TE for Colorado State. Kory Sperry

I just saw him make a HUGE play in double coverage before the end of halftime for what is sure to be a crucial TD. I haven't seen or heard much of him though before seeing this game. He is 6-6 250 lbs. and is the run blocking TE that our offensive gameplan calls for , but has the athletic ability to make plays in the passing game too. He also could be available in the later rounds but I am not really sure where he is projected to go.

So what do you guys think of him? Anyone have anything to add about this player? I just took notice of him today.

He looks pretty good, what does everyone think of him. I just saw him make a HUGE play in double coverage before the end of halftime for what is sure to be a crucial TD. I haven't seen or heard much of him though before seeing this game. So? Anyone have some good info on him?

I just made a thread on this exact thing -- if you had read my mocks you would have heard of him.

http://life.atlantafalcons.com/index.php?showtopic=3810291

look at th 2nd UDFA

UDFA's will be analyzed in depth when it comes to the real deal mock, but some (10) names for now:

1) Brandon Tate (WR)/Brandon James (RB), KR/PR

2) Kory Sperry, TE -- this is probably my greatest find ever in my personal history of prospect scouting (great size, great receiver, great blocker who is physical in the run game)

I wrote that Oct. 28th

Yes but DRC dominated over there and had good combine numbers. He also performed well at the All-Star games.

Sperry didn't "dominate" although he had pretty good numbers. He is a big TE but also slow, he runs a 4.8. He is also coming off a torn ACL. If he gets invited to an All-Star game and plays well, he could go in the 5th - 7th round range.

Lol sorry that was funny. I hope you didn't mean that in a mean sense. I would like it if we got him somehow, he is blocking really well.

Even though he plays in Colorado State, don't these guys show up at the combine?

Isn't those super talented wideouts on the Texans from CSU (Anderson and the other one). They are both white.

We have the same kind of TE with Peelle and Hartsock...... why do we need another slow TE with no athleticism? If we get a TE it is either going to have to be Brandon Pettigrew, or a late round guy like Shawn Nelson. I think our main goal is to get a PASS catching TE. He doesn't have to start because we are a run team first, but we are in Dire Need for somebody to strike fear into opposing Linebackers. We won't get that done with another slow TE like you all are talking about

We have the same kind of TE with Peelle and Hartsock...... why do we need another slow TE with no athleticism? If we get a TE it is either going to have to be Brandon Pettigrew, or a late round guy like Shawn Nelson. I think our main goal is to get a PASS catching TE. He doesn't have to start because we are a run team first, but we are in Dire Need for somebody to strike fear into opposing Linebackers. We won't get that done with another slow TE like you all are talking about

Yeah, really smart idea ... our TEs are blockers and then we substitute a pass catcher in, so everybody knows what kind of play is coming up. What we need is a good blocker with good hands, the rest is something for the staff to coach up. But what we don't need is a non-blocking TE like Nelson. For Nelson to work out in our system he'd have to add at least 15lbs, which means he would lose speed and end up being like Peele, without the blocking skills.

But if you don't get a complete TE out of the draft, it will always take time to coach him up, so why spend a early pick on someone who'd have to add a lot of weight to be a average blocker, not knowing how fast he'll be then!?

Brandon Pettigrew is the only TE I'd consider taking this draft, out of the prospects in the first 5 rounds, since he's the only one close to being complete. I think he was playing at 270lbs lately, which is a good weight for a TE in our system.

That said, I don't really want a TE in round 1 ... we have bigger problems than the offensive side of the ball, and I'm sure Ryan will get the ball to Jenkins, Douglas and Peele more frequent next season, after getting them to work out with him all off-season long. (and hearing how he works every week, I'm pretty sure he won't take much of a break before he starts working out for next season)

Yeah, really smart idea ... our TEs are blockers and then we substitute a pass catcher in, so everybody knows what kind of play is coming up. What we need is a good blocker with good hands, the rest is something for the staff to coach up. But what we don't need is a non-blocking TE like Nelson. For Nelson to work out in our system he'd have to add at least 15lbs, which means he would lose speed and end up being like Peele, without the blocking skills.

But if you don't get a complete TE out of the draft, it will always take time to coach him up, so why spend a early pick on someone who'd have to add a lot of weight to be a average blocker, not knowing how fast he'll be then!?

Brandon Pettigrew is the only TE I'd consider taking this draft, out of the prospects in the first 5 rounds, since he's the only one close to being complete. I think he was playing at 270lbs lately, which is a good weight for a TE in our system.

That said, I don't really want a TE in round 1 ... we have bigger problems than the offensive side of the ball, and I'm sure Ryan will get the ball to Jenkins, Douglas and Peele more frequent next season, after getting them to work out with him all off-season long. (and hearing how he works every week, I'm pretty sure he won't take much of a break before he starts working out for next season)

I picture your argument as in the same category as Norwood. Every time Norwood is in the game, he usually gets the ball. We mix it up sometimes, but when he takes the field, It is usually a clue that he will be involved in some way.

The Difference between Norwood and What Shawn Nelson would be in our offense is that we use multiple TE's a lot. Why can't Nelson be that other TE instead of Jason Rader or Hartsock? We don't have to run in his direction if that is not his strong point.

We went after Tony Gonzalez who is not the best Blocker. We offered a 2nd round pick for him. We obviously have a huge whole in the middle of our offense because if you watch Ryan, nearly all of his passes are going to the sideline.

Tell me ONE good reason other than depth, to go after another good blocking TE. WE HAVE ENOUGH!!! We need someody who will create mismatches, get downfield and make some catches for us. None of our TE's are capable of doing that on a consistent basis right now.

Kory Sperry is a very good all-around TE.

He blocked well all game and he made an incredible CATCH, not block, with double coverage draped all over him for a TD. He is coming back from an injury otherwise he would be talked about by people other than me.

Brandon Pettigrew and Kory Sperry have the same speed - both are 4.8 to 4.75 40 guys - so I don't see your point there. Shawn Nelson is also a guy I would not spend a pick on.

1) Pettigrew

2) Mandeville

3) Drew

those are the only 3 guys I'd spend a draft pick on going early-mid-late

The difference is ... Norwood can run up the middle and Norwood is a decent blocker (Turner is much better, but Norwood is not a liability), while Nelson is a liability when it comes to blocking DEs/OLBs or even blitzing Safeties. We either need a complete TE, or time to coach someone up, but if you go for the "coach him up" version, a 3rd or 4t rounder for Nelson would be a wasted pick ... you can get athletic TEs with upside in the later rounds too. You can use the 3rd/4t rounder to get some help on the defensive side of the ball, where it's really needed.

This is the first season we run this offense, Ryan is in his first year, so it's clear he has a favorite target and it's obvious that there are holes in our offense, but I'd bet everything that this will change (even with the players we have now) after the offseason, because Ryan will "force" the WRs and TEs to come and work with him as much as possible, to get rid of these holes. This offense looks pretty impressive now, but it will look even better once Ryan has the same confidence in all of his "targets".

Edit: Just watched the tape of the New Mexico Bowl, and I like what I see from Sperry, with good coaching he might make a good NFL TE.

Kory Sperry is a very good all-around TE.

He blocked well all game and he made an incredible CATCH, not block, with double coverage draped all over him for a TD. He is coming back from an injury otherwise he would be talked about by people other than me.

Brandon Pettigrew and Kory Sperry have the same speed - both are 4.8 to 4.75 40 guys - so I don't see your point there. Shawn Nelson is also a guy I would not spend a pick on.

1) Pettigrew

2) Mandeville

3) Drew

those are the only 3 guys I'd spend a draft pick on going early-mid-late

one catch an you are sold on a guy....... What has he done all year?

Nobody has answered my question about why went after Tony Gonzalez though. He is not the best Blocker..... that shows me that we are looking for more of a pass catcher than a blocker this offseason.

We do not need a TE if we go get another guy who just excels at blocking and is terrible as a receiver. we might as well coach up Zinger, and Rader if we are going to do that.

We already have:

Hartsock, Rader, & Peele. Why do we need to add another Blocking TE when we have 3 already? Who cares if Nelson doesn't block that well..... he brings something to the table that none of our other TE's can do.

The difference is ... Norwood can run up the middle and Norwood is a decent blocker (Turner is much better, but Norwood is not a liability), while Nelson is a liability when it comes to blocking DEs/OLBs or even blitzing Safeties. We either need a complete TE, or time to coach someone up, but if you go for the "coach him up" version, a 3rd or 4t rounder for Nelson would be a wasted pick ... you can get athletic TEs with upside in the later rounds too. You can use the 3rd/4t rounder to get some help on the defensive side of the ball, where it's really needed.

This is the first season we run this offense, Ryan is in his first year, so it's clear he has a favorite target and it's obvious that there are holes in our offense, but I'd bet everything that this will change (even with the players we have now) after the offseason, because Ryan will "force" the WRs and TEs to come and work with him as much as possible, to get rid of these holes. This offense looks pretty impressive now, but it will look even better once Ryan has the same confidence in all of his "targets".

Edit: Just watched the tape of the New Mexico Bowl, and I like what I see from Sperry, with good coaching he might make a good NFL TE.

Norwood hardly ever runs between the Tackles. He is always getting pitches or something to get him out on the edge.

I expect for us to us our first 3 picks on the defensive side of the ball (Plus I see us picking up a few players in FA), but we HAVE to keep growing on offense.

I would definitely pass on Nelson in the 3rd, but he has too much talent to pass on in the 4th. Even if we have to "coach him up". EVERY player has to be "coached up" coming out of college, ESPECIALLY in the 4th round (offensively or Defensively). We need a TE who puts fear into opposing teams and Nelson would definitely do that.

I would definitely pass on Nelson in the 3rd, but he has too much talent to pass on in the 4th. Even if we have to "coach him up". EVERY player has to be "coached up" coming out of college, ESPECIALLY in the 4th round (offensively or Defensively). We need a TE who puts fear into opposing teams and Nelson would definitely do that.

Can't see many teams "fear" Nelson ... he's not even that good a catching TE. Speed isn't everything, just because 2-3 teams have speedy TEs it doesn't mean that this is the way to go. I'd rather have a possession-type of receiving-TE, and the names "The Dirty Bird" mentioned fit that way better. If Nelson adds 15lbs or more to get into a decent range concerning blocking-weight, he won't be much faster than these guys, so I wouldn't waste a mid-round pick on a TE.

But that's my philosophy ... just like I had many discussions with "The Dirty Bird" about Mays/Moore, because I wouldn't draft safeties in the early or mid first round.

For me, if we get a TE, it should either be Pettigrew or somebody in Round 7 or as UDFA (I just don't like most mid-round TEs, because they're just bad-blocking WRs that outgrew their position).

Can't see many teams "fear" Nelson ... he's not even that good a catching TE. Speed isn't everything, just because 2-3 teams have speedy TEs it doesn't mean that this is the way to go. I'd rather have a possession-type of receiving-TE, and the names "The Dirty Bird" mentioned fit that way better. If Nelson adds 15lbs or more to get into a decent range concerning blocking-weight, he won't be much faster than these guys, so I wouldn't waste a mid-round pick on a TE.

But that's my philosophy ... just like I had many discussions with "The Dirty Bird" about Mays/Moore, because I wouldn't draft safeties in the early or mid first round.

For me, if we get a TE, it should either be Pettigrew or somebody in Round 7 or as UDFA (I just don't like most mid-round TEs, because they're just bad-blocking WRs that outgrew their position).

you got to be kidding me about Nelson not being able to catch. Speed has an affect in about 85% of the game today. If you don't have speed you usually don't make plays.

I do not think that he needs to Add any weight....... What he needs to do is work on his technique and refining his blocking skills, but we really wouldn't be asking him to block much.

m

He is the type of guy that comes in on 2nd and 3rd downs...... NOT a starter. If he was a starter, then he definitely would have to work on his blocking skills.

What would a 7th round blocking type TE do for us next year?..... Nothing.

The reason he'll be a UDFA?

Stats Overview Receiving Rushing Fumbles

YEAR REC YDS AVG LNG TD ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST

2004 15 225 15.0 33 2 0 0 0.0 0 1 0 0

2005 42 547 13.0 43 4 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

2006 36 380 10.6 53 5 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

2007 10 119 11.9 37 3 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0

2008 37 470 12.7 33 5 1 6 6.0 6 0 0 0

Projected 37 470 12.7 33 5 1 6 6.0 6 0 0 0

He's not a huge name at TE, but he looks to have some talent. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that he makes himself appear to be a thug, wearing the bandanna and the face paint like Patrick "Madman" Kelly, the LB in A y Given Sunday.

one catch an you are sold on a guy....... What has he done all year?

Nobody has answered my question about why went after Tony Gonzalez though. He is not the best Blocker..... that shows me that we are looking for more of a pass catcher than a blocker this offseason.

We do not need a TE if we go get another guy who just excels at blocking and is terrible as a receiver. we might as well coach up Zinger, and Rader if we are going to do that.

We already have:

Hartsock, Rader, & Peele. Why do we need to add another Blocking TE when we have 3 already? Who cares if Nelson doesn't block that well..... he brings something to the table that none of our other TE's can do.

Sorry but you just sound stupid. I first said we should get Sperry in October way before the Bowl Game and far before anyone else mentioned him. This was because Sperry imo is an all-around TE that can catch and block.

Last year in only 2 games (because of a season ending injury) he had 119 receiving yards and 3 TDs.

This year through the whole season he had 470 receving yards and 5 TDs. As a sophomore he had 380 receiving yards and 5 TDs.

Don't say he can't catch or be a weapon in the passing game. And I wouldn't talk about things I know nothing about either, just a suggestion.

Sorry but you just sound stupid. I first said we should get Sperry in October way before the Bowl Game and far before anyone else mentioned him. This was because Sperry imo is an all-around TE that can catch and block.

Last year in only 2 games (because of a season ending injury) he had 119 receiving yards and 3 TDs.

This year through the whole season he had 470 receving yards and 5 TDs. As a sophomore he had 380 receiving yards and 5 TDs.

Don't say he can't catch or be a weapon in the passing game. And I wouldn't talk about things I know nothing about either, just a suggestion.

Waste of time, to some people TEs are only "pass catching TEs" if they run the 40 in 4.5 or less ... they haven't heard of the nice zone 5-15 yards away from the LoS in the middle of the field, where you're allowed to catch passes too. =)

Waste of time, to some people TEs are only "pass catching TEs" if they run the 40 in 4.5 or less ... they haven't heard of the nice zone 5-15 yards away from the LoS in the middle of the field, where you're allowed to catch passes too. =)

I never said that a guy has to be fast to be a "Pass catching TE". I am just saying that Shawn Nelson could be a GREAT TE for us because of his size and abilities.

Most of the knock on him is that he can't block. I am watching the Southern Miss vs. Troy game right now and I am VERY impressed with his blocking. He is moving his man consistently and he would definitely NOT be a liability when it comes to blocking.

He moves like a Wide Receiver and has some good hands. He will create so many mismatches that it would almost be unfair to put him out there against Linebackers.

I hope you guys get to see him block because he sure is A LOT better than what you all are thinking.

So what do you think this guy could be for us? a Starter? 2nd String? what? Tell me something that separates him for Hartsock & Peele