Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

womfalcs3

MLB 09: The Show (PS3) First Look

181 posts in this topic

http://sports.espn.go.com/videogames/news/story?id=3775962

You can read about the feature upgrades in the article. Visually, they've added better lighting (varying times of day too. You can play at 4 PM, and as the game progresses, you'll see the light change as if the Sun is really setting), and more animation. They've also dramatically improved the crowds. Here are some screens:

mlb09_gallery_0_800x450.jpg

mlb09_gallery_1_800x450.jpg

mlb09_gallery_2_800x450.jpg

mlb09_gallery_3_800x450.jpg

mlb09_gallery_4_800x450.jpg

Yeah, this game is the ONLY reason I might buy a PS3. The 2k baseball series BLOW.

Btw...I see that's the new Yankee stadium in the last screenshot. I sure hope it looks nicer than that...Reminds me of Shea Stadium.

Yeah, this game is the ONLY reason I might buy a PS3. The 2k baseball series BLOW.

Btw...I see that's the new Yankee stadium in the last screenshot. I sure hope it looks nicer than that...Reminds me of Shea Stadium.

It was the main reason I purchased my PS3 2 years ago. Blu-Ray was another solid reason as well.

Is this THE Baseball game to get?

Hands down in my opinion.

after playing both 2k on the 360 and this on the ps3..yes, its that much better. worth getting a ps3 for? don't know about that.....buy if you have a ps3 and like basbeball games just even a little...a definite buy.

after playing both 2k on the 360 and this on the ps3..yes, its that much better. worth getting a ps3 for? don't know about that.....buy if you have a ps3 and like basbeball games just even a little...a definite buy.

Well, even though I play the ish out of Madden, I gotta say that the game that I most play during the year is whatever baseball I get to buy (mainly because the season is on it's way during summer). And a Blu-Ray player wouldn't hurt. If I get enough green for christmas and find nothing better to buy I might just do it.

yeah if you're into watching alot of dvds and have a HDTV, blu-ray part is worth it for sure. I got 10 blu-rays and counting, all very awesome looking, especially the dark knight where they filmed with IMAX cameras.

I cant wait for this, the 08 version was the reason I got a PS3 instead of a 360. It is one of the best baseball games ive ever player, right up there with the last version of MVP.

Hopefully they fix the issue with your number in RTTS. If someone on your new team has your number it gives you the next available number (one higher) and you are stuck with that number for the rest of your career, unless someone else on a new team has it, then you go up again. It is an easy fix, they should let you be able to change your number anytime.

And they still don't have the vulcan changeup in the game but they have the gyro ball? I bet they **** up the gyro ball and make it some ridiculous breaking ball for Daisuke even though he doesnt throw it and a gyro ball goes straight.

PlayStation Blog post about it...

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/12/22/...-cheer-in-game/

Additionally, have you ever screamed at your TV at a bad (or good) play when engaged in a sports game? Well now your voice can be heard IN THE GAME by allowing users to record their own fan chants and yells and integrate them seamlessly into the ambient crowd noise. It’ll sound like you’re really there.

This game looks even better than MLB 08, which is awesome. So, when is it due out? Is there a specific date as of now?

I believe GameStop has it listed for a 3/3/09 release. I got the game the weekend before release last year at a local Wal-Mart. Hope to do the same this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/videogames/news/story?id=3775962

You can read about the feature upgrades in the article. Visually, they've added better lighting (varying times of day too. You can play at 4 PM, and as the game progresses, you'll see the light change as if the Sun is really setting), and more animation. They've also dramatically improved the crowds. Here are some screens:

mlb09_gallery_0_800x450.jpg

mlb09_gallery_1_800x450.jpg

mlb09_gallery_2_800x450.jpg

mlb09_gallery_3_800x450.jpg

mlb09_gallery_4_800x450.jpg

Wow. That is awesome. I can't believe they actually have batting practice now. That would be sweet as ****. That crowd shot looks so **** real. I thought it was a real game there for a sec.

I cant wait for this, the 08 version was the reason I got a PS3 instead of a 360. It is one of the best baseball games ive ever player, right up there with the last version of MVP.

Hopefully they fix the issue with your number in RTTS. If someone on your new team has your number it gives you the next available number (one higher) and you are stuck with that number for the rest of your career, unless someone else on a new team has it, then you go up again. It is an easy fix, they should let you be able to change your number anytime.

And they still don't have the vulcan changeup in the game but they have the gyro ball? I bet they **** up the gyro ball and make it some ridiculous breaking ball for Daisuke even though he doesnt throw it and a gyro ball goes straight.

Yeah I hate that they won't let you change anything about your player during RTTS and that anytime a new player comes to ANY team if a player on that team already has the number their number gets changed and not the new player on the new team. That just sucks. I don't see why they can't let you change things about your players. I would like to be able to change my pants if I go into a slump like real players do.

That sounds great.

And I have been playing The Show since 2006 and love it. Last year got a PS3 and got The Show and was amazed at how much better the graphics were.

Franchise 2.0

Sony has added a lot of little details that the hard-core MLB fans have been shouting for, including salary arbitration, waiver transactions, September call-ups, and the 40-man roster. Player personality will also come into play as gamers try to juggle the needs of the franchise versus the needs of their star players.

I have been begging for this stuff for a long time. :) I thought over the past couple of years franchise mode had been forgotten about because it's been basically the same since I started playing the game in 2006.

You can also adjust your personal rituals, swings even emotions as you create Mini-You.

That sounds cool too. I would love to copy what Martin Prado does. :lol: Not really but you get the idea.

I hope they fix how the draft works on here. The further you get into your franchise the fewer players there are for the draft. It sucks that sometimes you can only draft 2 players before they run out. Hopefully that is fixed and hopefully they don't make them as good. It's ridiculous how a player can go straight from the draft to being Albert Pujols instantly.

MLB 09 The Show - Franchise Mode Enhancements

Posted by Kolbe Launchbaugh // Senior Designer, MLB 09 The Show

Hey everyone - MLB FE team here to bring you the first installment of the MLB 09 The Show blogs. For this entry, we’ll be talking about some of the details that have gone into the Franchise mode enhancements.

When we set out this year’s plan, one of our goals was to blow out the personnel aspects of the Franchise experience. Starting with the beginning of spring training, the rosters you will carry into spring will be those of their real-life counterpart, the long awaited 40-man rosters. Now you will have to manage your Spring Training roster a little more carefully to ensure your young players get the looks they need.

Moving on to the regular season, you will now be dealing with many of the various roster-related items all GMs have to deal with. You will be in control of designating players for assignment, waiver transactions, handling Minor League options, and managing your 40-man roster. Once in June, you will have the Amateur Draft to participate in. Along with drafting players, the Amateur Draft also includes Supplemental picks for those teams that failed to re-sign Type A or Type B free agents in the offseason.

Once your season hits September, your 25-man roster will expand to the full 40-man where you will then have to decide who get’s the call and who doesn’t. If your Franchise is successful enough to make the playoffs, you will have to manage your rosters accordingly, and will only be able to replace players on the roster between series.

The Offseason is where the real fun starts. We’ve changed the Offseason system so that instead of traveling from menu to menu, going in and out of various screens, now all of your responsibilities can be found within the schedule. There are several important dates for you to be aware of in order to ensure your rosters are setup for the next season.

The 15th day of the offseason marks the end of exclusive free agent negotiating.

November 20th is the final day to align your 40-man roster in order to protect your players from the Rule 5 draft.

December 1st is the final day to offer arbitration to eligible players, or to offer any Type A or Type B free agent compensation.

December 7th is the deadline for any free agents offered arbitration to accept or decline the offer. If a player accepts the offer, they will go back on your roster. If they decline, they will become a free agent and are allowed to sign with any team.

Between 12/5 and 12/12, the Rule 5 Draft takes place.

December 12th is the deadline to tender contracts to players or they will become free agents.

Arbitration hearings take place in early February.

After 2/15, any player with less than 3 years can have their contract renewed if they remain unsigned.

As you can see, a lot of focus has been placed on bringing increased depth to roster and team management within Franchise mode. But these enhancements aren’t limited to only Franchise mode, and the same depth can be found in Season and Road To The Show modes.

- Kolbe Launchbaugh and Aaron Luke

All I can say is that it's about **** time. I mean seriously. It took them long enough to put this stuff into video games. I have been begging for this stuff. I am now so pumped. :)

YES! You can finally pick your uniform in franchise mode. It's about time.

Will we be able to choose our own uniforms in franchise and season mode? i”m an Expos fan and I have to restart the ps3 20 times to get a team with the Expos uniform. mostly I give up and end up playing with the Nationals and having lost our beloved Expos to Washington the contradiction is eerie. Please HELP.

Kolbe Launchbaugh replied on January 13, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Yep, you’ll be able to select your jersey in Season and Franchise this year.