the pocket and either run or pass. The really great teams don't allow that to happen.

I agree about having someone in the middle to collapse the pocket. Too many times this year, especially lately, we have seen our outside guys, most noteable Abraham and Biermann, get good pressure on the QB off the edge and be oh so close to a sack only to have the QB step up in the pocket and either run or pass. The really great teams don't allow that to happen.

It's interesting to watch him. I thought maybe they were drafting him for the WLB backup spot, but he is actually turning out to be a legit NFL DE. An offseason of NFL nutrition and weighttraining might make all the difference next year.

The reason Biermann always has a chance is because his feet never stop. He keeps moving even when he doesnt get a good push on the OT. This is why he nearly always get to the QB even if its just a little too late. How many times have to noticed Kroy get there but the ball came out a second or two before he got there? I have noticed it many times. I have a feeling hes going to be good for us. Just watch. He has a very high upside.

Plus, he is quick off the snap.

The reason Biermann always has a chance is because his feet never stop. He keeps moving even when he doesnt get a good push on the OT. This is why he nearly always get to the QB even if its just a little too late. How many times have to noticed Kroy get there but the ball came out a second or two before he got there? I have noticed it many times. I have a feeling hes going to be good for us. Just watch. He has a very high upside.

Plus, he is quick off the snap.

And that is the complete opposite of Anderson. Once Anderson hits the blocker he just stops.

exactly. and those kinds of guys are the difference between a good dline with 3-4 quality starters and a great dline with quality starters and guys you can rotate in without a big drop-off to keep them fresh. we do that now but we dont quite have the pieces yet so our pass rush suffers from it. there were times yesterday where jackson had allllll day to throw and then other times wed bring the heat and make him run for his life. we need to establish some more consistency and adding depth along the lines like bierman is the way to do it. im happy with how he is progressing as well. good observation scott.