Some Negatives I see with the play calling !

SWIFT HITTER

1- We do not utulize the middle of the field 10-20 yards ..Its rare we see any route being ran in the middle of the football field..Im not sure if Ryan is just comfortable with outside routes and sees the defense better and knows the coverage on the outside

2- No screens ?? We have never been a great screen run team but now we dont even try any ..No clue why ..A screen pass is just as good as turner run for 3 yards up the middle and might be even better cause less wear and tear on Turner and to get the ball to Norwood with blockers in front of him and space can on benefit us ..or how about a Wr screen with Douglas in front

3-Long ball...take shots...I have seen 1 long ball all season vs the Chiefs..Even if its incomplete it still benefits us so a defense doesnt continue to stack 9 men in the box..If we dont take any shots they will continue to do so

4- we play sometimes to hold onto leads instead of being aggresive with the play calling..

5- Defense ( bend dont break ) need to see some pass rush generate from blitzing ..Too many soft coverages on the outside. A good offensive team can march down the field on us with will

6- Special teams - its time to try something new on kick returns ...Have Norwood back there with Douglas do a trick play or something a reverse...we are starting at the 20 on just about every kickoff return ( plus 2 block punts in a year is terrible ) come on guys lack of concentration on punt formations

7-Turner seems to like the draw out of shotgun ..stay with that ...it seems to me when Ryan goes under center its 95% the time a run play ..Mix up run plays as well..stop usuing off gurad runs...More designed pitchouts and tosses ..

1- We do not utulize the middle of the field 10-20 yards ..Its rare we see any route being ran in the middle of the football field..Im not sure if Ryan is just comfortable with outside routes and sees the defense better and knows the coverage on the outside

2- No screens ?? We have never been a great screen run team but now we dont even try any ..No clue why ..A screen pass is just as good as turner run for 3 yards up the middle and might be even better cause less wear and tear on Turner and to get the ball to Norwood with blockers in front of him and space can on benefit us ..or how about a Wr screen with Douglas in front

Hey Swift these are the ones I agree with the most, especially the first one. I hope Dimitroff will bring in a good pass-catching TE in the offseason to use this area of the field more next season.

Norwood...something is clearly wrong with him in the past few weeks...don't know if it's injuries lingering or whatever, but he doesn't look really explosive or confident right now.

As for blitzing and bringing pressure I think that's something you will see more of next season when we hopefully add a few playmakers to the defense. I give credit to guys like Babs and Coleman for their effort, but outside of Abe we don't have a real playmaker or someone who's very good at creating turnovers on defense. A ball-hawking safety would go a long way to improve the defense next year. I am incredibly envious everytime I watch the Ravens or the Steelers.

To me, this in commentary on our TE's and RB's. One of the specials I saw on the Falcon's said that the coaches made decisions very early on to build an offense around the skills our players possess and not to ask them to "adapt" to a specific package. Maybe our RB's and TE's didn't show a consistant ability to win matchups with LB's early on? In addition, dumps over the middle are check-downs for most teams, and Ryan doesn't check down uniess there are no primary options.

We have butchered up the ones I have seen us attempt. Maybe that is an area Ryan needs to work on to improve his skill set??

3-Long ball...take shots...I have seen 1 long ball all season vs the Chiefs..Even if its incomplete it still benefits us so a defense doesnt continue to stack 9 men in the box..If we dont take any shots they will continue to do so

I think we do take shots in the 30-50 yard range. Ryan doesn't have the homerun arm, so in this offense, 50 yards in the air is the extreme. For our players skill set, the ball Ryan threw short to Roddy yesterday is our version of the "deep ball" 40 yards in the air ia about what you get.

4- we play sometimes to hold onto leads instead of being aggresive with the play calling..

I agree. However, we tend to run 50% of the time reguardless of game situation unless we are behind. Maybe sticking to our gameplan with a lead just looks conservative because we tend to want to run the ball? To me it seems like we are throwing the ball all over the field on our long drives, then they throw up that 24 runs 22 passes in the 3rd quarter. Smith wants this team to be a grind it in our face team with the lead, so he tries to do that. I agree it frustrates me, but I understand its more an attempt to be physical and agressive that "conservative."

5- Defense ( bend dont break ) need to see some pass rush generate from blitzing ..Too many soft coverages on the outside. A good offensive team can march down the field on us with will

I agree. Maybe the day Carolina had on our DB's early on this season is the cause of some of this.

6- Special teams - its time to try something new on kick returns ...Have Norwood back there with Douglas do a trick play or something a reverse...we are starting at the 20 on just about every kickoff return ( plus 2 block punts in a year is terrible ) come on guys lack of concentration on punt formations

I like our special teams on average. Our drives tend to start near the 30, our opponents near the 20 it seems to me. Maybe I should check the stats?

7-Turner seems to like the draw out of shotgun ..stay with that ...it seems to me when Ryan goes under center its 95% the time a run play ..Mix up run plays as well..stop usuing off gurad runs...More designed pitchouts and tosses ..

I agree "stay with it." You will find that you are wrong about our run percentage when Ryan is under center. It is no more than 65 percent. We run a lot of play action for the base set. We hae sold our running game so well we can run play action on the first play of the game and teams bite.

Overall, i think there is room for improvement, but I think we are doing pretty good. I personally believe the party line that we are running the plays that fit our players skill set. Maybe we add some talent, and the playbook expands in the future? I'll buy that for a dollar!

I am currently rewatching the game and the offense was our normal offense until Matt Ryan threw the 2 interceptions. Once that happened because we had the lead we got conservative and let Michael Turner and our defense win the game. In fact we were running the no huddle when Matt threw the first interception.

Also you must have not been watching the same games I have this year because we have taken plenty of shots down the field. 30 yards is considered taking a shot down field. 70 yard touchdown passes don't happen very often.

Disagree with 1, 2, 3, 4,6, , 7

Turner is doing well. He is a work horse not a quarterhorse, you wont see too many "highlights from Burner"

Have to go back and look but I believe we had 8 passes completed last week greater than 10 yards in the air. Not sure how many that were incomplete, but that seems like a considerable percentage to me.

Screens are actually very difficult to run. More than likely we do not have the personel on the Oline to run them, or the coaches are not comfortable running them. They are very elaborate plays. If something breaks down you are looking at a considerable loss, or an INT for a defensive touchdown. I think we should run more especially with norwood.

Not sure what you call a long ball, but I think we have thrown several this year. Wasnt the pick Ryan threw on the one like a 35 yard pass. Extremely long passes take a lot of time to develop and more than likely the coaches don't want to expose Ryan to that type of potential pressure in the pocket.

Yeah, I see that too, but again we have to play with what we have. I'm assuming that you mean we run a lot once we have the lead. Well, if we have the ball the other team cannot score (generally). The coaches are trying to protect the defense.

Even an average team will score on you if you blitz and don't get the QB. We just don't have the personel to blitz a lot and be successful. Every time you send a blitzer you are opening a huge hole in pass coverage and we do not have the people to play man to man.

How often do you see that work. Now how often do you see a screw up and a fumble or the ball carrier tackled on the five yard line.

Personel packages. We do not have a great or even a good pulling guard or center. We would get killed running a bunch of sweeps.

Hmmm honestly I just haven't followed what parts of the field we are attacking in the passing game to have noticed the trends

Yeah we don't use screens at all, and the outside threat of Norwood has disappeared. Most time we pass to Norwood on the outside as soon as the ball is snapped, he has no blocker, and he gets no yards. I sure would like to see some screens or just plain old toss sweeps with some blockers pulling lead. Whatever we do, we have to figure out why Norwood is getting nowhere suddenly and fix it.

Well again I haven't analyzed the passing patterns, but my perception in games is that Ryan has been going down field fairly often

Yes we do, but I don't think we do it as badly as we have in the past

Our pass rush from 4 down lineman is just not consistent enough. I would like to see more blitzing myself, and I have seen an increase since the early part of the season. We do need to do something to stop some of these long drives; although, our defense has sure shown a knack for making stops when needed.

Yeah the blocked punts have to be fixed ASAP. I love the trick plays, as long as they work.

Ooop yeah I mentioned toss sweeps earlier - love to see that . We don't have much of a threat outside at this time, gotta fix that. I like Turner on the draw, and we need to keep passing to him more out of the backfield. Get him matched up against single tacklers and allow him to administer pain and humiliation on them.

Hey Swift these are the ones I agree with the most, especially the first one. I hope Dimitroff will bring in a good pass-catching TE in the offseason to use this area of the field more next season.

Norwood...something is clearly wrong with him in the past few weeks...don't know if it's injuries lingering or whatever, but he doesn't look really explosive or confident right now.

As for blitzing and bringing pressure I think that's something you will see more of next season when we hopefully add a few playmakers to the defense. I give credit to guys like Babs and Coleman for their effort, but outside of Abe we don't have a real playmaker or someone who's very good at creating turnovers on defense. A ball-hawking safety would go a long way to improve the defense next year. I am incredibly envious everytime I watch the Ravens or the Steelers.

good reply ..I have been preaching for a ball hawking S for awhile ..closest thing we ever had was Bryan Scott before injuries...I like Coleman but Milloy hasnt played the same way he did in the first half of the season

good reply ..I have been preaching for a ball hawking S for awhile ..closest thing we ever had was Bryan Scott before injuries...I like Coleman but Milloy hasnt played the same way he did in the first half of the season

I agree with you here. We have got to get a safety that can cover and knows how to strip the ball. IMO other than pass rushing Dlinemen a killer safety is really what this team needs. If you take away the fumbles caused by Abe how many fumbles have we caused? One I think.

I love Milloy but he just isnt doing any more in coverage and no one fears coleman crossing the middle of the field.

And thanks for the compliment.

I'd like to see more play action for our "Big" sets.

Some screens (TE screen, Tunnel Screen) draws (Turner and Norwood), and more Norwood in general (I'm still trying to figure out if he's hurt or not).

We don't have the TE to really work the middle over like we'd want to so that's not going to be an option for now. Peele isn't bad but he's not great either.

As far as defense goes we're kind limited because Abe is about the only consistent pass rush we have. If we blitz we leave Houston and Foxworth all alone and they aren't great man coverage guys. You'll see a more aggressive Van Gorder when we have more players that fit the scheme.