UGA DC-why not John Chavis?

tikibar

Why not plug in John Chavis immediately? Think TN didn't have issues trying to make stops with that horrid O this year? This guy would seem to be an immediate upgrade over Martinez, who's statistically gotten worse every year.

I realize Richt said there would be no staff changes; however, he said this prior to having such a proven DC available. Curious to see what others think.

BVG was not better than Chavis.

I think Chavis would be a great hire for UGA...No offense, but I hope yall don't get him.

Got any stats for us on Chavis to prove it? I'm still hoping to see the BVG v Martinez staggering stats that were posted earlier this year.

I don't think you have to worry about us getting him. Richt is a pretty honorable guy-doubt we'd see him renege on his 'no staff changes' statement. I think his kind nature is his downfall in a way...protecting the leader of one of the worst defenses in many years w/o explanation is Jim Mora-esque in the way he defended his friend (and horrific OC) Greg Knapp. I really hate to mention Mora and Richt in the same sentence; it's very difficult to criticize Richt's performance, but there's no way to defend the fact that Willie Martinez is on a very ugly tangent of consistently worsening performance.

While I'd like to see Chavis's stats, I don't need to know much more than he'd be a significant upgrade over someone who's getting worse and worse at his job every year.

Chavis was in the top 3 in the SEC in defense 9 out of his 14 years. His defense was the reason we won the 1998 national championship.

Van Gorder finished top 15 in the country 4 times and top 10 3 times while he was at UGA. The only thing Chavis has on him is tenure and a NC which is a team effort not 1 sided.

Chavis was in the top 3 in the SEC in defense 9 out of his 14 years. His defense was the reason we won the 1998 national championship.

Good enough for me. It can be argued that Willie Martinez's defense kept UGA out of contention for a national championship.

Here's to Kiffin serving as a downgrade for TN-time will tell.

Van Gorder finished top 15 in the country 4 times and top 10 3 times while he was at UGA. The only thing Chavis has on him is tenure and a NC which is a team effort not 1 sided.

He was DC for 4 years. They were 4 good years, but doing it over 14 years in the SEC is much more impressive.

Got any stats for us on Chavis to prove it? I'm still hoping to see the BVG v Martinez staggering stats that were posted earlier this year.

I don't think you have to worry about us getting him. Richt is a pretty honorable guy-doubt we'd see him renege on his 'no staff changes' statement. I think his kind nature is his downfall in a way...protecting the leader of one of the worst defenses in many years w/o explanation is Jim Mora-esque in the way he defended his friend (and horrific OC) Greg Knapp. I really hate to mention Mora and Richt in the same sentence; it's very difficult to criticize Richt's performance, but there's no way to defend the fact that Willie Martinez is on a very ugly tangent of consistently worsening performance.

While I'd like to see Chavis's stats, I don't need to know much more than he'd be a significant upgrade over someone who's getting worse and worse at his job every year.

I was the one that posted that stat tiki. Give me a minute and ill post it again in this thread

Here ya go:

Some one posted a very interesting stat about the Dawgs defense since 2001 on Dawgpost:

2001 19.0 points per game (no 30 point allowed games) 12 games

2002 16.3 points per game (no 30 point games allowed) 14 games

2003 14.5 points per game (34 to LSU) 14 games

2004 16.5 points per game (no 30 point games allowed) 12 games

BVG 1 30+ point game allowed in 52 games

2005 16.4 points per game (31 AU, 38 WVU) 13 games

2006 17.6 points per game (51 UT) 13 games

2007 20.2 points per game (35 UT, 30 UF, 34 Troy) 13 games

2008 23.4 points per game (41 Bama, 38 LSU, 49 UF) 9 games so far

CWM 9 30+ point games allowed in 48 games

Here ya go:

Some one posted a very interesting stat about the Dawgs defense since 2001 on Dawgpost:

It's up to 25.58 through 12 games for 2008.... And also Tech hung 40 on us so there's another 30+ making 10 total.

Here ya go:

Thank you freaky-that even excludes the Tech game. No better way to show continuous UNimprovement. I just don't see how it's possible to defend Willie Martinez, especially when you've got a guy in John Chavis who'd be hungry to show TN they made a mistake not retaining him. Not to mention the guy's a proven winner at what he does. Martinez has shown all he needs to show me what he's capable of...excuses for injured players and inability to overcome it.

Thank you freaky-that even excludes the Tech game. No better way to show continuous UNimprovement. I just don't see how it's possible to defend Willie Martinez, especially when you've got a guy in John Chavis who'd be hungry to show TN they made a mistake not retaining him. Not to mention the guy's a proven winner at what he does. Martinez has shown all he needs to show me what he's capable of...excuses for injured players and inability to overcome it.

Pit will have something no doubt...and I'm sure he'll mention how practices are getting tougher and more intense...showing us the ship is about to be righted.

Pit will have something no doubt...and I'm sure he'll mention how practices are getting tougher and more intense...showing us the ship is about to be righted.

Here's to hoping Auburn's mismanagement of its program continues...please hire Willie Martinez-he is hot garbage at best. No sugar coating it-stats/facts don't lie.

Yuck-please get this loser off our staff somehow...

Here's to hoping Auburn's mismanagement of its program continues...please hire Willie Martinez-he is hot garbage at best. No sugar coating it-stats/facts don't lie.

Yuck-please get this loser off our staff somehow...

I remember ripping into Neil Callaway and getting the same treatment I'm getting now. Everyone is all kinds of stoked since UAB did us a favor and we hired Searels who showed just how shoddy an o-line coach Callaway was. It'll be nice when Martinez goes the way of the Dodo and we can get a real DC.

I remember ripping into Neil Callaway and getting the same treatment I'm getting now. Everyone is all kinds of stoked since UAB did us a favor and we hired Searels who showed just how shoddy an o-line coach Callaway was. It'll be nice when Martinez goes the way of the Dodo and we can get a real DC.

i couldn't stand callaway and hated him for years.. he was the reason we had all those injured olinemen because of his idiotic training technique.. thanks to him we lost player after player to shoulder injuries using those sleds..

i couldn't stand callaway and hated him for years.. he was the reason we had all those injured olinemen because of his idiotic training technique.. thanks to him we lost player after player to shoulder injuries using those sleds..

Who all did we lose to that contraption? Brock, Miller, and who else McKinney?

Who all did we lose to that contraption? Brock, Miller, and who else McKinney?

i don't remember the complete list.. i know i posted it here before, but it was about 5 to 6 players at least. he did an old sled training and we lost guy after guy to career ending shoulder injuries. plus his oline's were always inconsistent as a unit.

i don't remember the complete list.. i know i posted it here before, but it was about 5 to 6 players at least. he did an old sled training and we lost guy after guy to career ending shoulder injuries. plus his oline's were always inconsistent as a unit.

Yeah he had the ******** split tackle / tight tackle lineup where'd they'd flip positions based on the defense. I never played line but it would seem like it would be difficult to get in a groove being moved back and forth all the time.