Jonathan Casillas, OLB

We all know we are looking for Brooking's replacement this offseason, and we might even be looking for Boley's if our FO decides not to resign him. I like Boley, but I think there is a chance that TD doesn't want to pay him the kind of $$ he will want and of our upcoming FAs we designated Babs and Jenkins as the guys we had to resign first.

I am a strong advocate of drafting an OLB on the first day between Brandon Spikes//Gerald McRath//Sean Witherspoon.

However, even if we do draft one of these guys early I would still like to pick up another OLB later and there is no better guy in the draft than Jonathan Casillas from Wisconsin. I have scouted him since last year and he seems perfect for our Cover 2 defense.

Name: Jonathan Casillas

Height: 6'2

Weight: 226 lbs

40 yard dash: 4.40 - 4.48

Projected Round: 5-6

2006 stats: 13 Games Played; 83 total tackles (53 solo), 12.5 TFL, 2 sacks, 1 QB hurry, 1 FF, 1 INT, 4 PBU, 1 blocked kick/punt, 1 punt return TD

2007 stats: 13 Games Played; 96 total tackles (57 solo), 9 TFL, 1 sack, 3 QB hurries, 2 FF, 1 PBU

2008 stats: 10 Games Played; 62 total tackles (34 solo), 6 TFL, 1 sack, 1 QB hurry, 1 FF, 1 INT.

Recent news from NFLDraftScout:

11/25/08 - 2008 ALL-BIG TEN CONFERENCE HONORABLE MENTION (COACHES): Jonathan Casillas has been selected All-Big Ten Conference Honorable Mention for the 2008 college football season as selected by the league coaches. - Wisconsin Football

11/21/08 - PLAYERS TO WATCH: OLBs Jonathan Casillas and DeAndre Levy -- This pair of seniors have been fixtures in Madison for approximately 20 years and coach Bret Bielema says they're winding up their college careers playing their best ball. Casillas owns 245 career tackles, 28 TFLs, 4 forced fumbles, 3 blocked kicks and 2 interceptions. Levy has 196 career stops, 25 TFLs, 6 forced fumbles and 2 interceptions.

Scouting report from fftoolbox:

Jonathan Casillas of Wisconsin may not be the biggest guy, but he's one of the best football players in this year's draft class. Casillas is slightly undersized for the outside linebacker position, even for the college level. Despite this fact, he has been extremely productive for the Badgers. He appeared in 12 games as a freshman (mostly on special teams) and recorded 10 tackles and 2 blocked kicks. Since taking over the starting role on the weak side as a sophomore, Casillas has started 31 straight games and tallied 198 tackles, 22 tackles for loss, 3 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 2 interceptions, and broken up 6 passes in coverage. At only 6'2" and 226 pounds, many scouts will question his ability to hold up at the NFL level. He may be undersized, but Casillas makes up for this with blazing speed at the position. Wisconsin officials say he has unofficially run the 40 yard dash in the low 4.4 second range, a time that many defensive backs would envy. He is a solid open field tackler, and has the speed to run down backs and receivers from behind. Casillas is at his best in coverage, where his speed and instincts allow him to make plays. He can cover tight ends and running backs with ease, and is excellent in zone coverage. He has a knack for forcing receivers to run their routes into the deep safeties in cover 2, taking away a quarterback's options. If he is as fast as reported, he might even be able to convert to strong safety in the NFL. Because of his size, Casillas likely won't be drafted until the fifth round. If he lands with the right team (perhaps a Tampa 2 scheme), he could be a solid professional.

Overview from Consensus Draft Services:

A bit of a safety/linebacker tweener with the ball-skills of a safety and the instincts of a linebacker Casillas, is becoming one of the best linebackers in the Big 10.

From everything I've seen and read, Casillas could be a stud in a Cover 2 defense in the NFL. He is also a Special Teams stud, so he can immediately contribute there if nothing more. What do you guys think?

Hehe, look we agree for a change, he's a real good player that would be a great fit for our team ... I would take him as "project" with one of our 5t rounders. (and still take Spikes if he's there)

I also have a feeling, that Boley might ask for more money than TD wants to pay ...

Hehe, look we agree for a change, he's a real good player that would be a great fit for our team ... I would take him as "project" with one of our 5t rounders. (and still take Spikes if he's there)

I also have a feeling, that Boley might ask for more money than TD wants to pay ...

After seeing that you agreed with me, I built a bomb shelter for myself. If this isn't a sign of the end, then there is no apocalypse :lol:

After seeing that you agreed with me, I built a bomb shelter for myself. If this isn't a sign of the end, then there is no apocalypse :lol:

Strange things happen. I would know another prospect I'd like, but I'm sure you would hate him, so I keep quite till I write my "Mock v2" (but he's in the 5-6 round-range too)