Where does Matt Ryan talent-wise among Falcons QB's all-time?

As a 23-year-old guy, I've seen several Falcons quarterbacks in my life. Unfortunately, my memory only dates back as far as Chris Miller. :unsure: Obviously, with Ryan just being a rookie it's impossible to compare his stats to those of guys who have already played out their career. So this is more about seeing his talent and ability and trying to measure against what I've seen from other guys who have donned the red and black. I have to say right now I think Ryan is the best. Chris Chandler certainly had his moments and yes, so did YKW. Even Jeff George looked decent for a quarter or two <_< . But right now I think Ryan is the best I've seen. It's pretty much understood that Steve Bartkowski is the greatest Falcons QB ever. I've only seen video of him so I don't feel I can form a solid opinion about someone I've only seen highlights of. I'm curious to hear from some of the more veteran Falcons fans who have had the chance to see more players than I have. From what you guys have seen before and what you see in Ryan now, where does he rank?

Yeah Ryan is the most impressive rookie QB we have had so far, but it is too early to rank him against the others.

I don't think Favre really should count either as he was only here for the first 2 games of the 91 season, and he was not very impressive at the time believe it or not.

I have to agree with Vick having the best physical tools: I don't think their is too much debate anywhere about that. :P

I didn't see Bartkowski in his early years, but I did see him in his prime till retirement, and he was a very good QB with an exceptional deep ball.

Chris Chandler could also throw the deep ball extremely well the years he was here until we lost Tony Martin. I think that is one thing to recall when comparing the QB's - you have to consider the receiving corps around them.

Vick sure wasn't a pocket passer, but come on the receivers SUCKED when he was playing here. Only last year when Roddy exploded onto the scene did we start to have a solid corps of receivers. But when Vick was here he never had a dependable target.

Certainly, Ryan appears to have the talent to exceed every QB we have ever fielded here, but time will tell. We still need to put and keep a solid team around him in order for him to succeed.

The Receivers looked bad when Vick was here because Vick made them look bad, he could not put the ball on the spot, he could not work the ball into Zone Coverage to create 1st downs, he could not find open guys down field and his Zip caused the Recievers to drop many, many passes as he could not find any touch on the ball when he was not running for his life.................

Face it, Vick Brought nothing but Chaos to this Franchise and now with Ryan we actually look like a football team again .....

i would say vick has the most talent. he could throw the ball farther the ryan and ofcourse was way faster. but Ryan will be a million times better because of a little thing I like to call work ethic. Ryans deep ball is better despite not being able to throw the ball as far as vick because of a little thing called touch which often comes with practice.

we should not hate on vick. I have a ton of great memories of the Michael Vick era and it is not an era I want to forget. He is probably the second best falcon quarterback ever behind bartowski. We should embrace the Vick era for what it was. 2 playoff runs including one that got us to the nfc championship. He was a great falcon who would have had his jersey retired if he did not screw things up. But we are in a new era; the Matt Ryan era and I am excited. I honestly feel he could be the next quarterback who has the caliber of a manning or brady.

2nd so far. Hes gonna have to take us further than the NFCCG to be better than Vick.

Anyone saying Vick wasnt the best in this sad franchises history is in denial. I know this thread was purposely made to badmouth him, but come on, the dude single handedly carried this team for 5 years.. Ryan is a small part of this success, thank that to Mike Smith and his coaching staff.

Yea...it's kind of a "wait and see" since we're talking careers, but to answer the question, he is indeed the best I've seen so far.

I say this all the time...

"True enough, Vick got us to the NFCCG, but it was with his legs, not his arm."

To add on, it wasn't his work ethic and it especially wasn't his leadership. I take all that into account when I give an opinion about a player at that position...and I was behind Vick 100%, but I believed he could've been a lot better if he really applied himself in the offense and assumed the role of leader by making his teammates around him better.

This is an interesting question. As for physical talent...Mike Vick hands down. Jeff George was probably second. Both of those guys could throw the ball a mile and had lightening quick releases, but Vick had the running skills, too. I'd put Chris Miller third.

Now, for the "between the ears" attributes, I'd say Steve Bartkowski, hands down (and he could throw a mile, too). Chris Chandler was nothing special from a physical standpoint, but was as cerebral as they come, so he'd be second.

Finally, if you want to go by heart and determination, our young Mr. Ryan may already be on top. If the reports are true about his dedication in the film room, he's already shown more than a young Vick or ESPECIALLY Bartkowski (nicknamed "Peachtree Bart" for his early days of spending all night out at the clubs). As far as this part is concerned, Ryan surpasses Favre, too, because Brett spend far more time clubin' it up while in the ATL than he did in the film room.

2nd so far. Hes gonna have to take us further than the NFCCG to be better than Vick.

Anyone saying Vick wasnt the best in this sad franchises history is in denial. I know this thread was purposely made to badmouth him, but come on, the dude single handedly carried this team for 5 years.. Ryan is a small part of this success, thank that to Mike Smith and his coaching staff.

Oh, I get it! So any success Ryan has is because of his supporting cast. But any success Vick had with this "sad franchise" was solely due to him.

Either you are a racist, or just ignorant as they come. Which is it?

Thus far....Matt Ryan is the most talented qb to ever wear a Falcon uniform. No other qbs that played for the Falcons have had better rookie numbers AND THAT INCLUDES FAVRE in HIS 1ST FULL SEASON AT gb.

The question was....which was the most talented qb. It was not who was the most athletic qb.

Experienced is of no bearing when you are evaluating pure talent. You have to compare rookie seasons to get your answer.

The answer....thus far....is Matt Ryan.

If the question was...who was the best qb ever for the Falcons...I'd probably say Bartkowski followed by Chandler.

Thus far....Matt Ryan is the most talented qb to ever wear a Falcon uniform. No other qbs that played for the Falcons have had better rookie numbers AND THAT INCLUDES FAVRE in HIS 1ST FULL SEASON AT gb.

The question was....which was the most talented qb. It was not who was the most athletic qb.

Experienced is of no bearing when you are evaluating pure talent. You have to compare rookie seasons to get your answer.

The answer....thus far....is Matt Ryan.

If the question was...who was the best qb ever for the Falcons...I'd probably say Bartkowski followed by Chandler.

Great points!