That last 4th down

srichter23

what would you have done in that situation?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Punt or go for it?

• Punt
    • Go for it

This subject is like one of Vick's dogs... Beaten to death.

P.S. I would have left the ball in our offense's hands considering how smooth we were all day and considering how sad our run D was looking.

well

those people may have reacted too emotionally

wait a few hours and rational thinking will set in

Its easy to say what we would've done in hindsight I know, but I feel Coach made the wrong decision. If we'd have gone for it and not made it, maybe I'm probally bitching about not punting it. But as soon as we got to fourth down I immediatly thought go for it. When we punted it, I turned to my buddies and said "GAMEOVER, we'll never see the ball again. (I was being cynical and rationally It wasn't gameover but I thought it was the wrong move.) Might have been a little different if we had all three timeouts but we didn't and while I love our guys on defense I didn't think they had quite enough to get it done against a high octane offense like the saints in crunch time.

In a different game in a different situation I might have punted, but now I honestly believe it was the wrong call:

* We couldn't stop them all day.

* It was a very manageable fourth down.

* Ryan was throwing the ball effectively.

* Even if you fail going for it, you can still hold the Saints to a field goal and you will get the ball back down by a touchdown.

It was the smart play on around their own 30. Being able to look in the rearview mirror obviously it would be nice to go for it but then if it does not go the Falcons way and the Saints score the general consensus would have been "What the F@#k were you thinking?"

No one needed a rear view mirror to understand at that exact point in the time/space continuum that our offense was on fire and our defense was a steaming pile of ****.

Sry, but I still would've punted. Smitty believed that the defense would step up and stop them. The falcons had some 3 and outs during the game. If it waz lest than 2 minutes, i'd went for it. @#$# happends. Time 2 move on and defend the dome against the suckanerrs.

that defense today couldnt stop the rushing attack of a high school powder puff team

see i thought we should go for it as well, but you have to make a quick call as a coach in that situation. i thought of everything you wrote after the game when i got a chance to really think about it. hindsight is 20/20. i would've went for it based on the fact the d seemed lost out there and couldn't stop the saints, but we had our opportunities before this.

boley dropped an INT

a barely missed INT in the redzone

ryan's INT when we were driving down their throats

more penalties than usual

a lot of things led up to this loss. despite our lack of defense today this team continued to grind and grind. this is still a young team and we just have to learn how to win football games like that. it will come with time, but we're just not at that level yet. tampa needs to be treated like a playoff game next week. dome needs to be rocking. i'm over the loss bring on da bucs!!!

Sry, but I still would've punted. Smitty believed that the defense would step up and stop them. The falcons had some 3 and outs during the game. If it waz lest than 2 minutes, i'd went for it. @#$# happends. Time 2 move on and defend the dome against the suckanerrs.

I'm pretty sure out of 10 Saints drives they didn't score on only 2... 1 of those 2 was to end the **** game.

if we went for it and not made it we still could have got a three and out and been in the same situation as after the punt

Sorta because a feild goal for the Saints means we would need to score a TD just to tie whereas a 3 & OUT and then TD would have won it.

I think he should have gone for it. Matt had been converting 3 & 5s all day. I know it's a whole different situation. Louder, different play calls on the Defense, not 4th & short, but 4th and pretty long. Still, at least today, we did not have the Defense to get the ball back from NO. Goal line stands, we've done a couple of times, but I can see not liking that matchup w/the Saints - especially at that point in the game.

At first I had no problem with it, becase I figured we still had time to get the ball back somehow, and technically we did have time. At the end of the day, we just let them off the hook in a big way.

But worse than that decision, I really did not like the challenge on the position of the ball for that first down. I don't know if people upstairs saw something and told him to throw it, but it came out mighty quick. It just seemed like he was madder than **** and reacted a little too quick.

Today reminded us that while Coach Smith has been great this season he is still mortal and prone to mistakes like anyother human. Hopefully he'll learn from today and we can benifit from this experiance in the future.

yes and he is a defensive minded guy and i bet hes pissed we didnt stop them and will be bringing in players who can make the stop!!!