Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ket222

So are we in good position to bring in free agents?

43 posts in this topic

My source is a reporter and he said that several upper management staff members said they're doing nothing until they either sign Haynesworth or he signs with someone else. He's our number 1 target at the moment. After him, if we don't get him, expect there to be a push for Terrell Suggs. This was on the record but not used in the interview. I've heard the tape two or 3 times. I can't reveal which affiliate he works for, but it's a major media outlet that's national.

From what i hear we are looking at around 30 to 40 mil give or take. If Brooking and a few other players come off our books and vicks full contract not hitting us.

4 players i would like to take a look at that could be had for reasonable prices are

SS - Sean Jones. Top 10 talent at the position and would be coming home does not like the Browns anymore.

LB - Karlos Dansby - Loads of talent and could come in and replace brooking no problem.

DE - Terell Suggs - No need to explain we need a pass rush and he is a monster at it. Would take our line to a new level.

CB - Kevin Hayden - Has played in the cover-2 a goo while and excells at it. Would be a good fit for solid price i think.

Im not saying sign all 4 of those guys but i would atleast target them and see how they fit or react to a offer as none of them would break the bank i don't think suggs probably highest.

If we get all 4 great if we only get 1 or 2 of them just as good as we can fill the other holes with draft picks and build toward the future with young talented guys.

Forget about the elite FA's ike Haynesworth and Aso. To get either of thsoe guys, we'd have to be payign them $10m+ per season.

To succeed at this lavel you need to build a roster with telent and depth accross the board. You do that by drafting consistently well and foussing on mid level free agents, not by overpaying for elite FA's.

Just look at Snyder and the Redskins. Year after year they used to go on a big spending spree at the start of the free agency spending over the odds for big name players. The end result was a roster with a handful of big names and minimal depth and only 2 playoff wins in the decade since Snyder took over. If you need more proof, look at the raiders. They went crazy with the money last year, bringing in players that were supposed to take them to the next level, but have self destructed to a pathetic 3-10.

TD will focus on the draft and young mid-level FAs, as he did last year. Even Michael Turner's didn't get elite money last year, signing a 6 yr $34.5m deal that avergaed less than $6m per year and paid him less the contract that we gave to Peerless Price 5 years earlier.

Suggs sounds good and reasonable. I thought the Raiders were slapping the franchise tag on Aso?

I could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure you can only franchise tag a player once. I'm pretty sure the raiders did that last year.

If I am not mistaken, Vick's salary still goes against the cap. When I think of a SS, my first thought would be Taylor Mays out of USC. In the free-agent market, Haynesworth is high on my chart, along with Peppers. Can you imagine Peppers and Abraham? I like Nnamdi Asomugha, but don't want to see another Nate Clements type of deal. I think that we are solid for the most part. Mays would be a great fit for our secondary, and Peppers could be the dream at the other DE.

Here's hoping that Dimitroff has another offseason that's even close to this past offseason. If so, I would almost guarantee at least a division championship!

I'm guessing that priority #1 is a long-term deal for Roddy White. Then, a lot of work will probably be done on the defense.

I'm guessing that priority #1 is a long-term deal for Roddy White. Then, a lot of work will probably be done on the defense.

Finally the answer I was looking for. This has to be the #1 priority!!!!

it would be helpful to know how we are in terms of the cap compared to other teams

i definitely agree about roddy did i hear he's the BEST receiver in the nfl now?!

I would be shocked if TD signed Albert.

He will command $80 mil + +

TD will likely find a sleeper in FA or the Draft.

The Draft and FA Forum has tons of post regarding Aso and AH,

and they are very good post too.

We've had an incredible year this year, but we NEED MORE KEY PLAYERS, esp on the defensive side. We played with HEART today, but that will only get us so far...

again any sense of how our cap compares to other teams? how much percentage wise vick and ryan take up on our cap?

Forget about the elite FA's ike Haynesworth and Aso. To get either of thsoe guys, we'd have to be payign them $10m+ per season.

To succeed at this lavel you need to build a roster with telent and depth accross the board. You do that by drafting consistently well and foussing on mid level free agents, not by overpaying for elite FA's.

Just look at Snyder and the Redskins. Year after year they used to go on a big spending spree at the start of the free agency spending over the odds for big name players. The end result was a roster with a handful of big names and minimal depth and only 2 playoff wins in the decade since Snyder took over. If you need more proof, look at the raiders. They went crazy with the money last year, bringing in players that were supposed to take them to the next level, but have self destructed to a pathetic 3-10.

TD will focus on the draft and young mid-level FAs, as he did last year. Even Michael Turner's didn't get elite money last year, signing a 6 yr $34.5m deal that avergaed less than $6m per year and paid him less the contract that we gave to Peerless Price 5 years earlier.

I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch. Like I said, my person, whom is a reporter for a national media outlet, has said that the front office (specifically Dimitroff, over lunch last week no less) told him that their #1 target is going to be Haynesworth. They will not pursue anyone until he signs with us or another franchise. From there, they like Suggs as the next target.