Van Gorder's NOT gonna get it...

Gimmesomo!!!

hes too conservative. we need to generate pressure. if we're not getting pressure then blitz! i dont care how cruddy our coverage is, we face too many good qb's in this division to just let them have all day to throw.

hopefully he gets some experience and learns from this. its his first season after all

You have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about. Van Gorder is an excellent defensive coordinator and he has a bright future with the Falcons. He just needs the right players to make his system work. But to say he is not a good D-Coordinator is just stupid and you're showing your lack of football knowledge.

You have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about. Van Gorder is an excellent defensive coordinator and he has a bright future with the Falcons. He just needs the right players to make his system work. But to say he is not a good D-Coordinator is just stupid and you're showing your lack of football knowledge.

Agreed.

I'm sorry i just have to express my opinion: Van Gorder IS NOT a good defensive coordinator...time to find a new one...

Why?

He's got medocre to below average talent on the defense. Some of it is due to lack of talent, some due to inexperience and some due to old age. The man has produced a shutout, and a near shutout (SD) this year with what he has.

second that

You're joking right?

Van Gorder calls a good game...when your D tackles get punked like ours did and your linebackers don't have good instincts you'll have these issues. Our D has been overachieving all year b/c the only players that you can say are good or capable of playing at an elite level are Abe, Babs, Boley and Lofton as far as I'm concerned.

Agree...... but I would like to see tighter coverage. I know zone is zone but not a 20 yrd cushion

Better blitz packages ....get creative!

I think that's on the DBs though with regards to cushion. A couple of times I thought Foxworth gave too big a cushion and we got burnt b/c of it.

I'm sorry i just have to express my opinion: Van Gorder IS NOT a good defensive coordinator...time to find a new one...

How wrong you are can't even be expressed. I watched NFL matchup on ESPN this AM and they did an extensive look at how Van Gorder calls defensive schemes and he is very good and very creative. They highlighted several schemes that the Falcons use on the defensive line. Holding NO to 29 points at home is a very good performance. The issues that the team had were on special teams and with defensive personell. If you recall on the sweeps we had players in position but they could not make the plays. We need to get bigger and more physical at the outside backer positions. Brooking and Boley had a very hard time on the edges today.

I don't like what I'm seeing from Van Gorder. This game reminded me a lot of the Denver game in that we came out committed to stopping the pass and the opposing team just ran it right down our throats and we failed to adjust. I know we're trying to not give up the big play and for the most part we're doing a good job of that, but its pretty disgusting watching opposing quarterbacks being able to sit back in the pocket like that with very little pressure in their faces time and time again. I only saw us blitz 3 times all game and each one was the same. Why didn't we load up the box once it became clear that our defensive line could not stop the run? Why didn't we tighten up on the coverage after giving up so many short completions for first downs? Why did we not run a zone blitz or a safety spy designed to fool the quarterback into making a bad decision? Our talent level is not where we want it, but its not that bad.

I think that's on the DBs though with regards to cushion. A couple of times I thought Foxworth gave too big a cushion and we got burnt b/c of it.

Yeah saw that alot today......I was screaming move up dammit!

We did a **** of a job last time playing closer....dont know why we gave so much space........

Guess we were playing the long ball tooooo much.