Tuberville Was Fired

Falconsfan567

Tuberville's mother claims Auburn fired her son

AUBURN, Ala. (AP) -- Tommy Tuberville's mother told a newspaper her son was fired as Auburn's football coach, a claim that runs counter to public statements by the university that Tuberville left on his own.

The Opelika-Auburn News quoted Olive Tuberville as saying her son told her he was dismissed after 10 seasons at Auburn.

"He didn't resign," the paper quoted her as saying. "He was fired."

Reached for comment Monday by The Associated Press, Olive Tuberville wouldn't say whether the newspaper quoted her correctly. She did confirm talking with a reporter at Tuberville's house shortly after the coach's final meeting with Auburn officials last Wednesday.

"I'm sick of this mess. I'm not going discuss it anymore," she said.

Athletic director Jay Jacobs last week said Tuberville's departure was completely Tuberville's decision, and that he and the university president, Jay Gogue, each asked Tuberville to remain.

Jacobs said he and Gogue agreed to give Tuberville the same amount of money that would have been required to terminate his contract through a firing, $5.1 million, because they felt it was "the right thing to do."

Auburn spokeswoman Deedie Dowdle said Monday the university stands by Jacobs' statement that Tuberville resigned.

The Opelika-News reported that Tuberville's mother said she felt her son was betrayed by Auburn "to a certain extent" after 85 wins and a Southeastern Conference championship.

"This went on too long," she said. "They had their minds made up days ago, I imagine. It was tough. He didn't know what to expect. All of his friends have stayed with him."

Tuberville, 54, has referred to his departure from Auburn as "totally a business decision, what's best for Auburn." He said he plans to stay in Auburn and help the school if he can. He has not returned calls for further comment.

His mother said she has been worried about him.

"He's at an age where something could happen to him," she told the newspaper. "Heart problems are all through my family. I didn't want him getting stressed out. This has got to hurt -- as much as he's put into the program and done for the program."

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Link

Tuberville's mother claims Auburn fired her son

AUBURN, Ala. (AP) -- Tommy Tuberville's mother told a newspaper her son was fired as Auburn's football coach, a claim that runs counter to public statements by the university that Tuberville left on his own.

The Opelika-Auburn News quoted Olive Tuberville as saying her son told her he was dismissed after 10 seasons at Auburn.

"He didn't resign," the paper quoted her as saying. "He was fired."

Reached for comment Monday by The Associated Press, Olive Tuberville wouldn't say whether the newspaper quoted her correctly. She did confirm talking with a reporter at Tuberville's house shortly after the coach's final meeting with Auburn officials last Wednesday.

"I'm sick of this mess. I'm not going discuss it anymore," she said.

Athletic director Jay Jacobs last week said Tuberville's departure was completely Tuberville's decision, and that he and the university president, Jay Gogue, each asked Tuberville to remain.

Jacobs said he and Gogue agreed to give Tuberville the same amount of money that would have been required to terminate his contract through a firing, $5.1 million, because they felt it was "the right thing to do."

Auburn spokeswoman Deedie Dowdle said Monday the university stands by Jacobs' statement that Tuberville resigned.

The Opelika-News reported that Tuberville's mother said she felt her son was betrayed by Auburn "to a certain extent" after 85 wins and a Southeastern Conference championship.

"This went on too long," she said. "They had their minds made up days ago, I imagine. It was tough. He didn't know what to expect. All of his friends have stayed with him."

Tuberville, 54, has referred to his departure from Auburn as "totally a business decision, what's best for Auburn." He said he plans to stay in Auburn and help the school if he can. He has not returned calls for further comment.

His mother said she has been worried about him.

"He's at an age where something could happen to him," she told the newspaper. "Heart problems are all through my family. I didn't want him getting stressed out. This has got to hurt -- as much as he's put into the program and done for the program."

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Link

His mom didn't have to come out and say that everybody knew JJ, I agree with the decision but this was handled TERRIBLY, I really do believe JJ will be gone soon, BTW there is now a website up calling for his head

Check it out, never seen one for an AD before

I don't agree with Sir Charles to many times but I totally agree with him on this situation. We need to hire Turner Gill. Alabama has Nick Saban, Florida Urban Meyer and Georgia Mark Richt. We need to make a splash and create a buzz. Those rednecks need to get off their high horse and do what's best for the program and that's higher a coach that truly cares about his players and winning and that's Turner Gill. He's already proved at Buffalo that he's a better recruiter than Tuberville. If he had some talent he would be amazing.

I don't agree with Sir Charles to many times but I totally agree with him on this situation. We need to hire Turner Gill. Alabama has Nick Saban, Florida Urban Meyer and Georgia Mark Richt. We need to make a splash and create a buzz. Those rednecks need to get off their high horse and do what's best for the program and that's higher a coach that truly cares about his players and winning and that's Turner Gill. He's already proved at Buffalo that he's a better recruiter than Tuberville. If he had some talent he would be amazing.

You know what else would make a splash and create a buzz? Hiring Patrick Nix to be your new head coach. It may not be the splash and buzz you were looking for though.

(Yes I know Clemson hired a WR coach to be the new head coach)

My team was obviously aded to the SEC and isn't one of the originals. Some say my team isn't really in the SEC, only on the fringe. So I say this without having a lifetime of SEC love eventhough I have always loved watching the football. But to me, the Auburn football program stands out as one of the most backstabbing, underhanded, disloyal groups out there. I've actually pulled for Auburn and enjoyed watching the team play throughout the years, but they just "feel" slimy.

I don't know if Nix is quite ready to be a HC yet.

If wasting NFL talent and being a poor offensive coordinator were requirements for a HC, Patrick Nix would be ready.

I try not to second guess often as these guys are clearly more qualified and proven than I am, but Nix is just a amazingly terrible offensive coordinator. How on earth Shannon thought he was good after seeing what he did at Georgia Tech I will never know. I think Jeff Bowden is better than him.

My team was obviously aded to the SEC and isn't one of the originals. Some say my team isn't really in the SEC, only on the fringe. So I say this without having a lifetime of SEC love eventhough I have always loved watching the football. But to me, the Auburn football program stands out as one of the most backstabbing, underhanded, disloyal groups out there. I've actually pulled for Auburn and enjoyed watching the team play throughout the years, but they just "feel" slimy.

Some of the people running the program are slimy. There is no denying that.

If wasting NFL talent and being a poor offensive coordinator were requirements for a HC, Patrick Nix would be ready.

I try not to second guess often as these guys are clearly more qualified and proven than I am, but Nix is just a amazingly terrible offensive coordinator. How on earth Shannon thought he was good after seeing what he did at Georgia Tech I will never know. I think Jeff Bowden is better than him.

I agree. Nix is horrible as an OC. He was a good QB but horrible as an OC.

Some of the people running the program are slimy. There is no denying that.

I agree. Nix is horrible as an OC. He was a good QB but horrible as an OC.

Was he a good QB or was Frank Sanders a good receiver?

I trust him and Garner were given interviews out of courtesey I seriously doubt Bobby Bankroll and the Yella Fella would stand for that kind of hire

Other than jetgate I don't really see any other proof of that with three HC's in the past 28 years

Other than jetgate I don't really see any other proof of that with three HC's in the past 28 years

I may have been overly critical of them, but I just remember how they got rid of "their Bowden" and I remember when a bunch of stuff came out after Dye left the program. But I'm sure that my program has more than its' share of black eyes too. I just thought TT earned more respect than he appears to have gotten in this situation.

Was he a good QB or was Frank Sanders a good receiver?

I trust him and Garner were given interviews out of courtesey I seriously doubt Bobby Bankroll and the Yella Fella would stand for that kind of hire

You do have a point there. Frank Sanders was a really good receiver. It also helped that we had Stephen Davis.