Open Letter to Arthur Blank

ThunderCookie

the NFL today announced it was cutting staff due to the recession - the Falcons have announced they are raising my ticket price by 30% per ticket

you figure that out and explain it , 'cause it makes no sense to me

OK, I'll help you out then. Even though I answered your question already in this thread. It's called supply and demand. When there was low demand, Blank was smart in lowering prices in an attempt to sellout games and keep the Falcons on TV, so when we started getting better again, people can see the improvement and then want to return to the GA Dome. The improvement has obviously happened this year, and with Ryan, Smith, and Dimitroff the improvements are just at the beginning and likely equate to us being a perrenial playoff contender for at least the next decade.

Meaning, the demand is about to go WAY up. Hence, your lower than average ticket prices are going up to reflect that increasing demand. Recession or not, Blank is not a dumb business man. I'm sure their market projections have told them the likelihood of still being able to sellout the Dome with the increased ticket prices. And if they didn't think they would still sell out, they wouldn't have raised the prices.

So the bottom line is the Falcons feel, no doubt from extensive market research, that your ticket will be purchased at the increased price, recession or not. Whether by you or someone else. While we as fans don't like it one bit about having to pay more for tickets, the fact of the matter is the NFL is still a business. And business people are always going to try to maximize profit, whether we like it or not. Someone will buy the tickets next year, I can almost guarantee you that.

I find it troubling that your reading comprehension is that low. No one is complaining about price. It is the way they changed the renewal policy without warning and at the worst possible time.

All they did was give you incentives to renew early. You can still renew at the regular interval. You are looking a gift-horse in the mouth.

All they did was give you incentives to renew early. You can still renew at the regular interval. You are looking a gift-horse in the mouth.

You are 100% wrong. If you do not renew by the 30th then your account is cancelled. After the 30th, you would become a new ticket holder. This means that those who did renew by the 30th could move into your seats and you would have to take the left overs.

You're leaving out the very expensive NY Giants PSL which runs from $1,000 a seat to $20,000 a seat, it's highly likely the first 15 rows are in the $10-$15,000 range. That's not a very good example.

Is there a PSL at Gillette Stadium? I am in the upper prime and will pay $90 per seat at the Dome. To see a Patriot's home game in the same section it is $89. The price was reduced by 6% this year after the price steadily rising every year since around 2002 regardless of the wins and losses. Next year's price went up by 38%. Holy Sh!@, that's a big jump.

For the ticket price in the same section to be the same as the Patriots without the multiple Superbowl appearances and only 2 months ago there were blackouts, that just knocked me off of my feet.

HailRazor i'm confused...are you not renewing or did some guardian angel come thru and you are renewing? I agree the timing is off a bit, and i know this will sound cold, but that's life man. I own my own business and it's way down this year....but i'm working a plan to make it better next year. It's easy to let roadblocks like this get you down, but if you dig deep enough, i'm sure you can find a way to make things work.

I get a kick out of a lot of the callers on the Dave Ramsey show complaining about their financial situation, hoping that Dave will empathize with them a bit. Instead, he gives them a great dose of reality....I always wonder how many of the callers he tells to go get a second job delivering pizzas actually goes out to do that.

I know i'm probably being an *** here....but hey, if you're biggest problem this month is wondering whether or not you can get your NFL season tickets this year or not, we'll, you've got a lot to be thankful for.

Actually a guardian angel did come through for me. And you are not being an ***. This is a very bad time for industry I am in as well. And the fact that I have a roof over my head and some gifts under the tree makes me more blessed than many in this time.

But imagine you have had something in your buget for 8 years and someone sayd to you, "oh by the way, pay up in 3 weeks or you lose it." It wouldn't be the end of my life, but at the same time I think I have the right to voice my disdain for the way this was conducted.

Actually a guardian angel did come through for me. And you are not being an ***. This is a very bad time for industry I am in as well. And the fact that I have a roof over my head and some gifts under the tree makes me more blessed than many in this time.

But imagine you have had something in your buget for 8 years and someone sayd to you, "oh by the way, pay up in 3 weeks or you lose it." It wouldn't be the end of my life, but at the same time I think I have the right to voice my disdain for the way this was conducted.

That's probably the most logical and well put together complaint I've seen about this deal. Most on the Dome Field are angry vents where individuals are not fully wrapping their mind around the problem first.

:lol: I just wonder how MLB is going to weather the storm this year..

Seriously, I expect MLB to get hit VERY hard. ****, they're already the most over-priced professional sports league to begin with and the slow economy might be just what they need to get a clue that their pricing structure is long overdue for a reality check. Thank God for the Braves who I can watch on TV pretty much anytime I want.

We're looking at another 12-18 months minimum before this economy truly rights itself, and MLB would be smart to get proactive with consumers right now and start offering more cost-effective options for fans to still attend the games in person.

I feel your frustrations. How can I dedicate 50 percent of my salary, when x-mas is right around the corner? I feel like it is a slap in my face as a season ticket holder in an already depressed country. This is the wrong time to make changes.

I'm just curious how much you all spend on Christmas... seems like an awful lot. My wife and I do fairly well for ourselves and we don't spend so much that our budgets are all out of whack..

You are 100% wrong. If you do not renew by the 30th then your account is cancelled. After the 30th, you would become a new ticket holder. This means that those who did renew by the 30th could move into your seats and you would have to take the left overs.

A lot of STH's are going to be mad when they find out they didn't comprehend the fine print and lose their account. They'll be starting over with an all new account, lose their exsting seats, and the built up seniority. And be paying 30% more. The newsflash on the website made this seem like an option, when it is in fact, an ultimatum.

Seriously, I expect MLB to get hit VERY hard. ****, they're already the most over-priced professional sports league to begin with and the slow economy might be just what they need to get a clue that their pricing structure is long overdue for a reality check. Thank God for the Braves who I can watch on TV pretty much anytime I want.

We're looking at another 12-18 months minimum before this economy truly rights itself, and MLB would be smart to get proactive with consumers right now and start offering more cost-effective options for fans to still attend the games in person.

I cruise past Turner Field on my way South to work every day and I see the ticket package offers.. they're going to be hurting big time come July/August when people are traveling on Summer vacations, if people travel. I did hear that the Giants are going to have adjustable ticket prices at the gate depending on the perceived demand for the days game. I just can't see too many individuals or companies going after the $40+ a game seats for season tickets this coming year the whole league is going to have to be very creative this Winter/Spring to pull together a successful 2009 season.

I'm just curious how much you all spend on Christmas... seems like an awful lot. My wife and I do fairly well for ourselves and we don't spend so much that our budgets are all out of whack..

Don't get me wrong, I don't spend a lot on christmas. Since I don't have kids, but I do like to buy something for everybody I love. Right now, I guess some people will not be receiving a x-mas present this year. Because I am determine to get my season tickets.

I just thought it was the wrong time to make changes like this, and only give us a month to make a decision. I was thinking about upgrading my seats, but since this happen. It look like I will be staying where I'm at already.

I know a grown man isn't supposed to cry, but guess what I just got for Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first month of 6 month plan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so utterly happy for you, man. It broke my heart to read your first response. Congrats!

Don't get me wrong, I don't spend a lot on christmas. Since I don't have kids, but I do like to buy something for everybody I love. Right now, I guess some people will not be receiving a x-mas present this year. Because I am determine to get my season tickets.

I just thought it was the wrong time to make changes like this, and only give us a month to make a decision. I was thinking about upgrading my seats, but since this happen. It look like I will be staying where I'm at already.

It is very awkward timing, but from some of the posts I've seen around here it's like people are blowing an entire month's budget on Christmas. I'm all about the holiday and making sure everyone has something nice and I'm not cheap but you can tell some are excessive around here and in general. (outside of the message board)

The upgrade raises a good question.. how much do you pay if you do decide to downgrade or upgrade your seat? The existing amount on your current seats? That is something I don't remember reading or talking to the sales rep about.

Dear Mr. Blank,

When you bought the franchise, I bought season tickets. Every year, both the good and the bad, I have loyally shown up to the Dome. Every year with out fail, I have put off other opportunities to dedicate my tax refund to secure those tickets. And then, three weeks before Christmas, you do this. It would appear that I was wrong about you Mr. Blank.

I have admired, respected, and defended you. When the ticket prices went up, I understood. When I found out that our concession prices were higher than average with lower quality, I understood. But making me decide between my children's Christmas and season tickets, I can't understand.

The fans you have turned your back on are the ones you have needed most. We were the ones who showed up when no one would in the beginning of 2002. We were the ones who still bought tickets this year while you were having to give the rest away. And we would have been the fans you could depend on when the Falcons have their next bump in the road. But not anymore.

I have tried every way I can to fit your demands in to my meager budget in this tight economy, and the only way would be to limit what my two children get for an already limited Christmas. That I can not do. So you can have my tickets Mr. Blank. Sell them to the highest bidder. Sell them to the scalpers. Sell them to fairweather fans who will be gone when you need them the most. I know the dollar you make today is the only one that matters.

Sorry to hear that you may not be able to renew, but I'm surprised it's taken this long to see how those who are the loyal fans are the ones they could care less about shafting.

Dear Mr. Blank,

When you bought the franchise, I bought season tickets. Every year, both the good and the bad, I have loyally shown up to the Dome. Every year with out fail, I have put off other opportunities to dedicate my tax refund to secure those tickets. And then, three weeks before Christmas, you do this. It would appear that I was wrong about you Mr. Blank.

I have admired, respected, and defended you. When the ticket prices went up, I understood. When I found out that our concession prices were higher than average with lower quality, I understood. But making me decide between my children's Christmas and season tickets, I can't understand.

The fans you have turned your back on are the ones you have needed most. We were the ones who showed up when no one would in the beginning of 2002. We were the ones who still bought tickets this year while you were having to give the rest away. And we would have been the fans you could depend on when the Falcons have their next bump in the road. But not anymore.

I have tried every way I can to fit your demands in to my meager budget in this tight economy, and the only way would be to limit what my two children get for an already limited Christmas. That I can not do. So you can have my tickets Mr. Blank. Sell them to the highest bidder. Sell them to the scalpers. Sell them to fairweather fans who will be gone when you need them the most. I know the dollar you make today is the only one that matters.

How absurd. Mr. Blank owes you absolutely nothing, and to send him this e-mail is off the wall crazy. Perhaps you didn't take Economics 101, but if you had, you would understand that the demand for his product has gone up, and so will the prices.

It annoys me when fans think that they are owed something by the ownership. They don't owe you a **** thing. They run a business. How successful of a businessman would Blank be if he lowered or maintained the prices of his products as demand increased for them? He probably wouldn't be where he is now.

I hear the same whining and complaining all the time from fans in Dallas. They're upset that the season tickets they've paid $1500 for every year for 30 years at the thirty yard line, 10 rows up, are now going to cost them $150,000. Get over it. You held onto an item that was worth more than you were paying for it, and now moving into a new arena, why the **** should Jerry Jones let you keep those when he can sell them for 100x that much? I understand that most football fans who go to the games tend to be blue-collar, but the fact of the matter is it doesn't matter.

I hope I don't sound like a d-bag....I'm in no better shape than you are. I just moved to Austin, where there's a hiring freeze and will be taking my 2 B.A.'s and my Master's to a local bartending gig until I hear back from some companies I've applied to. With all of that being said however, congrats on getting the first of your 6 month thing taken care of, awesome. I'm empathetic when it comes to this kind of stuff, but I don't feel sorry for you and you shouldn't expect the owner to either.

I reread my information, and you're right. You do have to renew by the end of the year. The six month payment plan makes it really easy though, just one payment by Dec 31st, and the price breaks more than make up for it to me. You may be in a different situation though, so I'm sorry if it doesn't work out for you. I called last year to see if they had a payment plan, so I was really excited when they offedered one. I get my same seats, with a payment plan for 800 bucks less, I guess I was just too excited to see your side of the story, so I'm sorry for that.

I completely agree with you bro. 2009 WILL be my 10 season as a STH - 1 decade down, who knows how many more to go.

That being said, it was a VERY poor move on their part to completely restructure the way they do renewals without warning to the fans, especially around Christmas. You MUST pay us directly after Christmas or lose your seats regardless of your situation or the fact that we didn't let you plan this by telling you a few months in advance. It is also another bad move on the Falcons part to force STHs to renew around the same time there may be an opportunity to purchase playoff tickets. If I have an option, I'm renewing my season tickets and NOT going to a playoff game. And too bad, because I will scream and yell and cheer 100% louder and more often than the average fan from the street that would get my ticket.

My seats are luckily not going up, and in fact, when I do renew, I'll get a discount. But it was always nice to have a plan to use my tax refund for my tickets, because that's the way it has been for almost a decade.

It is very awkward timing, but from some of the posts I've seen around here it's like people are blowing an entire month's budget on Christmas. I'm all about the holiday and making sure everyone has something nice and I'm not cheap but you can tell some are excessive around here and in general. (outside of the message board)

The upgrade raises a good question.. how much do you pay if you do decide to downgrade or upgrade your seat? The existing amount on your current seats? That is something I don't remember reading or talking to the sales rep about.

I only pay 250 per seat. But was considering to go down to lower seats. I think the upgrade prices would have been like an extra 300 dollars per seat. But since they want the money before the 30th. I will just stay in my current seats and go ahead and pay them off.

I hope I don't sound like a d-bag....

You kind of do, just because he wasn't complaining about prices being raised, but rather the timing of the down payment, etc. I think he has a very valid complaint.

" I have admired, respected, and defended you. When the ticket prices went up, I understood. "

Sorry to hear that you may not be able to renew, but I'm surprised it's taken this long to see how those who are the loyal fans are the ones they could care less about shafting.

That is pretty much what my best friend said. Last year they gave breaks to the newbies and gave long time fans the shaft. This year Blank gave it to everyone. I renwed but my friend will not after being a STH for 13 years. I will miss him at the games. Blank must have a BIG cash flow problem if he has to squeeze the fans out of money @ Christmas. Home Depot stock must be way down. :angry: