Colt McCoy to stay for senior season

Texas' McCoy 'not going anywhere,' QB tells newspaper Updated: December 8, 2008, 6:56 PM ET

Texas Longhorns quarterback Colt McCoy will return for his senior season, the Austin American-Statesman reported Monday on its Web site.

"I'm not going anywhere," McCoy told the newspaper.

McCoy, who had previously said he would file paperwork to receive feedback from an NFL advisory committee about his draft prospects, is hungry for a national title after the Longhorns fell just short of a berth in the BCS Championship Game, the Statesman reported.

"I'm coming back because we have a solid coaching staff," McCoy said. "And I'm coming back because I feel like I can develop the young receivers we have."

The Longhorns (11-1), who will face Ohio State in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 5, finished the regular season ranked third in the BCS standings behind Oklahoma and Florida.

McCoy, a redshirt junior, said Monday he had also decided against testing the waters for the draft or seeking an evaluation for his coaches at UT from the NFL.

McCoy set team records this season with 3,445 passing yards and 32 touchdowns. The Heisman Trophy contender also led the team in rushing with 576 yards.

McCoy had hinted before that he would stay for a fourth year at Texas.

"I've been blessed to be able to play here," McCoy told The Sporting News in October. "Not very many people get to [start] here for four years, so what an opportunity."

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3754860

i said all along that if he won the national title and the heisman he wouldnt have anything left to prove at texas (he has the career touchdown record as of midseason this year. yes, more than vince young at the halfway mark) and i thought he would leave.

well, he probably isnt going to win the heisman and he wont be playing for a national title. this means i think he will be back and i also think that he will have the career record for touchdowns for a VERY long time. he may get 35+ passing tds and 5+ rushing tds again next year, meaning the record could be close to 150 career scores. vince young had it at 82. that is CRAZY.

anyways, if he can develop his game some more he will be a very early pick next year imo. to be honest the class of next years class is probably mark sanchez if he can stay healthy enough to play. all the kid needs is experience. hes got good arm strength, good accuracy, makes good reads... hes a good player. just needs experience. hes tough and hes a good leader. he will probably be the top qb taken next year. the guys that are saying hed be top 5 this year are off, but only by a year.