Windows Vista Service Pack 2

womfalcs3

I'm actually in the beta for Windows 7... and I will upgrade once it's released. It's less annoying than Vista, and my memory consumption with Windows 7 is so much better than Vista's.

Anyway, Windows Vista SP2 is also in beta, and will be released soon (H1 CY 2009). While not ground-breaking, it does have nice features. They include:

• Let you record data onto Blu-ray discs

• Add into your system Vista Feature Pack For Wireless, which provides support for the latest Bluetooth technology -- Bluetooth v2.1 -- as well as for the Windows Connect Now (WCN) Wi-Fi protocol

• Give you better Wi-Fi performance when you're exiting Vista's sleep mode

• Make your RSS feeds sidebar gadget work faster and better

• Give you the latest desktop search engine, Windows Search 4

• Cut down the resources it takes to run your various sidebar gadgets

It'll give your OS an overall tune-up, too.

Vista Service Pack 2 will also deliver some under-the-hood improvements, which will:

• Give your computer support for VIA Technologies' new 64-bit CPU

• Let your system support exFAT, which can handle larger files and can also use UTC timestamps so you can synchronize files across different time zones

• Boost your power management efficiency by as much as 10 percent

• Many bug fixes

Man, I don't have ANY of those issues.

Of course, I'm running Leopard :D

Those aren't really apparent issues. I mean better resource management for the gadgets isn't something the average user will notice. The wi-fi connection from sleep mode is not significant. As to bug fixes, bugs are in every piece of software ever written, let alone complicated operating systems.

The non-issue side of SP2, i.e. the enhancements in features, is what's mainly of importance. The blu-ray recording support, the exFAT support, and the power management enhancements.

I personally believe "gadgets" or "widgets" are useless for my computer use, so I don't have them on to begin with. I also have a lot of processes and services disabled. I've tweaked the registry for better performance.

The things that really make me want Windows 7 are:

- More customization with the annoying dialogue box that comes up EVERY SINGLE TIME I make a change in the computer. I want it gone for most changes, but I want it to remain for some, and Windows Vista doesn't allow for that. It's either all or nothing.

- Improved use of memory with open applications (Kind of the like the fixes Mozilla made with Firefox 3 from Firefox 2. They improved how memory is used when you opened up new tabs. Here it's applications.)

That's why I settled for the 32-bit version of Windows Vista. I didn't want to pay extra for the 64-bit version upgrade because I wanted to get the 64-bit version of Windows 7, which will come out in the near future.

Those aren't really apparent issues. I mean better resource management for the gadgets isn't something the average user will notice. The wi-fi connection from sleep mode is not significant. As to bug fixes, bugs are in every piece of software ever written, let alone complicated operating systems.

I know - I just couldn't resist the jab.

My parents run Vista, and they have (so far, knock on wood) no real issues. Frankly, though, I find it a rather cheap imitation of the Mac OS. Windows is industry standard, but it's always been funny to me that each new incarnation just feels copycat.

Now that I own a current-generation Mac again (my last was a Power PC based system running the first incarnation of OS X), I am again amazed at the capabilities of this OS for the average user. I was editing some home photographs last night, and it is just mind boggling how much better iPhoto is than any freeware or Windows-included photo editing software.

I still run MS Office on the Mac for word processing, spreadsheets, etc., though. Sometimes industry standard is required. No one has yet come out with anything better for the Mac that is still Office compatible (which, for me, is a must). I also use Firefox, because Safari is a first class PITA, IMHO.