Defense Wins Championships

FulCo

Until we get a much, much better defense, the Falcons will not win a championship.

The defense really let down Matt Ryan and the rest of the team today, giving up over 400 yards again to the Saints.

Head Coach Mike Smith put it on the defense at the end of the game, and they wilted like a flower in the sun.

Michael Boley could have stepped up and iced the game with an interception, but it fell harmlessly through his clumsy hands.

Great effort by the offense today, but the defense really let this team down and needs to step up if the team hopes for a playoff birth.

Go Falcons.

They couldn't stop any part of the Saints offense today.

The Saints ran between the tackles, ran to the outside, threw to the wide-outs, threw to the tight-ends all with ease.

We were totally dominated on defense.

This is not a good sign from a Head Coach that is supposed to be defense-oriented.

Van Gorder thoughts?

This is why, even if we make the playoffs, we will likely not go far. Our offense is awesome and our QB is sublime, but our defense is just as bad as our offense is good. If our defense showed up today, we would have won. It just annoys me that the Saints were able to do so many thing dont do well normally: run the ball and run in between the tackles.

I agree. There should be no debate about what we do in the off season. We have to build this defense. The secondary did not play too bad today but the DL (except for Abe, Babs) and the LBs were gashed all freakin game long by a finesse team. No excuse for that weak play.

You could also say that Ryan's first interception cost us the game. Gave the defense a short field to work with after they had stopped the #1 offense in the nfl on their first drive.

Then at the end of the game special teams gives our defense a chance to stop the #1 offense from the 12 yardline.

The saints kicked three field goals today. They didn't get three touchdowns. The Saints average 31.5 points a game at home, we held them to under their average.

Our coaches gameplanned for a wild passing attack. Not a conventional ground game. I fault the coaches for not adjusting to what the Saints were throwing it at us.

When you play the #1 offense in the league and give up a INT on the first drive of the game makes a difference.

The defense isn't great but they are definately above average. 8th in the league in points scored. I can care less how many yards we give up as long as we don't give up the points.

The Saints offense has been good, but it has mostly been their passing game. Today, the Falcons made a medicore running back in Pierre Thomas (who had not previously run for 100 yards in a game) look like a world beater.

We were going against the #1 offense in the NFL (who has been injured all year) now they're 100% healthy and you expect them to not execute? The turnover killed us, that's 7 points they shouldn't have ever gotten.

They couldn't stop any part of the Saints offense today.

The Saints ran between the tackles, ran to the outside, threw to the wide-outs, threw to the tight-ends all with ease.

We were totally dominated on defense.

This is not a good sign from a Head Coach that is supposed to be defense-oriented.

Van Gorder thoughts?

This is new regime's first season, everything is new.. Give them a break. We're 8-5, be happy.

Whatever happened to just watching the game and being a fan...

Passion is one thing...but you guys are being a little narrow-minded. When the team loses....the team loses. Not the Offense, not the defense

Was this loss attributed to...

-the QB run on 2nd and three?

-the defense looking confused (some other posters words)

-the Ryan int in the first Q?

-Coach Smith taking a break from coaching to play sodoku

-Van Gorder's mind being erased by terrorists who posed as Saint's fans

-The huge punt return in the 4th?

-Brooking forgetting to take his alzheimer meds and forgetting how to cover the TE?

Many of those are plausible, and many of those reasons echo the truly "chicken little" mentality that most Falcons fans adopt after a loss

GOD!!!!

The 2 biggest problems I saw on defense yesterday:

1. Lack of pass rush. Abraham was often doubled and neutralized and it seemed that no one else could get to the QB.

2. Our defense was so scared of the pass that draw plays owned us. The LBs would drop into coverage then Pierre Thomas gets the ball and there are no LBs in the middle to stop him. Too many times I saw Pierre run up the middle with nobody there behind the D-line.

I think our D is going to adjust and do fine from this game on. However, I agree, we got duped into chasing our tails all game.